Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Elon getting cheap on SXM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My last car was a new Chevy and I don't think the trial was that long.
With the streaming options I can't see many folks springing for XM so a free trial is not worth the hassle to enable.
It is crap anyway I have a 15 mile a day round trip commute and found XM repetitive during the 3-6month trial I had it.
The user interface and Nav in the Chevy center screen we're horrible compared to Tesla if I am being generous to Chevy.

Many years ago, I worked for XM (before they merged with Sirius). The not-so-hidden secret is that they have very high “sunk costs” and very low “direct cost of delivery”. This means that, except for content licensing and production fees, they have a near zero cost for delivery to a new subscriber, and a huge monthly debt service they have to pay. Therefore they’ll accept almost any offer of money for subscription per month. They’ll even provide zero fee subscriptions with the hope that you’ll continue service in the future. Just call and ask them.

It’s XM, not the vehicle dealer or manufacturer that’s subsidizing the cost. XM/Sirius want people to become hooked on the service so that they’ll pay for a yearly subscription. They even pay to have the radios integrated into the cars. And they provide kickbacks to the vehicle manufacturers for each subscription earned. Because if they didn’t, then the manufacturers wouldn’t provide design/engineering time to include the radios.

So I think your assertion above is not quite correct. Tesla likely has no direct control over the 1-year free subscription model. XM/Sirius might be withholding that free period because they know Tesla offers free internet “radio” options, and therefore Tesla owners signup at a lower rate than other manufacturers. This might also just be a process thing (there’s some registration forms the dealer has to provide XM/Sirius to get each free subscription established). Tesla simply might not have time to perform that work for everyone, unless they ask.

My last car was a new Chevy and I don't think the trial was that long.
With the streaming options I can't see many folks springing for XM so a free trial is not worth the hassle to enable.
It is crap anyway I have a 15 mile a day round trip commute and found XM repetitive during the 3-6month trial I had it.
The user interface and Nav in the Chevy center screen we're horrible compared to Tesla if I am being generous to Chevy.
Our Volt in 2013 had a month or 3 month trial. But we didn't use it because we listen to our music that we buy and have on our devices.
The free SiriusXM is probably like free anti-virus on PCs, where it's all about kickbacks.
On our Volt, unfortunately the infotainment is very annoying, with XM always enabled, but Bluetooth disabled if no phone is currently connected.

Reactions: SSedan
Our last car, an Acura, came with three months free.

My mom’s new car, a BMW, comes with a year.

I’m not a fan of their business practices. Low cost, short term offers that automatically convert. 15 minute phone conversation to cancel. I wouldn’t sign up with them again.

But the do have lots of sports and Howard so I can understand why some might.

I gave up XM radio when I bought my Model S without the upgraded sound... I missed it at 1st but you kind of get used to it. I have XM built into the sound system of my summer home and I signed up last summer but cancelled it after a month bc i'm used to spotify and apple music and found I didn't used XM that much anymore,

Since getting a Tidal subscription I can’t go back to listening to low res SXM

is Tidal really that much better? any idea if it's better than Spotify or Apple Music in terms of sound quality?

Reactions: hh83917
I have to warn you that it is extremely difficult to cancel your subscription. You have to call them and go through a gauntlet of reps who will waste your time trying to convince you to keep your subscription. Even after all that, sometimes they don't cancel and you have to call them again. Totally sleazy company. I finally deleted my credit card information from the web site. They kept sending me bills but couldn't charge me so they finally gave up and cancelled me.

I have to warn you that it is extremely difficult to cancel your subscription. You have to call them and go through a gauntlet of reps who will waste your time trying to convince you to keep your subscription. Even after all that, sometimes they don't cancel and you have to call them again. Totally sleazy company. I finally deleted my credit card information from the web site. They kept sending me bills but couldn't charge me so they finally gave up and cancelled me.
When you have a business where people suggest paying extra to pay by mail, you know there's something wrong with it.

Reactions: frank-datank
It’s MP3 quality vs CD quality in terms of Spotify (192-320kbps) and Tidal (1400kbps). Bigger difference on higher end equipment but I notice a huge difference in the X with premium sound upgrade.

SXM is something like 64-128kbps depending on the channel.

But Tidal HiFI is required to get the CD quality and it’s $20/month.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
It’s MP3 quality vs CD quality in terms of Spotify (192-320kbps) and Tidal (1400kbps). Bigger difference on higher end equipment but I notice a huge difference in the X with premium sound upgrade.
SXM is something like 64-128kbps depending on the channel.
But Tidal HiFI is required to get the CD quality and it’s $20/month.

CD quality is only 44.1 kHz x 16 bit. Virtually any download or streaming service far exceed CD quality. Most XM runs at 16 to 32 kbps, especially the talk, comedy and sports channels. There are only a few channels that run 64 or higher. I tried it several years ago, but never saw the point due to the poor audio quality.

CD quality is only 44.1 kHz x 16 bit. Virtually any download or streaming service far exceed CD quality. Most XM runs at 16 to 32 kbps, especially the talk, comedy and sports channels. There are only a few channels that run 64 or higher. I tried it several years ago, but never saw the point due to the poor audio quality.
I think we need some math here. CDs are 44.1 kHz x 16 bit = 1411 kbps. This is uncompressed so no compression artifacts. Much higher quality than any streaming service which all have a lower bitrate as well as (mostly) lossy compression.

• Informative
When we got our model S 2 years ago there was no Sirius trial
One tip if you want to use Sirius
Once any trial or subscription is about to expire just call Sirius and tell them you want to cancel
They will first offer you a 1 year subscription at a reduced rate
If you reject that or tell them you know of a 6 month pan, they’ll likely give you a 6 month offer at an even better rate
We call every time a subscription is near expiration
We’ve gotten about a half price deal every time
It will take about a 15 minute phone call
We always tell em we like the service but don’t use it enough to justify the price

When we got our model S 2 years ago there was no Sirius trial
One tip if you want to use Sirius
Once any trial or subscription is about to expire just call Sirius and tell them you want to cancel
They will first offer you a 1 year subscription at a reduced rate
If you reject that or tell them you know of a 6 month pan, they’ll likely give you a 6 month offer at an even better rate
We call every time a subscription is near expiration
We’ve gotten about a half price deal every time
It will take about a 15 minute phone call
We always tell em we like the service but don’t use it enough to justify the price
They also add on a extra fee for "royalties" (or something like that) after you have negotiated a price so be sure to include this in your negotiations.

While the OP is accusing Tesla of being cheap, it may also be that the OP is being cheap wanting something for nothing.

Unless you are a Howard fan or crave sports talk the free streaming and radio are probably good enough listening options...and they are FREE!

I’m so tired of the argument “...if you get X brand car you even get it!” If said cheap car was remotely at parity on any of the expensive tech or benefits of a Tesla it might hold water. But it isn’t. Life and products are about priorities. Can’t have everything. Not even on Christmas. I’d much rather have the best drivetrain on the planet.

Last edited: