Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in the least, and you know it. What I and others keep pointing out and you refuse to see is that he tried to get out of the deal by every means possible and failed to do so. He was forced to buy the company after changing his mind. Those are the simple basic facts. He will now try to make the best of what he acknowledged was a bad deal but that doesn't change the truth of the events.

You have no more proof of his intentions than do I. Your opinion above does not differ significantly from mine when the end result is the same.

The biggest difference being I believe his desire to buy never wavered. The overall intent to purchase Twitter to clean it up and make use of an established user base to deploy his X.com vision was clearly shared in several statements by Elon. Your recent vote of "Informative" to unk45's post in the investment thread indicates that you understand to some extent this bigger picture he has for Twitter as a tool for significant banking changes, eliminating the middlemen in the US system that rake a percentage off of every CC and Debit transaction.

The only perspective you do not share is that you believe he sincerely wanted to get out of the deal by wrangling Twitter into court.

I believe he never had any intention of getting out of the deal, and, that the court drama was a tactic to negotiate a more favorable purchase price. The fact that his team chose to end pursuit of that once it became clear how spending more time in court would significantly delay the purchase and delay the sea-change he wants for Twitter, they capitulated and moved forward with the deal.

Can we agree that neither of us has definitive evidence to substantiate either of these perspectives exclusively?

You appeared to not want the deal to happen and your responses consistently reflected your perspective that it was done on impulse, rather than with significant thought behind it.

To me, this was an exciting move toward disruption of yet another sector of the status quo, based upon Elon's plan from back in the PayPal days. The purchase made perfect sense in this context, including the attempt to negotiate a better deal. Having already entered into the disruption of transport, energy, spaceflight, AI, tunnel boring, brain interface, etc. this latest project did not seem at all far fetched.

This was something he'd outlined many years ago and it did not seem likely to me that he would have ever backed out of his bid to purchase. That would be very abnormal behavior based upon this history of successfully accomplishing disruptive business projects.

What did he gain by doing the middle step?

Vetted some lawyers so he knows who to use (or not use) in future. These ones couldn’t find the bots so looks bad for them.

I believe he never had any intention of getting out of the deal, and, that the court drama was a tactic to negotiate a more favorable purchase price
Huh? Most people think this, not just you. As far as “intention to get out of the deal” - the deal was for $54.20 - any other price is a different deal so if he wanted a different price that is an intention to get out of the deal. That’s how this works.

He wanted to buy Twitter. For $10B it is probably a great deal. So of course he was angling for that.

Parag tricked him into the deal at the high price (maybe even suggested the 420 connection? - so smart), and the rest is history. Poor Elon.

Last edited:
the rest is history. Poor Elon.

Yup. Poor.

rank name Net Worth
1 Elon Musk $220.6 B
2 Bernard Arnault & family $160.3 B
3 Jeff Bezos $135.9 B
4 Gautam Adani $131.7 B

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Yup. Poor.

rank name Net Worth
1 Elon Musk $220.6 B
2 Bernard Arnault & family $160.3 B
3 Jeff Bezos $135.9 B
4 Gautam Adani $131.7 B
It's incredible how Adani rose up - I had not heard of him a few years back. Wonders that being close to a powerful politician can do for you in India.

Reactions: Boomer19
Status
Not open for further replies.