TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon states 3rd row seats will be removable in Model X, plus more from EU interviews

Discussion in 'Model X' started by fengshui, Feb 2, 2014.

1. fengshui

fengshui Member

#1 fengshui, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    Elon states 3rd row seats will be removable in Model X, plus more from interviews

A user on facebook has gathered together all the new info from Elon's talks in Norway this month, including some interesting Model X items:
    Tesla Supercharger network - Page 385
    More details, including ski trip needs:
    Elon and JB speak in Oslo Feb 1st 2014 1000 CET (4AM EST) - Page 4

2. Mitrovic

Mitrovic Member

Very interesting. Just a detail: Norway ( Oslo ) is not in the EU ( European Union ).

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm surprised you missed Q11:

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

First, thanks for this. Looks like it was buried in a thread I didn't follow and the info certainly deserves to be surfaced.

Diving in, I found this interesting:

JB's response seems to say "the X has AWD where the S doesn't". That's certainly the case now, but we all expect that to no longer be the case.

Elon steps in and sort of pushes that aside and say it's more about preference (sort of indicating the playing field may be equal in the AWD respect?). I also note he says the acceleration will be better on a sedan. MS doesn't have AWD currently and last we heard, the X's AWD would put acceleration on par with, if not greater than, the S. Sooo... AWD S it is :)

And of course, no hard answer on Sig #1 delivery. Sorry Bonnie.

5. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

It's going to get interesting in the coming months as there seems to be more from Elon of late.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

With George B. gone, there isn't really anyone else other than Elon and Jerome to present a public face.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

JB...

8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

So if you read Elon's answer closely about range, it sounds like they are expecting the Model X to be 10% less efficient than the Model S in energy consumption. All they said about AWD is that they have a clever solution so that AWD won't increase energy consumption. But they can't get away from the taller, bigger frontal area of the Model X, hence 10% more energy consumption. Given that they also said the expectation of an SUV is to be more of an energy hog, I wonder if that is their way of saying that the Model X will have 10% less range. I hope not. I would expect them to deliver a 93.5 kWh battery in lieu of the 85 kWh battery for the Model S. However, it is entirely possible that they aren't planning on tooling up a new battery line and will be stuck with the 85 kWh battery.

In which case, our 265 mile rated range car will be 240 miles. Not a catastrophe, but disappointing.

9. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

And the 60 kWh battery rated range would be around 187. I would be surprised if they don't do something (i.e. bigger battery) to bring that up to 200+ rated range.

10. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

My son is watching this closely as he has 3 kids and looking to getting into a SUV. I told him to wait for the Model X to see what happens there. If the range is less, it is going to be a tough sell for him. He borrowed our MS several months ago for a family trip to Disneyland in Anaheim and the trip took him 2 hours longer than if he was driving an ICE as he stopped 3xs for a charge.

11. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

There are a lot more Super Chargers than there were a couple of months ago and a lot more coming by 2015 when the MX will be available in quantity. Where did his journey with the MS start?

12. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

Sounds a little like my trip. What took substanitally longer from a trip in the San Francisco Bay all the way down to Anaheim for us was the stops. Normally a 10 minute stop in an ICE turned into a 40 minute wait. I can say that this car slows you down in a good way as long as you are expecting the added charging time to such a trip.

13. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I have my own sources. No apology necessary. :)