Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Compensation Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Compensation Package update (sale 2028 or earlier):

Believe it or not, the FUD, the short interest, even the phantom shares are not TSLA's biggest problem (and yes, I mean challenges to the SP, not problems for Tesla, who are fine). The biggest problem is Elon's 2018 CEO comp package, and what happens when he exercises his stock options. I've written here exhaustively on the topic, so I'll just summarize here:
  • Elon controls ~301M shares via vested stock options; he must exercise b4 exp. 04/28
  • Depending on the SP at the time of Excercise, Elon will owe either a huge or a gargantuan income tax bill, payable immediately
  • Unless Elon has cash to pay his income taxes, he's forced to sell ~53% of new shares. He also needs cash to pay Tesla the excercise price (EDIT: he could pre-sell older TSLA shares while paying a lower long-term capital gains tax rate to get that cash)
  • Selling shares to excercise Elon's 2012 Comp plan took the SP down a hundred bucks in a few days back in Dec 2022. That was just ~10% of the shares granted in the 2018 plan
  • a further drag on the SP is that Tesla will owe payroll taxes for Elon's stock compensation (to be reported on the next Qtrly results), which again was large in Q4-2022 (paging @The Accountant for an estimate of payroll taxes due when 2018-plan shares are executed; specifically confirmation that the amnt depends on the SP at time of exercise)
So the situation is that shortzes know Elon has to sell a fistful of shares, the SP will drop precipitously when he does (assisted no doubt by more naked shorting), then they can buy HALF of his new shares (~160M) on the open Market at fire sale prices, thus profiting from their years of perpetual shorting. Boo-yah!

It's an even worse dynamic in this one way, the interests of these shortzes and Elon are somewhat aligned: if the SP is lower, Elon pays less income tax (see the Starlink/FCC hatred for motivation #42 to give less $$ to the Federal Gov't). Bonus: Tesla pays less payroll tax.

Shortzes live in hope for this day (again which is NLT April 2028 or just over 4 years). They can cover, make back all the money they lost since the 5:1 split was announced on Aug 11, 2020. Phantasy League Shortsville. :p

Tesla is self-funding now, and isn't likely to ever need to go back to the Market to raise capital. Elon/Zach directed Tesla to use cash to pay down debt, thus removing their vulnerability to the Market attacks. This means there's only two sources of legitimate shares (not phantom/naked short shares):
  1. Elon's new shares being sold to pay taxes ( perhaps 160M shares to be sold), or
  2. Retail shareholders pannick sell (the puffins in the seagulls sights)
Point No. 2 explains the FUD attacks since CT delivery day in Nov 2023. They NEED your shares, and want to get them CHEEP. They're willing to spend big on a FUD campaign to get as many Retail shareholders as possible to pannick sell. And if certain comments on this forum are to be believed, it works (but public forums are rotten with trolls and eggplants).

Given my assessment above, I see 4 possible scenarios how this could play out:
  1. Elon sells his shares on the Open Market; SP tanks; Elon and Tesla pay minimum taxes; Retail 'weak-hands' pannick-sell and lose out on future gains (and a likely rapid recovery). Elon owns more TSLA after all this, but that's not cash for his City on Mars, which will require moar SELLING later, ad nauseum. Shortzes are the BIG WINNERS,
  2. Elon finds cash to exercise his shares outside selling TSLA (maybe why the 'G' won't fund rural Starlink, and other Musk Industries?) He still benefits from a lower SP though, so I don't seen him 'pumping' the SP until he's finished exercising his stock options. Big Winner: FATHER TIME since this could take until April 2028 to grind out the cash. (I rate this possibility as the least likely of these 3 options), and
  3. Elon let's the shortzes swing (see: "Henry Ford" since Aug 2018 | Arttful Dodger on TMC): Elon threatens to take his ball and go home, the SP tanks, Elon exercises his options on the cheap (and pays cash). SHORTZES get nothing, retail HODLers eventually recover ('weak' hands and Options 'gamers' are rekked), and Tesla pays miniumum payroll taxes. I rate this as a phantasy scenario, but we are taking Elon here...
  4. Elon and the Tesla Board create some sort of novel 'Shares-for-Votes' swap for his next CEO comp. plan: Elon said what he cares about is having ~25% of Tesla voting shares to guide the future of AGI at Tesla (a dubious thesis IMO). Would Elon be willing to trade some or all of his 2018 shares to get that? It'd be $10s of Billion$ to shareholders if he did, so may be accepted in a shareholders vote. Result is SHORTZES lose their exit plan, but have no real enforcement action which causes them to close their perpetual shorts/phantom shares. And the Game goes on... but hopefuly the Board learns that they created all these problems with the terms of their 2018 CEO comp. and will NEVER DO IT AGAIN!
Which do I think is most likely? #1. Which scenario would I prefer? #3. What will Elon do? WFKNs! :D

You're Welcome! and Thank-you, too! :D

Cheers to the longs

P.S. I inserted an edit above that Elon could pre-sell some of his existing shares to obtain the cash he needs to pay income taxes. This could be done as part of a 10b5-1 plan (like other Tesla Executives) with just 90 days notice, and be timed so that are stock options are exercised by April 2028. I truly hope the Board is thinking about exit ramps like this, as I await comments from @mongo ;)

New SEC Insider Trading Rules for Executives Trading in Company Stock | steel-eye.com (Mar 31, 2023)

304M (303,960,630) and January 20, 2028.

That's suspiciously close to Elon's exercise price for his 2018 CEO comp. plan shares. :p

Excerpted from: Tesla Special Proxy Statement Meeting held on Mar 31, 2018:
Exercise PriceFair Market Value (FMV) of Teslacommon stock on the date of grant, January 21, 2018, which was $350.02 per share (based on the closing price on January 19, 2018, the last trading day prior to the grant date).

TSLA has split 15:1 since this plan was adopted by shareholders on Mar 31, 2018 so the equivalent Excercise Price now is $350.02 / 15 = $23.335 so El Gordo's new SP is just 20 cents above that. Who says he can't read?! But this is quick confirmation that GLJ Research is a front for Short-faced bares... and who's paying the bills for the FUD. :p

Cheers!

P.S. Again, if the SP equals the Excercise Price at the time of excercise, Elon owes no extra income taxes on the gains, only income tax on the shares themselves, and Tesla also only would owe payroll taxes on the total Excercise amnt (paging @The Accountant for confirmation of this interpretation).

In that situation Elon makes NOTHING, there would be no gains, he would be buying shares at cost.
Tesla would owe $0 on payroll taxes on $0 earned.

A low execution price only reduces Elon's tax in dollars. Long term it hurts him as a percentage of the original award. The number of shares needed to sell to execute also increases with lower stock price (less gain per share).
Tesla would benefit from lower payroll taxes.

IIRC @mongo straightened us out on this issue previously: the number of shares to sell remains a fixed percentage of the number of share options executed, and depends on the tax rate (including all CA complications) but is/was around ~53% of the shares executed.

Again, I thank @mongo for staying on top of this issue. Grazie!

I know we keep butting heads on this...
Ideal is executing just before selling the shares, then he only gets taxed once.
The next best thing is executing at the highest price. The lower the exercise price, the more shares he must sell to execute which is disadvantageous. Taxes also work better if executed later:

If income tax is 50%, capital gains is 20%, and TSLA 10X from original award to sale starting at $100 above basis:
Execute at start, $100 above basis:
$100-50% = $50
10x = $500
Sell: $50 + 80%*450 = $410 Net, $140 tax paid

Execute and sell at end, $1000 above basis:
$100 x10= $1000
$1000 - 50% = $500 net, $500 tax paid
More tax paid in dollars but more money in his pocket because tax is a lower percentage.

Why? Because he doesn't get any further return on the tax paid at exercise (nor the basis).

Half way
$100 * 3.16 = 316 * 50% = $158 net $158 tax
$158 * 3.16 = $158 basis + 341 gains * 80% = $273
$431 take home $246 tax

Using outside cash to cover basis and tax instead of selling shares is identical to just buying shares, they're fungible. If he were going to buy stock, he should do so before it appreciates.

• Helpful
Reactions: Christine69420
Elon has 304M stock options which expire on January 20, 2028. Given a 53% tax rate, Elon would need to sell about 161M of those shares just to pay the income taxes.

There are precisely 1,453 trading days between Monday and Expiry day. He'd need to sell an average of over 110K shares EVERY TRADING DAY for the next 4 years just to execute his stock options (he'd still need $7.1B in cash for the $23.33/share execution price).

You think that wouldn't tank the SP? No, there needs to be a better plan... and the Board should get on this.

Reactions: RabidYak
  1. Elon leaves Tesla
  2. Replacement package
  3. Move to Texas and appeal (is this possible?)
  4. Shareholders could vote against appeal
  5. New package replaces old
  6. Appeal, wait for Trump
  7. Bonus for previous years - cash could be used to pay for new options
Some options in no particular order.

This was an extreme, likely activist, position taken by this particular judge, for two reasons:
  1. the Burden of Proof is NEVER on the Defendant, ALWAYS on the Plaintiff (this is so basic a mistake as to be staggeringly wrong in legal terms), and
  2. the "Fairness" of the CEO Comp plan was voted upon, and settled, by the shareholders on March 31, 2018. If the Majority felt it was a unfair plan, the plan would not have been adopted by a vote of Shareholders.
This judge likely knew all this, and did it anyway simply because it will take 7+ years in appeal to get this farcical ruling undone. Elon's share options expire in less than 4 years (Jan 20, 2028), requiring a replacement Comp. plan by practical necessity. Then more court cases...

Here's the problem going forward for any new Comp plan: Would Elon trust that he won't get the 'Delaware Rug-pull' again after he's done all the hard work? I sure wouldn't, and sadly would vote against such a plan. Pay the man some cash, BoD! You got lots.

It's a normal thing, corporate redomestication.

• Funny
Reactions: B@ndit
From the general tone of the ruling, this board has almost no chance of drafting a comp. plan that wouldn't be challenged in (a biased Delaware) court. Even 3rd-party 'independent' contributors are going to get hauled into court, simple because this ruling has chummed the waters, and the shark can smell the odor in the water...

I think the first move has to be to redomicile the company to Texas, we'll know shortly (Elon's poll was set to 24 hrs -- as if that wasn't also pre-planned as a response to this event).

A new comp. plan can come once the Delaware issue is resolved. Quickest way is simply to not appeal the ruling, but move forward elsewhere.

Reactions: GSP
So TSLA will move its incorporation to Texas. Reading between the lines, it looks like that has been in the works for awhile now but they needed to get the Delaware suit settled first.

This is how Elon will get his 25% control without giving him common stock. Apparently, there was no legal way to do this in Delaware but it can be done in Texas? No matter how the Delaware suit turned out, it looks like they were planning to move incorporation to Texas.

This could give shareholders everything they want. Elon sticks around and runs Tesla for a long time into the future. Furthermore, Elon's new compensation package could be structured so there is less dilution of shares. Elon would not be as rich, but he would have more control. And shares of TSLA would suddenly be worth more.

Admittedly, I'm talking out my rear end here. The legal maneuvering to make this happen is far beyond me. But it seems possible and it seems that is what Elon has been angling for.

We can only hope the Delaware Supreme Court can see reality.

Reactions: RabidYak
No it wouldn't. I don't think the shareholders want TSLA removed from the S&P500.

Even if it was possible to add another class of shares, doing so would remove TSLA from the S&P500, since they changed the rules to not allow multiple classes of shares. (They grandfathered in the companies that already had multiple classes before they changed the rules.)
Presumably moving to Texas wouldn't be an issue with S&P500.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe anyone being honest and thinking clearly can argue with the following:

• Overturning Musk's pay package might hurt future votes, even from supporters. They might think he already delivered and deserves no further pay.
  • The judge did not understand the distinction between payment for continued and ongoing work, versus the incentive an individual has when owning shares (or options) in a company
  • Shareholders voted on clear performance-based compensation, not board intentions. A transparent, even outrageous, plan with high goals would still get a vote. Rejecting the majority vote sets a bad precedent.

I didn't see anything in the procedural ruling that was difficult to understand for someone who isn't a lawyer, and I've now asked a lot of lawyers. Even if a Godlike lawyer came down from the sky and told me that the ruling made perfect legal sense, I'd then say, fine, some laws need to be changed, because this will lead to derangement down the line.