Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by dirkhh viewpost-right.png

I'll bet my Model S that we'll hit 1000 posts here prior to the announcement :smile:

/thread and I'll take your Model S:smile:

You distract everyone while I go unplug the server, then we split dirkh's car usage between us. With range anxiety about to be solved I'm sure we can work something out.

- - - Updated - - -

You drive 40mph on many US highways and your car will be riddled with bullet holes (OK, that may be a minor overstatement).

I am not interested in a clown car. There are a lot of people around here who carry their environmental consciousness on their sleeves and consider it a badge of honor to be in the left lane of I5 going 52mph. I'm the one passing them on the right, giving them the finger.

If you need to go 900km and there's no way to charge, please buy (or more likely, rent -- how often do you need to do that?) an ICE.

Agreed, So they built this amazing car that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds and destroys the stereotype of an electric car that has no power. Tries to change years and years of stereotyping what an electric car can't do. And we are talking driving slowly and reminding non-tesla owners about going back to this:

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with Elons tweet is that the fools on the financial networks, trying to find something to talk about, will run with the ball, make predictions and then be disappointed. And that means negative publicity which is not good for Tesla.

I'm sticking with Nav improvements + improved regen and inverter OTA magic to add a total of 10% more range to your Model S while cutting time wasted due to "range anxiety over charging" at superchargers by 30% !

Perhaps. The $2000 option makes some sense, but I see there being an a-la-carte option as well.

I agree to a point.

$2000 works if on average across the fleet people Supercharge something like once a month. (Ball parking 100 lifetime charges a go over 8 years @ $20)

However I see a big problem with offering a choice:

I have a 60, partially motivated by price, but also motivated by fitness for purpose (why buy loads of batteries I'll never use? ). So unlike many with 85's who speculate what the choice is like, I have first hand experience ;)

I would use a SpC twice a year tops, and am planning on keeping the car 3 years. @$2000 (£1800 here actually). It's just plain cheaper to take the Wife's ICE on those odd occasions I'm outside range. So I'd choose PAYG in a heartbeat.

I'm sure many 3 owners will sit down and do the same calc, and the result is clear:

- People doing big miles, with lots of SpC use, will go for the unlimited package.
- People doing low miles with infrequent SpC use, will go for the PAYG model.

As it stands the low mileage / infrequent SpC users are effectively subsidizing the heavy users (and limo firms :D).

With a split offering all the high users will go one way, all the low users would go the other. The fleet average SpC usage of the unlimited package cars, would be significantly higher than once per month, and the upfront price would have to go up a huge amount.

My view is the "Free for life" model is already under cost/ long term profitability pressure, given the throttling rumours, and tweaks to the website highlighting the intention of SpC's to be used for long distance travel.

I strongly suspect as part of the announcement will be the introduction of a "Fair Usage Policy", at least on new cars... not sure if they can retrospectively apply it to the existing fleet. Would be a monumental level of spin to get that one across in a positive way, and certainly something to be done by press conference, not tweet. I'm also expecting a "non- commercial usage" clause to be included.

"Supercharging, Free vehicle charging for life*"
(*Subject to Tesla's Fair Usage Policy, the latest copy can be seen here http://xxxxxx and is subject to change)

The problem with Elons tweet is that the fools on the financial networks, trying to find something to talk about, will run with the ball, make predictions and then be disappointed. And that means negative publicity which is not good for Tesla.

Yep. +1. It will be the same as with "the D". Stock price went downwards after the unveiling of the P85D because most people on the networks had fantasy world expectations as to what the D might be.

Some people speculated the D might happen to be a 500-mile-range AWD pick-up truck with falcon wing doors and awesome towing capacity. Others mistook the D for Model 3 and expected it to get into production in 2015...

Elon's "end" to range anxiety already got corrected to "address" range anxiety. So don't expect hidden hardware to get enabled via an OTA software update. It'd be MAD to enable hidden hardware on EVERY Model S in this world which hasn't been thoroughly checked by SCs before the OTA happens.

I agree to a point.

$2000 works if on average across the fleet people Supercharge something like once a month. (Ball parking 100 lifetime charges a go over 8 years @ $20)

I totally agree. However Tesla is not alwas honest. They are promoting EVs as much more reliable and easier(cheaper) to maintain, while charging 600$ annually. Not a big problem for over 60k$ car.
However as stated by someone - those are often most expensive cars people have bought. It's much more important for lower price segment. So people will run the numbers.

But main point is. Do I have free 2k$? No I don't have even free 35+ to pay for car. I'll need to lease it, borrow it. So I much more prefer car to be cheaper by 2k even if over 5+ years I'll leave 3k$ at SCs. Just like lot of people are buying smartphones cheap but using much more expensive tarrifs. It's just much easier for them if cost is spread over the years.
I agree - it makes no sense to pay more, but people live on the credit and are doing this permanently. Surprisingly lot of people.

Remember though, if this is an software "improvement", although it might not apply to our current Roadster's software, who is to say that this software "improvement" would not be part of the new Roadster range package (battery / aerodynamics / software)...(doin' my best here...)

I'm pretty sure the "entire fleet" doesn't include Roadsters either. 2.5 years ago he made a similar comment about 120kW Supercharging that everybody assumed really meant the entire fleet, but didn't - he was only talking about cars released after the final announcement (and a few lucky ones before it).

He's really not that precise with his language. He likes to make bold claims and create a big buzz. After the reveal, there will be people disappointed, and we'll see a whole bunch of "Well, that doesn't really solve range anxiety!" And Elon's OK with that, because this is all part of his $0 marketing plan. Many people will tune in for the announcement, and both before and after we are talking about the product for him. Not everything being said will be good, but what do you expect for $0? It's a lot better than not talking about it at all.