Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon states 3rd row seats will be removable in Model X, plus more from EU interviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon states 3rd row seats will be removable in Model X, plus more from interviews

A user on facebook has gathered together all the new info from Elon's talks in Norway this month, including some interesting Model X items:
Tesla Supercharger network - Page 385
3rd row seat in MX is removable and space can be used for cargo.

Based on feedback Elon liked the ideas of removable 2nd row in MX (like for a moving van or business purpose) as well as a cover for the trunks to help with dog hair lol. He said they will look into adding these (good suggestions). Also someone asked about disabling stability control. He said that is illegal (in the US) but person responded "yes but not for track use" (which I guess they never thought about) so he said they would also look into this.

Some talk about battery size and range for MX and someone asked whether or not they'll be a bigger battery to match the range of MS. He talked about how "the norm standard" is that everyone accepts that SUVs are typically 10% less efficient. MX design challenge is 2-3x harder than the MS. Bigger front area and higher ride height and much more drag. However, he did that that due to the AWD of the MX there are some very cool unique things you can do to increase efficiency that you can't do in a RWD and it sounded like these improvements actually offset drag so that the MS and MX range are the same. Actually here in just going to copy paste instead of trying to explain:"A(EM): Challenge with the X is not the AWD but the fact that the car will have a greater frontal area, and slightly higher drag coefficient. Energy consumption about 10% greater per km. Unrelated to power train. A(JB): Typical experience of AWD is that the efficiency will be worse. We've worked really hard to not have that same effect. We found some clever ways with dual motor AWD, not just mechanical linkage. To make that an efficiency neutral option. Breakthrough."

More details, including ski trip needs:
Elon and JB speak in Oslo Feb 1st 2014 1000 CET (4AM EST) - Page 4
Q1: If we already have the S, why should we buy the X?
A(JB): One great benefit, other than more space, is AWD. Lot more cargo space. Full seven passengers. More ground clearance.
A(EM): Preference issue. Sedan vs. SUV. The X will be bigger, obviously taller. Handling and acceleration will be better on sedan than SUV.

Q13: Dimensions of Model X? Falcon doors and roof. How are we to bring our skiing stuff into the mountains?
A(EM): Design of the X has been a very hard design problem. Aesthetics and functionality to work together... particular difficult for SUVs. Want it to be as stunning as one can make an SUV. The design problem for the X is 2-3x harder than for the S. Wheelbase the same, and overall length very very close... to Model S; within 5cm on length. Height shouldn't be a problem for normal garage. Maximizing internal volume when looking at packaging for the doors, for example; rigid but not deep.
A(EM): With both doors open, there's a triangular space between the doors. Place for a ski box potentially. Other place would be on the inside, slide it longitudinally under the seats.

Q30: Model X...Sig reservation 1. When? Hopefully the time between the launch in the U.S. and Europe will be shorten than for the S.

A(EM): S was the first car we made ourselves completely. We wanted the first units near to the factory and engineering center. A lot less changing about the X, and more infrastructure. Gap between initial production and arrival to Norway should be much shorter... a couple months. Guess around middle of next year for the X to arrive here (Norway). Volume production of the X in U.S. will probably be end of the first quarter next year.

Last edited:
First, thanks for this. Looks like it was buried in a thread I didn't follow and the info certainly deserves to be surfaced.

Diving in, I found this interesting:

Q1: If we already have the S, why should we buy the X?
A(JB): One great benefit, other than more space, is AWD. Lot more cargo space. Full seven passengers. More ground clearance.
A(EM): Preference issue. Sedan vs. SUV. The X will be bigger, obviously taller. Handling and acceleration will be better on sedan than SUV.

JB's response seems to say "the X has AWD where the S doesn't". That's certainly the case now, but we all expect that to no longer be the case.

Elon steps in and sort of pushes that aside and say it's more about preference (sort of indicating the playing field may be equal in the AWD respect?). I also note he says the acceleration will be better on a sedan. MS doesn't have AWD currently and last we heard, the X's AWD would put acceleration on par with, if not greater than, the S. Sooo... AWD S it is :)

And of course, no hard answer on Sig #1 delivery. Sorry Bonnie.

So if you read Elon's answer closely about range, it sounds like they are expecting the Model X to be 10% less efficient than the Model S in energy consumption. All they said about AWD is that they have a clever solution so that AWD won't increase energy consumption. But they can't get away from the taller, bigger frontal area of the Model X, hence 10% more energy consumption. Given that they also said the expectation of an SUV is to be more of an energy hog, I wonder if that is their way of saying that the Model X will have 10% less range. I hope not. I would expect them to deliver a 93.5 kWh battery in lieu of the 85 kWh battery for the Model S. However, it is entirely possible that they aren't planning on tooling up a new battery line and will be stuck with the 85 kWh battery.

In which case, our 265 mile rated range car will be 240 miles. Not a catastrophe, but disappointing.

So if you read Elon's answer closely about range, it sounds like they are expecting the Model X to be 10% less efficient than the Model S in energy consumption. All they said about AWD is that they have a clever solution so that AWD won't increase energy consumption. But they can't get away from the taller, bigger frontal area of the Model X, hence 10% more energy consumption. Given that they also said the expectation of an SUV is to be more of an energy hog, I wonder if that is their way of saying that the Model X will have 10% less range. I hope not. I would expect them to deliver a 93.5 kWh battery in lieu of the 85 kWh battery for the Model S. However, it is entirely possible that they aren't planning on tooling up a new battery line and will be stuck with the 85 kWh battery.

In which case, our 265 mile rated range car will be 240 miles. Not a catastrophe, but disappointing.

And the 60 kWh battery rated range would be around 187. I would be surprised if they don't do something (i.e. bigger battery) to bring that up to 200+ rated range.

My son is watching this closely as he has 3 kids and looking to getting into a SUV. I told him to wait for the Model X to see what happens there. If the range is less, it is going to be a tough sell for him. He borrowed our MS several months ago for a family trip to Disneyland in Anaheim and the trip took him 2 hours longer than if he was driving an ICE as he stopped 3xs for a charge.

My son is watching this closely as he has 3 kids and looking to getting into a SUV. I told him to wait for the Model X to see what happens there. If the range is less, it is going to be a tough sell for him. He borrowed our MS several months ago for a family trip to Disneyland in Anaheim and the trip took him 2 hours longer than if he was driving an ICE as he stopped 3xs for a charge.

There are a lot more Super Chargers than there were a couple of months ago and a lot more coming by 2015 when the MX will be available in quantity. Where did his journey with the MS start?

There are a lot more Super Chargers than there were a couple of months ago and a lot more coming by 2015 when the MX will be available in quantity. Where did his journey with the MS start?

Sounds a little like my trip. What took substanitally longer from a trip in the San Francisco Bay all the way down to Anaheim for us was the stops. Normally a 10 minute stop in an ICE turned into a 40 minute wait. I can say that this car slows you down in a good way as long as you are expecting the added charging time to such a trip.