Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk's reaction to Clooney

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it was funny and I appreciate the fact that Elon does not hide behind the PR veil that so many do (saying publicly one thing, but you know as soon as the camera stops they say what they really think). Clooney should stick to acting. While I appreciate what he has done for Sudan, and I am sure his comment was somewhat solicited, he should gave known better than to make a comment on a product that is pretty unrelated to the issue I bet the interviewer was asking about. The term "cat" also makes me ill. Who talks that way (that is still alive)?

Elon speaks the truth as he believes it. This occasionally gets him in trouble. I prefer his truthfulness and candidness and will accept the consequences that come along with it. That's part of the reason why I support Tesla and Elon.

I used to follow Aptera. The founders of Aptera were just like Elon. The Board of Directors hired a Detroit insider to be CEO and he would say a lot of buzzwords and make BS promises. That company is gone even though they had great ideas behind them because the guy running the company was a phony idiot.

Go Elon!

Elon speaks the truth as he believes it. This occasionally gets him in trouble. I prefer his truthfulness and candidness and will accept the consequences that come along with it. That's part of the reason why I support Tesla and Elon.

I used to follow Aptera. The founders of Aptera were just like Elon. The Board of Directors hired a Detroit insider to be CEO and he would say a lot of buzzwords and make BS promises. That company is gone even though they had great ideas behind them because the guy running the company was a phony idiot.

Go Elon!

Sorry, but this cavalier attitude roots on belitteling the next man and shows the first signs of megalomania IMHO.
If we would´ve seen this behaviour from Toyota back in 2009 or Audi in the 90s, they would´ve vanished from the US market.
This has NOTHING to do with Clooney, it shows the basic handling of general critique.
Asperger Syndrome?

This brilliant journalist basically summed up this PR desaster, and I´m shure this will come back to Elon:

Fear of Fire the Last Reason to Sell Tesla - TheStreet

Sorry, but this cavalier attitude roots on belitteling the next man and shows the first signs of megalomania IMHO.
If we would´ve seen this behaviour from Toyota back in 2009 or Audi in the 90s, they would´ve vanished from the US market.
This has NOTHING to do with Clooney, it shows the basic handling of general critique.
Asperger Syndrome?

This brilliant journalist basically summed up this PR desaster, and I´m shure this will come back to Elon:

Fear of Fire the Last Reason to Sell Tesla - TheStreet

Personally, I think that journalist missed the point. George Clooney was commenting on something that related to the first car that Tesla made - we're talking something that happened 5 years ago to a totally different model to the Model S. The 2007 iPhone (i.e. the first model iPhone) was quite buggy and a bit of a dog, despite the great new interface that has changed how we interact with our phones. I dare say that the Roadster was a better first generation product than the original iPhone was, but wasn't totally without issues. You wouldn't compare the current iPhone with the one from 2007, would you? Despite all this, the media (as usual) have hyped up an off-the-cuff comment. Elon's response was simply to put this into perspective. I don't think it was even remotely an attack on George Clooney, but more of an attack on the media for over-hyping something like this. As others have said - much ado about nothing....

Personally, I think that journalist missed the point. George Clooney was commenting on something that related to the first car that Tesla made - we're talking something that happened 5 years ago to a totally different model to the Model S. The 2007 iPhone (i.e. the first model iPhone) was quite buggy and a bit of a dog, despite the great new interface that has changed how we interact with our phones. I dare say that the Roadster was a better first generation product than the original iPhone was, but wasn't totally without issues. You wouldn't compare the current iPhone with the one from 2007, would you? Despite all this, the media (as usual) have hyped up an off-the-cuff comment. Elon's response was simply to put this into perspective. I don't think it was even remotely an attack on George Clooney, but more of an attack on the media for over-hyping something like this. As others have said - much ado about nothing....

Shure.Agrreed with the content.But that´s merely intellectual mind****ing, thinking around the corner.
The public perception will be desastrous.
F++ the clients,eff the old times, we know better.
The opposite of what you expect from a wise character.

This is not over by a long shot. Next time George gets in front of a microphone whether he is making an appearance at a movie screening, his work in Darfur or caught coming out of a restaurant, someone will ask him about Musk's comment. A fabricated battle of two titans of industry is prime scandal fodder.

Does Elon call GC now to smooth things over before that inevitable moment happens?

Last edited:
Let's hope 'the public' isn't this dramatic. We've got enough on the journalistic payroll, tyvm. :rolleyes:
+1

Shure.Agrreed with the content.But that´s merely intellectual mind****ing, thinking around the corner.
The public perception will be desastrous.
F++ the clients,eff the old times, we know better.
The opposite of what you expect from a wise character.
IMHO you are kind of blowing this out of proportion. “intellectual mind****ing”, disastrous, “F++ the clients”, “eff the old times”,.. Really? I’m with those above that have said that what Elon meant with all of this, is that some media outlets really are going out of their way in over-hyping this whole thing, when in reality it really is a major non-event. Much ado about an unfortunate off-the-cuff comment.

Here’s the quote from Esquire (again?):

...] “Hey, where’s the Tesla?” I said when I was leaving his house. I was just giving him ****; I didn’t know if he had a Tesla or not, and was trying to see if even George Clooney was susceptible to Hollywood cliché.

“I had a Tesla. I was one of the first cats with a Tesla. I think I was, like, number five on the list. But I’m telling you, I’ve been on the side of the road a while in that thing. And I said to them, ‘Look, guys, why am I always stuck on the side of the ****ing road? Make it work, one way or another.’ ” /...

George Clooney Interview - George Clooney Talks About Matt Damon Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio - Esquire
The jurno Tom Junod knew that if he’s able to get something juicy involving Tesla & Clooney, he then has the potential to ‘reach’ beyond the Esquire web pages/paper. An lo and behold – he ‘lucked out’…

Again, IMHO, Tesla has a substantial amount of goodwill. I don’t think this ‘incident’ will have much of an impact – if anyone at all.

– – – Updated: – – –

.../ Does Elon call GC now to smooth things over before that inevitable moment happens?
I’m guessing Elon, or someone else at Tesla already have.

Last edited:
To put this in context this is a short twitter comment that's clearly meant to be a joke (even if a snarky one). There's nothing offensive about it (unless you are a huge Clooney fan or something).

Elon has been even more aggressive previously (he was "on the record" calling a reporter a douchebag and idiot, the fight against Top Gear, the whole Broder incident, etc) and there was no huge change in the public's impression of Tesla.

This comment and the response will be forgotten within the week. It will certainly not sink Tesla or change even one buyers mind about whether they will buy the car or not. The car speaks for itself. Clooney and Elon can send friendly jibes at each other all day long and it will not hurt the company or its reputation.

I missed one thing.

Journo Tom Junod in the Esquire interview (My underline):

“Hey, where’s the Tesla?” I said when I was leaving his house. I was just giving him ****; I didn’t know if he had a Tesla or not, and was trying to see if even George Clooney was susceptible to Hollywood cliché.

I don’t buy that for one second. Of course he knew Clooney had a Tesla.

Last edited:
No, it won't be forgotten within a week.

"TM33" nailed it in the investors thread:
"....
I hope he does something better than that last interview. Seems like he's trying to kill the stock lately.
Says its overvalued.
Sounds bored on earnings call, says good news as if someone died.
Gives an interview,
that misrepresents the fire risk,
flatly says there will be no recall,
laughs at a celebrity who complains about reliability problems

What more can he do to deep six the stock.
I can't believe he said no recall. Bad bad PR move. You don't make statements you can't back up. You can't appear cavalier about safety issues. He should have used some canned line about safety is the top priority, we'll continue to look into it and make any improvements we can over time yada yada, but currently we don't see a safety issue and think the car is safe, etc. But don't just ignore and misrepresent a fire risk that is higher than ICE vehicles. That will come back to haunt him.
Likewise, don't ignore and laugh at a celebrity complaining about reliability problems. Say reliability is important, state what was done to resolve the issue, restate that Tesla's are very reliable. Then you can say its old news. But don't diss it. That makes him and Tesla look smug and that they don't care about reliability issues. Again a bad bad PR move that will haunt him and Tesla.

Both of these last stories have the potential to define Tesla. New articles keep being written in the echo chamber. An otherwise perfect reputation may get tarnished.

The stock may be under pressure until Tesla gets out in front of this fire issue. As additional fires are most certainly reported, it won't help the stock. When someone does get hurt or killed in a Tesla, it won't help the stock. ..."

Although having that kind of cavalier attitude, especially with those who carry media weight, could end up biting him is the ass very quickly. Musk needs to remember that celebrity endorsement via word of mouth can make or break a brand.
These people take a high risk in early adpting, and yes even with an old fart like the roadster seems in the eyes of someone who is always on the next big thing. The next big thing might never come if this pattern of reacting to valid critizism continues. Thats the attitude of an unreflected five year old.maybe thats Elons problem.

No, it won't be forgotten within a week.

"TM33" nailed it in the investors thread:
"....
I hope he does something better than that last interview. Seems like he's trying to kill the stock lately.
Says its overvalued.
Sounds bored on earnings call, says good news as if someone died.
Gives an interview,
that misrepresents the fire risk,
flatly says there will be no recall,
laughs at a celebrity who complains about reliability problems

What more can he do to deep six the stock.
I can't believe he said no recall. Bad bad PR move. You don't make statements you can't back up. You can't appear cavalier about safety issues. He should have used some canned line about safety is the top priority, we'll continue to look into it and make any improvements we can over time yada yada, but currently we don't see a safety issue and think the car is safe, etc. But don't just ignore and misrepresent a fire risk that is higher than ICE vehicles. That will come back to haunt him.
Likewise, don't ignore and laugh at a celebrity complaining about reliability problems. Say reliability is important, state what was done to resolve the issue, restate that Tesla's are very reliable. Then you can say its old news. But don't diss it. That makes him and Tesla look smug and that they don't care about reliability issues. Again a bad bad PR move that will haunt him and Tesla.

Both of these last stories have the potential to define Tesla. New articles keep being written in the echo chamber. An otherwise perfect reputation may get tarnished.

The stock may be under pressure until Tesla gets out in front of this fire issue. As additional fires are most certainly reported, it won't help the stock. When someone does get hurt or killed in a Tesla, it won't help the stock. ..."

Although having that kind of cavalier attitude, especially with those who carry media weight, could end up biting him is the ass very quickly. Musk needs to remember that celebrity endorsement via word of mouth can make or break a brand.
These people take a high risk in early adpting, and yes even with an old fart like the roadster seems in the eyes of someone who is always on the next big thing. The next big thing might never come if this pattern of reacting to valid critizism continues. Thats the attitude of an unreflected five year old.maybe thats Elons problem.

You don't "get it". I am so glad he is not catering to this opinion.

No, it won't be forgotten within a week. [...
I had a feeling there were more to this than just the Clooney snippet... And I wonder how many times this has been rehashed… A recall… So how do you suggest Tesla should protect the battery pack against a solid, or near solid, heavy piece of metal that exerts a pointed force of ~25 tons directly at the bottom of said battery pack?

I'll agree to disagree. I've got a bunch of Tesla stock and have no intention of letting it go no matter how George Clooney feels about Tesla or the Roadster he once owned. As for Elon, I already made my opinion known about him earlier in the thread. You take him as he is. I don't want him to change even though he is far from perfect.

I had a feeling there were more to this than just the Clooney snippet... And I wonder how many times this has been rehashed… A recall… So how do you suggest Tesla should protect the battery pack against a solid, or near solid, heavy piece of metal that exerts a pointed force of ~25 tons directly at the bottom of said battery pack?

Tesla needs to recall all cars and cover the bottom in 8" of pure unobtanium alloy, and Elon Musk needs to go on all major news networks and tell us how undervalued the stock is right now.