Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their opinions echo those of the safety crowd. I would treat with respect without name calling. I'm glad they are on this board raising their concerns. I've learned a lot from their posts.
Nonsense - they don't display the same amount of respect for human life in other circumstances. If they were so "concerned" they should be fighting to completely shutdown the economy now.

I don't value hypocrisy.

I really think Tesla needs to embrace the personal account and business account concept that so many companies take.

He keeps touting robotaxi as the reason for the high pricetag but a large majority of the people who bought this are never going to taxi out their personal car for a few extra bucks. $12k may be a steal to a company like UBER though.

Think of windows and so many business facing software. They charge different amounts for companies. FSD should be one price for private use, but unlocks a commercial use if you pay more or something.

Reactions: israndy
Thats why their consumer AV suit is camera only with no redundancy in terms of sensors.

This is incorrect. You are probably thinking of SuperVision but that is L2+, it is not going on the consumer AV (L4). The consumer AV will have the "true redundancy" package with cameras, radar and lidar. The vision-only suit is only for the L2+ system.

Sure, you could have no regulations as long as there’s a safety driver in the vehicle monitoring the system.
I don’t agree, I think AV testing needs regulations. At the very least enough oversight to determine how safe it is.
I think the point is to maintain a balance, and ensure that regulations are constructive and unbiased (many are neither). Right now, several safety innovations deployed for some time in Europe (smart headlights, cameras for wing mirrors) are not allowed in the US because the regulations dont allow them, and it is taking forever for the regulations to be updated.

All it takes is one politician to decide there are votes in "protecting the public from those outrageous, dangerous AVs" that he read about in our "unbiased" press and POW, everything gets stuck for 5+ years of bickering and power-jostling and lobbying. Ugly.

Nonsense - they don't display the same amount of respect for human life in other circumstances. If they were so "concerned" they should be fighting to completely shutdown the economy now.

I don't value hypocrisy.
I'm not sure where this charge of hypocrisy is coming from. As you can see in my avatar I take COVID very seriously (though I have switched from the full face P100 to 3M Aura N95s for the Delta and Omicron waves). I am neither calling for a shutdown of the economy nor a shutdown of AV testing. My safety standard for AV testing (and ADAS, and deployed AVs) is that such systems should not make the roads less safe.

I think the point is to maintain a balance, and ensure that regulations are constructive and unbiased (many are neither). Right now, several safety innovations deployed for some time in Europe (smart headlights, cameras for wing mirrors) are not allowed in the US because the regulations dont allow them, and it is taking forever for the regulations to be updated.

All it takes is one politician to decide there are votes in "protecting the public from those outrageous, dangerous AVs" that he read about in our "unbiased" press and POW, everything gets stuck for 5+ years of bickering and power-jostling and lobbying. Ugly.
I would say there is zero chance of AV testing or AV deployment having any significant restrictions in the US. On one side you have regulators at DMVs and the NHTSA who all seem to be very pro AV plus the investors who've put in billions of dollars. On the other side you have who? Some crazy luddites?

• Funny
Reactions: israndy and nvx1977
See below.

How much would that feature be worth when its approved and working. What about if you can do the same thing on city streets ?
$4k. I should have been clearer that my suggestion would be for an initial phase since IMO it's actually doable as proposed. City Streets would of course be valuable but how about trying something less ambitious for the first regulatory approved rollout. I'm not convinced FSD with the current cameras and sensors will evert support a full Robotaxi service anyway.

“Camera for wing mirrors”.. yes please! I’d love to see the roadster be one of the first cars to do this (in the us).

Hardware is there. We are talking about software though. Look at the feature list.

EPA doesn’t rate mileage based on “future of batteries” but the current one.

Full Self-Driving Capability​

$12,000

1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon
  5. Full Self-Driving Computer
  6. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

Coming Soon​

1. Autosteer on city streets

The Future of Autopilot​

All Tesla vehicles have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at a safety level we believe will be at least twice as good as the average human driver.

What I find funny about that list is it says "Autosteer on City Streets"

But, we all know FSD Beta is more than Autosteer on City Streets.

Now it's missing a LOT of components to even be a beta version of Robotaxi. But, at the same time its more than Autosteer on City Streets.

Whoever is in charge of the website needs to sit down with Elon, and the AP/FSD Engineers to get on the same page as to what they're doing.

So what happen to this Elon Tweets thread? We sure do manage to digress a lot on these forums :)

What I find hilarious is this is an Elon tweet thread yet most of the disagreements are about the website.

Elon has always been consistent about what he sees FSD being. Even when FSD was shuffled around in 2019 he seemed full committed to the autonomous capabilities of it.

That its a Robo taxi and you can make money off your car
That it will be way safer than humans
That it will be L5 (at least I recall him tweeting this)

What I find hilarious is this is an Elon tweet thread yet most of the disagreements are about the website.

Elon has always been consistent about what he sees FSD being. Even when FSD was shuffled around in 2019 he seemed full committed to the autonomous capabilities of it.

That its a Robo taxi and you can make money off your car
That it will be way safer than humans
That it will be L5 (at least I recall him tweeting this)
Just did a search and I don't think he ever tweeted it. Of course all this SAE Level drama is silly and triggering to many TMC members so I'm trying harder to avoid it. The only mention of L5, other than in response to a question (which I guess doesn't count!), that I know of was at the AP2 announcement.
"the basic news is that all Tesla vehicles exiting the factory have the hardware necessary for level 5 autonomy so that in terms of the connector cameras and compute power it's every call we make, on the order of two thousand cars a week, are shipping now with Level 5 meaning hardware capable of a full self-driving or driverless capability so it will take us some time you know in the future to complete validation of the software and also get through required regulatory approval but the important thing is that the foundation is laid for the cars to be fully autonomous at a safety level we believe to be at least twice that of a person may be better so I think that's probably unexpected by most that it's happening right now"

Just did a search and I don't think he ever tweeted it. Of course all this SAE Level drama is silly and triggering to many TMC members so I'm trying harder to avoid it. The only mention of L5, other than in response to a question (which I guess doesn't count!), that I know of was at the AP2 announcement.
"the basic news is that all Tesla vehicles exiting the factory have the hardware necessary for level 5 autonomy so that in terms of the connector cameras and compute power it's every call we make, on the order of two thousand cars a week, are shipping now with Level 5 meaning hardware capable of a full self-driving or driverless capability so it will take us some time you know in the future to complete validation of the software and also get through required regulatory approval but the important thing is that the foundation is laid for the cars to be fully autonomous at a safety level we believe to be at least twice that of a person may be better so I think that's probably unexpected by most that it's happening right now"

I'd have to verify it, but this article mentions it being said in an earning call.

There is also this., but again its not a tweet. In any case I think we can all agree that the level of autonomy that Musk advertises with his Tweets/Talks/Earnings calls/etc allows for no driver in the drivers seat. It doesn't really matter to me if someone thinks of it as L4 or L5, but it has to be one of those as L3 simply won't cut it.

Reactions: daktari
Drafting has enormous benefits in range/mileage.

If you're close enough you can also avoid any flying debris.

Of course 99% of the time its done it has no benefit, and the driver is just being an idiot.

My first year of ownership of my Model 3, I was obsessed with seeing how efficient I could get my Wh/mi numbers. I remember setting follow distance to 1 and then finding a tractor trailer to follow that was going my typical highway speed (around 70mph). I would get about 30Wh/mi improvement drafting off the semi.

I know all about this phenomenon biking with my triathlon club, but when you're in a car, you don't really feel the efficiency gain because your legs don't get tired from moving the car.