TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon in Iron Man 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by flabby, May 8, 2010.

1. flabby

flabby Member

Elon musk had a speaking role in Iron Man 2. I just saw the movie and was caught quite off guard by his appearance. It was just a couple of lines- he played himself. I was tempted to jump up and yell, "Hey, that's the CEO of Tesla Motors."

I wonder how many people in the theatre actually know who he is?

2. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

Saw the film yesterday too and definitely caught this. He says to Tony Stark, "Hey Tony, I've got an idea for an electric jet!"

I think I was the only person in the theater that got the joke/reference. :tongue:

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Just saw the film tonight. I thought the mention of the electric jet was a nice touch. Though, an electric jet isn't as fetched as his actual claimed idea which is a supersonic electric jet.

Another Elon connection is that most (all?) of the scenes for Justin Hammer's facility were shot at SpaceX which I recognized from the LA Model S launch party.

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

And the Monaco GP track was rebuilt in the lot of Downey Studios...

(hmm... maybe that is what delayed things.)

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I thought it odd that Elon traded out the shooting at SpaceX with a part himself not his actor wife.

I thought the line was Elon: "[Tony] Thanks for the idea of an electric jet."

6. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

I thought Elon said something like "Hey, I've got an idea for an electric jet" to which Stark (err... Downey) responds "I'll see what we can work out" but I saw it at midnight on opening day so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Realistically, yes, a supersonic electric jet is crazy but considering the micro-reactor in Stark's chest a supersonic electric jet, in Iron Man context, is probably a possibility. :wink:

Yep, Hammer's facility was located at SpaceX. I all the "bad guys" planning scenes appeared to have been done inside SpaceX.

Sorry to go a bit OT but, on a side note, I was disappointed about not even seeing the Roadster in Iron Man 2. I love the R8 V10 but, in movie context, the high-tech Roadster seems much more up Stark's alley.

7. doug

#7 doug, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
    My recollection is close to that. "Hey Tony, I've got this idea for an electric jet..."

Which is why I thought he should have actually specified supersonic.

Like here:
    [​IMG]

Not off topic at all. I was disappointed not to see a Roadster Sport or even a shadow of the Model S. I'm sure Audi payed well for the R8 being featured, though. And that high speed drive from New York to DC (IIRC) would have stretched the Roadster's range. Of course if he stuck an arc reactor in there...

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I thought he actually flew to DC (since he flew back).

Loved seeing the R8, I'll stick to the coupe though

9. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

From How Iron Man 2′s Wild Special Effects Were Filmed:

10. doug

As I remember it, Tony Stark and Jon Favreau's character go to see the R8 while leaving the Stark Expo (in NY). They get in the car and a pretty woman serves Tony a subpoena to appear in Washington. Tony asks how far it is to Washington and it is implied they drove there in the R8.

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

implied just because he drove off right after that. Logically though, he drove the R8 to DC, then flew a plane back, then later had the R8 again back in NY?

12. doug

It was a pretty strong implication that he drove to DC. Flew back where? His house is in California and the next major scene with him (after the senate hearing) is there. He's also later seen driving the R8 in California. There was another Audi (black sedan) in New York (perhaps others) and then the Rolls in Monaco.

13. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Fair point... *shrug*

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

15. electrabishi

electrabishi Member

I caught the show a couple days ago to. And while I did not readily identify Elon as himself, I did catch it in the credits and remembered the scene and that it was him. Wish they would have worked a Tesla in there though. Tony could have retro fitted one with one of those ARC Reactors ;-)

Mike

16. doug

The Carnage Of Iron Man 2 - Jalopnik.com

[​IMG]

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

All that trivia and they missed that Downey Studios is likely to be the Model S plant.

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

PS The TV show Ultimate Factories recently covered the Audi R8 line. They had coverage of the film and showed footage of the car in an unused climax of the film where it's driven/crashed into the bad guy. Hype line was that the car would not wreck enough cause it's so good...

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

that was from the first one, and I thought it was the Q5/7 they were trying to crash (or maybe it was the Q that wouldn't spin out)