Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing new here, just registering my guess:

1. Improved consumption estimate factoring in wind and using data from all cars to continuously refine the model
2. Power and speed limit lines on the dashboard showing how you need to drive to make it to your destination

That's all.

Nothing new here, just registering my guess:

1. Improved consumption estimate factoring in wind and using data from all cars to continuously refine the model
2. Power and speed limit lines on the dashboard showing how you need to drive to make it to your destination

That's all.

Hi Peter,
Most likely you're right, but do you think this is a press conference worthy?

Background: Without the tech package, my S has the "Maps" icon instead of the "Nav" icon.
I can ask voice control to find an address, and it can locate it on the map. But without the tech package, I have no turn-by-turn directions.
And because my Tesla doesn't know my route, I have no Energy Prediction graphs etc.

So I wonder if Elon's announcement tomorrow will really end range anxiety for non tech package Model Ss. In order to do that, it seems Tesla will have to change our Map function to Nav function.
I also wonder if we will get some kind of watered down Nav, like no turn-by-turn.

Interested to hear others thoughts, although I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Late to this branch of the discussion. Assuming the update is intelligent nav, I'm in that same boat and it comes down to a few options I would think:

- non-tech get nothing

- non-tech get nothing with the option to pay $1,000 to enable nav, which is the unofficial current option. To enable nav currently requires premium sound (unofficially/unconfirmed) due to flash size on Model S without tech or premium sound (that would be my car). So it is possible that this option will not exist in any form for me.

- non-tech get nav without turn by turn

- non-tech get full nav (premium sound required possibly)

The last bit I'll throw in is perhaps, and this is a long shot, those without premium sound would be able to use a USB flash that could be detected and used for nav data, but probably not.

I'd be fine paying $1000 to get the full package if it is required, I think that's fair. I also think it would be fair to release it to all since current Model S comes standard with nav, and of course that's the option I would prefer.

EM changed his Twitter picture last night, debating that should get us to 1000 .Elon Musk (@elonmusk) | Twitter
No debate from me, his new Twitter photo and the caption "I have absolutely no idea how to play the violin" just made me laugh with pleasure! Great way to start the day.
And then I saw "1 AU" and that made me laugh again! I interpret that as Elon giving some information about his current location (on earth, which is 1 Astronomical Unit from the sun) implying that in the future he may be at 1.38 AU, the distance Mars is from the sun.
Elon has a marvelous sense of humor. And so does @Nevek, thank you for that outstanding limerick!

Hi Peter,
Most likely you're right, but do you think this is a press conference worthy?

First, it's a press 'call' so it's not like people are driving in/flying in, then gathering in a room with cameras and recorders and such; they're all just pushing a few numbers on their iPhones and Androids. Secondly, since Tesla does no formal advertising how else are they expected to 'tell the world' about the advancement of their product, if not by some sort of organized event? Lastly, Elon obviously thinks that what they've come up with is a big enough deal to organize an event so that the media, analysts and whomever else all get the information right from the horse's mouth and supposedly/hopefully have a chance to ask a few questions to clarify any specifics.

Twitter would seem to be quite effective, and frankly a press call is really outdated.

It's not quite effective as evidenced by the media headlines immediately following the character limiting tweet. Indeed, Elon had to tweet a few times to clarify the first tweet. A press call allows for him to elaborate or clarify until his heart's content. The media will still get it wrong (like the many times repeated 'demand is not an issue'), but at least he'll have had an opportunity to be exceedingly pointy if he wishes.

Twitter is a great way to grab attention, it's not a great way to deliver the specifics of product improvements - and you know that.

I managed to figure it out. Just in time, so to speak.
He will announce the RFC, the Reverse Flux Capacitor. When they drop acceleration by one tenth of a second (remember, he said that wouldn't be just for the P85D) the car will actually jump back in time by 0.1s, correct? Through the RFC this will generate 1.21GW over 0.1s or 33.6kWh and will recharge your battery.
Range anxiety solved.