Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms that the FSD sneak peak is for car with HW3 only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you explain that? Also, I was in the batch of initial purchasers of FSD that Musk said, due to dramatic pricing change, they would invite us into the NDA Early Access Program. Many of us have not heard boo since, except Musk said in a tweet "that is still the plan". That was likely more than a month ago. Is that the EA you refer to or are you referring to Advanced updates?

Musk is between a rock and a hard place.

I'm quite sure he want's EVERYONE to have FSD - especially since tesla has the only advanced game in town - and they have no advertising for it except for customers.

Musk - who really isn't a car person as much as he is a sustainable energy - clean the planet - sustainable energy enthusiast - who is using the automotive industry to further that goal.

How can you not give something away and make a ton of money on it without overpricing people away from it?

This thread is about HW3 and FSD.

To understand my comment.....you must get off the ground first.

He is a physicist concerned about the earth/environment/etc......and is using the sales of cars to get to that goal. He is FAR from where is primary interest is.
Why minimize his interests? It doesn't obviate the rest of your claims. Or rather, why make a (false) claim that doesn't support your point nor relate to FSD hw3 etc etc etc.

He's had classic jags, BMWs, Porsches, t-types, etc....

so he likes cars. and he wants to make a financially successful (car) business that enables him to advance his environmental agenda. See? Works just as well. Without the ...erm...untruths

Yet another adventure of Tesla leaving HW2 EAP owners potentially in the dark. I'm for sure that this will require HW3.

https://electrek.co/2019/12/27/tesla-patents-data-pipeline-deep-learning-autonomous-driving/

I don't foresee Tesla putting out any more FSD features for HW2.

Uh... duh.

That's why if you buy FSD you get HW3 for free. It's required for any actual new FSD function

This has been known for a long time now.

Everything up through today (other than visualizations) is the same on cars with just enhanced AP on HW2.5

Future features will require HW3.

Which doesn't leave anybody "in the dark"

Enhanced AP guys got everything they were promised already.

FSD guys will get HW3 and future features.

If Enhanced AP guys want to become FSD guys they can buy into that anytime they like.

Yet another adventure of Tesla leaving HW2 EAP owners potentially in the dark. I'm for sure that this will require HW3.

Tesla patents data pipeline and deep learning system for autonomous driving - Electrek

I think you are correct. And as someone with just EAP, I'm ok with that. (Yeah, the new cone visualizations are cool, and it means NN progress is being made, but I rarely look at my video screen now while I'm driving, so I could care less about visualizing such things.)

Tesla patents data pipeline and deep learning system for autonomous driving - Electrek

Yeah, there must be thousands of owners who paid for and enjoy EAP with version 2.5 hardware, and for those who didn't pay for FSD it must hurt to know that you're not getting all the extra features that someone who bought the car more recently would experience for the same price.

It's hard to say what makes a fair scenario here. Typical car companies would come up with a newer generation every few years, and between the few years of the same generation, all features are pretty much the same. Though that approach came with its own shortcomings.

Reactions: MattUNI
Yeah, there must be thousands of owners who paid for and enjoy EAP with version 2.5 hardware, and for those who didn't pay for FSD it must hurt to know that you're not getting all the extra features that someone who bought the car more recently would experience for the same price.

....err... HW3 currently has no extra features at all other than more stuff on the road display.

And old HW2.5 EAP only users have lots of actual features that new buyers do not get for free at all like lane changing on AP, navigate on autopilot, auto park, summon and advanced summon, etc...

To get those extra features a new buyer today needs to spend $7000 on FSD.

And funny enough- the EAP guy can get the stuff the HW3 guy does (though probably not starting till next quarter) by paying thousands less to add FSD and get the HW3 upgrade with it.

Really, really, really not seeing the issue here at all.

I wish they'd bring back the 'middle option' (EAP) since FSD is still a LOOOONG way off by all accounts and EAP is much better than regular AP.

I am not ready to spend $7k on a software option. I *would* spend $2k more, say, to get EAP. $1k would be the sweet spot, but I don't expect to see that price point anytime soon.

my car is new, 3 mos old and does have the latest hw, but $7k is a LOT of money to most people and the state of FSD isn't even close to the full $7k they are asking.

elon should admit that a middle step is needed and would also get more cars generating DATA under EAP. finally, a step from EAP to FSD (cost-wise) will be easier to take when done in steps rather than one fell swoop.

sometimes, I don't see how tesla makes their business decisions. this one looks like an easy one, not taking more than a few minutes thought, at most. boggle.

Reactions: willow_hiller
What Tesla is doing is an old marketing trick. I remember around year 2010 AT&T was selling messaging packages, like 200 for 5$, 1000 for 10$ and Unlimited for 20$. 1000 option was just enough for me. Guess what they did? Removed 1000 option. So now I should either buy less what I need or more than I need.

Most companies can figure out good pricing with optimal features. In reality they want to give you some options, which look like reasonable, but ideally upselling customers more stuff.

So to ‘force a customer’s hand’ to buy future FSD, Tesla needed to remove currently available EAP. We should see the situation fir what it is. I’m not saying it is evil, I bought FSD, but this is how it works.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve

And what "extra features" would those be? (besides cone & light visualization, which I personally would never use since I keep my eyes on the road, particularly when driving thru lanes narrowed by cones)

What Tesla is doing is an old marketing trick. I remember around year 2010 AT&T was selling messaging packages, like 200 for 5$, 1000 for 10$ and Unlimited for 20$. 1000 option was just enough for me. Guess what they did? Removed 1000 option. So now I should either buy less what I need or more than I need.

Most companies can figure out good pricing with optimal features. In reality they want to give you some options, which look like reasonable, but ideally upselling customers more stuff.

So to ‘force a customer’s hand’ to buy future FSD, Tesla needed to remove currently available EAP. We should see the situation fir what it is. I’m not saying it is evil, I bought FSD, but this is how it works.

= 32GB iPad in 2019

You guys like your complexed discussions and it's healthy and robust.
I have a simple ?? I have a 2016 S Model.. Considering the new update being sent out as we speak. I have AutoPilot, but of the new update what can I expect to get for my car.
Will I be able to buy an upgrade for the self driving skills are do I buy a new car??? Your thoughts??

Active Doc

You guys like your complexed discussions and it's healthy and robust.
I have a simple ?? I have a 2016 S Model.. Considering the new update being sent out as we speak. I have AutoPilot, but of the new update what can I expect to get for my car.
Will I be able to buy an upgrade for the self driving skills are do I buy a new car??? Your thoughts??

Active Doc
We need more information. Does your 2016 Model S have AP 1 or AP 2 hardware?