Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon in Munich on Jan 30, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is so so so wrong. Imagine worst case scenarios. You like to drive 80+mph. Through the mountains. With a ski rack. In 0F weather. AND you like to take regular day trips to go to ski country. Maybe you also like to have a little fun on snow covered roads. You get to park in a parking lot that has little except for snow in it, so no charging. You're already in the ~150 mile range from your "300 mile" pack, and you might have made it there ONE WAY with a 100% charge. Maybe.

Let's not even get into autobahn speeds.

Need a 1000 mile battery pack, assuming you'll get 30-40% of that in actual driving, not prius-style putt-putting.

Well, you said it yourself: this is so so so wrong.

We aren't going to see 500-1,000 mile battery packs, it just won't happen, except possibly in an extremely-niche vehicle, but I even doubt that. Check back in 10 years if you like. Packs that size would be ridiculous. Manufacturers won't make it because they don't want to tack an extra 10 grand onto the price of their car (or, at current prices, the 1,000 miles you're talking about would probably tack another ~150 grand on) and consumers won't buy it even if they do make it for the same reasons. This will be solved by ubiquitous fast charging, not ridiculous ranges. What do you think the supercharger network is for?

I would put money on it. And the reason I would put money on it is because Elon and JB have both said it, many times. As have many others.

And if the person you're talking about, who drives 150mph on the autobahn with a ski rack in 0F and for some reason doesn't know about the supercharger network doesn't like it, he can get something else. There's no way the "average" EV is going to give itself a battery pack which is 500% bigger, heavier and more expensive than a reasonable pack just to cover the .001% of drives you're talking about here.

Last edited:
This is so so so wrong. Imagine worst case scenarios. You like to drive 80+mph. Through the mountains. With a ski rack. In 0F weather. AND you like to take regular day trips to go to ski country. Maybe you also like to have a little fun on snow covered roads.

Sounds like my daily commute for the last two weeks. Been averaging 500Wh/mi under those conditions.

This is only for German people? Or can somebody from The Netherlands get this as well?

I didn't catch the beginning of that statement but yea it sounded like something about them covering the cost of setups at home in Germany and it also reimbursing them 250 a month or a year or something ?? I need help with someone who was there or heard all of that to explain those details. It actually sounded like it had nothing to do with the car specifically but somehow they'd help you get setup for home or help pay yearly up to a certain amount?? I know I'm totally screwing that up so someone else can clarify. (sorry)

I didn't catch the beginning of that statement but yea it sounded like something about them covering the cost of setups at home in Germany and it also reimbursing them 250 a month or a year or something ?? I need help with someone who was there or heard all of that to explain those details. It actually sounded like it had nothing to do with the car specifically but somehow they'd help you get setup for home or help pay yearly up to a certain amount?? I know I'm totally screwing that up so someone else can clarify. (sorry)

The €250/yr electricity subsidy is offered to those who lease (through Sixt) or obtain financing w/ their partner (don't know the bank name). I don't know if it applies to other countries yet (probably not).

Question about AWD (Model X):

JB: Not giving too much away; but will be the best AWD in the world with exciting possibilities in traction control, stability control etc. Right now we're not looking at adapting AWD into the Model S.

Ok... Really disappointed. So if they really do not consider an AWD Model S they just lost 7 new customers (close friends and contacts). They have to understand people don't want to buy SUVs just to get AWD. I rented an AWD car this winter thinking I'll be fine by next year. Audi I'm coming back... No SUV for me.

I covered some of this in this earlier today. He wants to encourage sustainables, so if you set up your home with a sustainable fuel source you will get $250/year towards your utilities. He said he wants to address the comment that EV's just have a "longer tail pipe" (ie emissions at generation at plant instead of exhaust pipe). He also said that he is doing this in Germany because there is a roughly 10% premium to use sustainable energy in homes, and he wants to offset those costs.

So far this is written into lease agreement, but then people asked about subsidizing fuel costs if they buy car outright (or already own). He wasn't clear on this. It seemed to be one of those things where he is thinking to himself... 'I like this idea, need to think about it so I won't commit yes or no right now.'

A fix would/should be covered by warranty. I assume that Mario is just suffering in that he's far from a service center and thus low(er) down the priority list.

Well my rear view camera cable swap was also covered by warranty, but the ranger visit still costs no matter why you call him :) I could probably collaborate with some other people who want maximum charging and just call them over once there are many of us and split the costs. The next Model S will arrive second week of February and then some more a month after that. Though those latter ones might be already with the fix.

This is so so so wrong. Imagine worst case scenarios. You like to drive 80+mph. Through the mountains. With a ski rack. In 0F weather. AND you like to take regular day trips to go to ski country. Maybe you also like to have a little fun on snow covered roads. You get to park in a parking lot that has little except for snow in it, so no charging. You're already in the ~150 mile range from your "300 mile" pack, and you might have made it there ONE WAY with a 100% charge. Maybe.

Need a 1000 mile battery pack, assuming you'll get 30-40% of that in actual driving, not prius-style putt-putting.

That is a VERY good point.

Roll on, 500kWh battery packs :)

To those that think this is still crazy... even though it may represent a crazy amount of energy packed into the pack, expensive, etc. etc., there is a cachet involved in being able to offer the most range. All manufacturers will seek to own that. So if Tesla doesn't do it... Mercedes will. Also, even if only a few people order that crazy-big battery... Tesla can charge whatever they want because it will be millionaires who are ordering it - the same people who buy Bentleys and Lamborghinis today, and you can't reason with them :)

Last edited:

My perspective:

I invested in Tesla Motors because I wholeheartedly, absolutely, subscribe to Mr Musk's "Secret Plan". The "worst case scenario" you put forth is descriptive of a toy. I did not invest in a toy company, and to the extent TMInc. devotes its energies and resources to creating those toys is the extent to which I - and I absolutely know I am not alone - will be disillusioned in our investment and the betrayal of our trust in following that "Secret Plan".
More prosaically, there is no one who needs more a long-distance vehicle than I do. It is a 400-mile roundtrip for me to the nearest "real" town, Fairbanks. 600 miles r/t (Anchorage) if I need anything more than prosaic goods or absolutely standard services. But I understand and am reconciled to awaiting the development of more "normal" use vehicles than those which can accommodate my extreme needs.

Ok... Really disappointed. So if they really do not consider an AWD Model S they just lost 7 new customers (close friends and contacts). They have to understand people don't want to buy SUVs just to get AWD. I rented an AWD car this winter thinking I'll be fine by next year. Audi I'm coming back... No SUV for me.

Regardless of how it has been described, the Model X is not an SUV. It will be ~ same length and width of the MS. Seating position will be higher.

Torque vectoring will be the biggest step taken in vehicle control since traction control and the limited slip differential.

Regardless of how it has been described, the Model X is not an SUV. It will be ~ same length and width of the MS. Seating position will be higher.

Torque vectoring will be the biggest step taken in vehicle control since traction control and the limited slip differential.

Call it an SUV a Crossover or anything else, Model X isn't a sport sedan. I agree torque vectoring will be amazing but I want this in a sedan format.