Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

electronic exhaust?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Legitimate question... why can't those who want this noise get something that plays the sound *inside* of the vehicle?

If the sound plays *inside* of the vehicle, the passengers won't even be able to tell that it's not playing *outside*. It's a win/win scenario.
I used RevHeadz app for shits and giggles once in my ICE car. It connects through OBD2 port dongle plays engine sounds from V8 muscle to V12 Lamborghini. It was based on engine RPM and didn’t bother anyone else. I believe it also works based on speed, unless it can pull Tesla’s motor RPM, but that’s probably won’t be good either since its only a single speed. I had a 6-speed manual and the app knew what gear it was in.

It would be cool if Tesla did something like this natively. I would see myself using it once in a while.

Like others have said I enjoy engine noise when appropriate, but love the stance of quiet EV. I think I seen one of these systems and it was $2k+. I‘d rather spend that on Accel Boost or nicer wheels. No need to waste money to make noise for some strangers that didn’t ask for it in the first place.

There’s a model 3 in my area that has one of these and it was trippy to hear it go by.

Reactions: father_of_6
called up Borla, they will be releasing their system for the Mach E and Lightning. Unfortunately they are undecided on releasing for Tesla at this time.

Drive by sounds very good.

I don't take your question to be rhetorical, but please forgive me if it was.

Yesterday (Saturday) I was on a ladder staining my deck and multiple times was startled at the sound of loud roaring V8s on a nearby through street. It's unnerving, stressful, disruptive, and disturbs the peace.

If I stood on the public sidewalk in front of your house with a bullhorn making Jim Carrey's "the most annoying sound in the world", nobody would be okay with that... yet somehow we've normalized screaming V8s.

These artificial engine sounds aren't going to emulate the sound of a Toyota Camry, they're going to make the loudest, most disrespectful, small-penis sound available.

I very much appreciate how quiet EVs are... that anyone wants to add aftermarket sounds *just* for the sake of noise is disappointing. I suggest EV owners keep those sounds *inside* their cars... because the people outside of their cars definitely don't want to hear it.
That's very subjective. For every person who doesn't like the sound of an exhaust there is a person who loves it. I personally love the sound of the V8 Mustang with the Coyote motor. I think it's a beautiful combination.

That's very subjective. For every person who doesn't like the sound of an exhaust there is a person who loves it. I personally love the sound of the V8 Mustang with the Coyote motor. I think it's a beautiful combination.
Of course it's subjective... so is getting peed on. Some people like getting peed on.

If you pee on someone without their consent, it's likely you're going to jail.

No one asks for my consent before driving their monster truck or V8 by my house full throttle. I'm subjected to the terribleness without consent. It feels like an assault.

That's the difference. Loud exhausts are subjecting non-consenting ears to their noise. Painful noise. I think it should be illegal. I'm not allowed to spit on someone legally. What if I yell through a bullhorn into an unsuspecting stranger's ear? Is that assault? It's not so different than the loudest engine noises.

Last edited:
I too appreciate the sound of a good, high revving V8. One of the things i miss in EVs. yes, it can be annoying to hear crappy little Hondas with huge tin can resonators. But a well tuned, powerful V8 or even BMW straight six is music to my ears.

Know what I really miss? Modem sounds. They should make an attachment for my router that makes it sounds like a good-ol' US-Robotics 14.4 modem. Because how do you know your internet is really working if you don't hear the modem sounds? /s

I identify with this *way* more than engine sounds. Even better - I wish my Model 3 could play external modem sounds while driving 🤪

Reactions: tm1v2
Has anyone even bothered to see what Enginevox systems look and sound like? The one who wrote that Enginevox is similar to all other systems clearly has no idea what he is talking about.
Enginevox is a customised system. It consists of 6 speakers and is a full-fledged powerful full-range speaker system. I tested this system in great detail on the Tesla Model 3 and this is an unforgettable feeling of the power of the sound and the accuracy of the response to any changes in the driving mode. Enginevox cannot be compared to any other all-in-one active sound system with low-power drivers and implausible sound.

Has anyone even bothered to see what Enginevox systems look and sound like? The one who wrote that Enginevox is similar to all other systems clearly has no idea what he is talking about.
Enginevox is a customised system. It consists of 6 speakers and is a full-fledged powerful full-range speaker system. I tested this system in great detail on the Tesla Model 3 and this is an unforgettable feeling of the power of the sound and the accuracy of the response to any changes in the driving mode. Enginevox cannot be compared to any other all-in-one active sound system with low-power drivers and implausible sound.
Here is an example of the sound of the enginevox system on Tesla Model 3: