Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Canning Referral Program!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a lost sale if they resell it to the next person to recoup the cash.

Yes, but that's an indirect lost sale. What everyone else seems to be implying is that Tesla is giving away 80 NGRs which is going to COST Tesla $20 million (80*$250k). It's not. Far from it.

But let's play a game and assume that every single NGR referral winner sells their car to potential buyer at full price ($250k), that's only $20 million in 'lost sales'. To put that in perspective, Tesla reported their 2018Q3 revenue was $6.8 billion. Assuming for a moment that 2019 revenue will be 4 times 2018Q3 revenue (although it will probably be much higher than that) -- that's $27.2 billion of revenue for 2019 as a rough, conservative, estimate. The $20 million of "lost sales" for the NGR awards is just.. wait for it... 0.07% of total annual revenue. In other words, a miniscule amount compared to the big picture.

Even taking an extreme view, worst case scenario, Tesla reported $312 million PROFIT in 2018Q3. Assuming again that 2019 is 4 times 2018Q3 profit, that's $1.25 billion in profit. The 80 'lost sales' of the NGRs would equate to just 1.6% of PROFIT in 2019. Again, not a huge number. And not all NGR referral award winners are going to sell theirs.

And since the NGR won't be available until 2020 or 2021 (more likely), and after the Model Y and Semi come online, these 2019 revenue and profit projections are very very conservative compared to what the will likely be in 2020 or 2021.

And none of this analysis includes the millions of dollars of free advertising that Tesla extracted from all the Youtubers and other outlets and websites promoting Tesla and the referral program. If the 80 free NGRs actually "cost" Tesla $20 million, they made out way way ahead of the game.

tl;dr: The 80 free NGRs given away amount to about bupkis compared to the big picture.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Your math was wrong by a factor of 10. The assumption (whoever is making it) that Tesla would be losing the full value of the NGRs ($250k) is also wrong.

Yes, it's costing them money to fulfill all the awards. But each NGR doesn't cost Tesla $250k and the winners would most likely not be buying one if they hadn't won one, so there's also no lost revenue either.

yes it was. The correct math was showing Tesla would lose more money. Maybe its not the full value of the roadster, but thats lost revenue opportunity for sure. Tesla cutting 7% of their staff probably saves them the same amount they would've made selling 80 roadsters. It's not exactly chump change.

The assumption isn't wrong because you said so. Fred on electrek is a pretty well respected reporting voice in the EV world.

Personally I think the biggest loss of advertising will be the Youtubers who won't have much to gain now that their forthcoming gifts are no longer coming to them. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching and obtained a lot of information before ordering Model X, also used my friends code to get unlimited SC so it did benefit me. I would have purchased my car without the code and Unlimited SC as will most people. I always love to show the car to people and never give any thought to giving out my code to anyone, it's such a great car you can't help but show it to people.