Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The steering wheel isn't asked to collapse when the passenger hits it, because (in general) the passenger doesn't - or even can't- hit it. The screen is an all-aspect target, able to be struck at nearly any angle by either driver or passenger. And there are those corners to consider....
Again, maybe this has been solved. If it has, I'd love to know how they did it.
Robin
If you head is over there in a crash, then it probably isn't attached to your body anymore....
Wear a seatbelt and you don't have to worry about it (unless your head falls off).

The steering wheel isn't asked to collapse when the passenger hits it, because (in general) the passenger doesn't - or even can't- hit it. The screen is an all-aspect target, able to be struck at nearly any angle by either driver or passenger. And there are those corners to consider....
Again, maybe this has been solved. If it has, I'd love to know how they did it.
Robin
It doesn't really make a difference, an unrestrained passenger can also hit the steering column on the side if there is a side crash by the same standard.

Reactions: JeffK
Tesla Model 3: a look at the center screen’s user interface

upload_2017-6-14_7-32-18.png

• Funny
Reactions: zenmaster
The safety issue regarding the display is absurd. Take a look at this crash test video of the Model X. Around the 20 second mark you'll see that the airbag deploys long before the driver's head can reach the steering wheel, let alone a center mounted screen which is farther away. Granted, this isn't the Model 3 but I'm sure it will behave similarly. If there were no airbags then sure, there might be a need for some concern. But airbags totally eliminate it.

Reactions: JeffK and lunitiks
The safety issue regarding the display is absurd.

Oh there is a valid safety concern alright - not for the passengers but the screen itself. The basics of physics for that screen mount says various point will experience quite high forces in daily use. Won't be surprised if after a couple of years, cracks start to appear here and there.

The safety issue regarding the display is absurd. Take a look at this crash test video of the Model X. Around the 20 second mark you'll see that the airbag deploys long before the driver's head can reach the steering wheel, let alone a center mounted screen which is farther away. Granted, this isn't the Model 3 but I'm sure it will behave similarly. If there were no airbags then sure, there might be a need for some concern. But airbags totally eliminate it.

"But, what about ..."

fill in your blank here with baseless conjecture on supposedly bad design that no one has actually used in person yet

Last edited:
Oh there is a valid safety concern alright - not for the passengers but the screen itself. The basics of physics for that screen mount says various point will experience quite high forces in daily use. Won't be surprised if after a couple of years, cracks start to appear here and there.
Wouldn't be surprised if cracks don't appear. There is this thing called engineering, and people study it, and apply it. Sometimes things go wrong but most of the time things get made right. Lets give a little respect to the professionals, shall we?

Last edited:
Not seeing it. The screen will be used for finger touch and that is basically it. I don't see how it will experience high forces in daily use.

The steering column experiences a ton more force (twist from steering, toward dash from pushing on horn, downward from resting hands, upward left or right when kneeing with legs) but I have yet to hear of cracks appearing.

Reactions: Topher and JeffK
I had a Nissan Quest which had a central speedo and nothing in front of the steering wheel except storage. I had no problem with it. However, apparently most people did because Nissan went back to a traditional speedo behind steering wheel after a couple years. It seems like some manufacturers toyed with the central speedo idea only to revert to traditional after some time. I wonder how successful Tesla will be with it this time.

It seems like some manufacturers toyed with the central speedo idea only to revert to traditional after some time. I wonder how successful Tesla will be with it this time.
Although Toyota has stayed with their implementation on the Prius for two decades. I guess it depends on how wildly popular the Model 3 will remain after the pent up reservations have been delivered. New buyers will know exactly how the production version will look, so they won't be subject to wishfully hoping for a "spaceship" or HUD instead of just the single, central display. If it sells well, it will become the new norm that others will try to emulate.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprised if cracks don't appear. There is this thing called engineering, and people study it, and apply it. Sometimes things go wrong but most of the time things get made right. Lets give a little respect to the professionals, shall we?

Sorry mate I am a research engineer myself so I would know the basics - at least one would hope, and it's not a question of respect. The basics of physics is well understood, from theory to practice. Most of these things can be analysed exhaustively through virtual simulation tools even before the first samples are produced. There is no need to make basic mistakes and fix, engineering brain cycles are better utilized elsewhere. Get a few kids in this car and one of them will try to pull it out with force. Drop something on the floor and someone could pull against the screen while picking up. Forget the textbook use case, these cars will be daily workhorses. It might still survive but it's not a well thought of contraption from a structural point of view and that is my point. It will also be poor from a vibration point of view, try Google vibration theory of cantilever beams.

Last edited:
Sorry mate I am a research engineer myself so I would know the basics - at least one would hope, and it's not a question of respect. The basics of physics is well understood, from theory to practice. Most of these things can be analysed exhaustively through virtual simulation tools even before the first samples are produced. There is no need to make basic mistakes and fix, engineering brain cycles are better utilized elsewhere. Get a few kids in this car and one of them will try to pull it out with force. Drop something on the floor and someone could pull against the screen while picking up. Forget the textbook use case, these cars will be daily workhorses. It might still survive but it's not a well thought of contraption from a structural point of view and that is my point. It will also be poor from a vibration point of view, try Google vibration theory of cantilever beams.
Do you have any valid reason for this second guessing?

Edit: and I just want to point out that me doubting your judgement is no different from you doubting Tesla engineer's judgement.

You say this and in the same breath disrespect Tesla engineers who have excellent modelling tools and years of experience in various industries.

I just want to point out that me doubting your judgement is no different from you doubting Tesla engineer's judgement.
Exactly!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Do you have any valid reason for this second guessing?

Edit: and I just want to point out that me doubting your judgement is no different from you doubting Tesla engineer's judgement.
I can think of one possible reason why an outside engineer might have a different and perhaps clearer perspective: he doesn't have Mr. Musk telling him to "make it so."
It depends on the engineering culture but saying, "No, that's not optimum," might be (a lot) harder for a Tesla engineer. Other than that, physics and materials are physics and materials.
Robin

I can think of one possible reason why an outside engineer might have a different and perhaps clearer perspective: he doesn't have Mr. Musk telling him to "make it so."
It depends on the engineering culture but saying, "No, that's not optimum," might be (a lot) harder for a Tesla engineer. Other than that, physics and materials are physics and materials.
Robin
So now you are doubting Elon's judgment?

• Funny
Reactions: zenmaster

Thanks for the video and now I'm 100% sure the LCD screen in the RC is not final. Take a look at the right hand during the crash. Say goodbye to your right hand in a Model 3 if you get in a crash if the LCD screen is there. Take a look at side impact and overlap videos and they all show the right hand swing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
Thanks for the video and now I'm 100% sure the LCD screen in the RC is not final. Take a look at the right hand during the crash. Say goodbye to your right hand in a Model 3 if you get in a crash if the LCD screen is there. Take a look at side impact and overlap videos and they all show the right hand swing.
What are you talking about? The right hand moves forward and smacks the dash (and the top left of the screen). With the Model 3 design, it would either smack the dash or the front of the screen going forward. Not seeing how that will take your hand off? It's not like the screen is a knife.