Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either Elon turns Twitter into 4chan
If he wants to make Twitter allow free speech as defined by the law, he gets 4chan, and it's a death sentence for Twitter (or at least a reduction to what 4chan is). No question, this is a challenging space. It'll be interesting to see what happens, and good to know I have no skin in the game.

I see. It's "censorship for thee... but not for me" as far as you're concerned.

He isn't the only one who documented the Bucha false flag operation. It's widely reported in the independent news. You know... the news that doesn't say+do exactly what the U.S. Government wants. Many sites reporting independently of the U.S. Government's "guidelines" get censored off of networks like Twitter. (Meanwhile we are funnelling billions of dollars of our future taxes away from the USA towards foreign countries in the hopes of escalating violence+bloodshed... and the establishment media does not complain, they celebrate it!) This is the dissent that EM refers to.
He’s not credible. Prison time for six charges for sex crimes with a child, KGB wife, Putin talking points,,,,
No credible news organization is saying these things. and you can’t wiggle out of that with internet conspiracyspeak like “the independent news...” “many sites” This is conspiracy gobbledygook.

Last edited:
I only see two ways this ends up going: Either Elon turns Twitter into 4chan - a cesspool of "free speech" that includes every worst extremist in the human population because we've already tested what kind of material floats to the top when you take the path of "free speech absolutism".

OR

Elon picks and chooses which types and celebrities get to have absolute-free-speech, while excluding others.

Neither outcome is good for humanity, the bottom line of twitter, or Elon himself who will be wading into this quagmire. It's like starting a land war in Asia - NO ONE should want to try and be the great arbiter of free speech online. It sucks as a job. There are only bad answers, and worse answers.
Based on his comments, it will be the former.

Reactions: mspohr
As to the interview today.

I really don’t like Trump.
I don’t love Elon playing in this space.
I don’t expect Elon to succeed on this [can’t believe I just said those words].

However his explanation and discussion around the Trump situation made me somewhat more comfortable with this whole thing.

As an aside, as someone on the left, I always thought Trump off Twitter was more harm than good for my side.
His explanation was that Trump had a louder megaphone with the right if banned from Twitter. But that’s not at all the point. Trump already has persuaded many of them. Giving him a much much larger platform to reach people not yet exposed to election lies etc IS the problem.
You do have to admire Elon’s misguided confidence in the ability of the American public to listen to a cesspool, sort it out and come to a rational conclusion.

L.

But see, I have no problem with Ritter being on Twitter. He's neither anonymous nor a bot. If he wants to sling crazy stuff, at least there's some context. It's his reputation that will dictate his credibility.
98 percent of the people who read his stuff wouldn’t bother to check who he was. do you do that with people you skim on Twitter?

Reactions: mspohr
Trump has a real conundrum, if he goes back on Twitter it will probably be the killing blow to the already failing "Truth" Social, his alternative platform with tons of "free speech" restrictions. DWAC investors will not be happy.
He absolutely WILL go back on Twitter. For the same reason Elon is buying it: They are both addicted to tweeting. It’s like heroin to them. They just can’t stop. And it made Trump what he is.
So cute of Elon to say in the interview Trump had said he wasn’t coming back to Twitter. He is somehow unaware of Trump’s official lie count while in office.
Despite the fact that of those thousands of fibs were told .... on Twitter.

Oh, and a prediction: He will make is a big, dramatic event, a Major Announcement about What My Decision On Coming Back to Twitter Is.

Last edited:
His explanation was that Trump had a louder megaphone with the right if banned from Twitter. But that’s not at all the point. Trump already has persuaded many of them. Giving him a much much larger platform to reach people not yet exposed to election lies etc IS the problem.
You do have to admire Elon’s misguided confidence in the ability of the American public to listen to a cesspool, sort it out and come to a rational conclusion.

Thats the aspiration, anyway. Reality and the hangover will hit the next morning.

Reactions: advocate8
Biden doesn't think it's a problem, in fact he's counting on Elon Musk to bring Trump back on twitter, in order to help democrats win midterm:

Surprise, Elon Musk and EU see eye to eye with regard to social media rules:

(It's a surprise to those doomsayers at least, to us who has followed Musk for a few years, it's no surprise at all, he understands how regulation works, given his other companies are all in heavily regulated industries)

Last edited:
Surprise, Elon Musk and EU see eye to eye with regard to social media rules:

(It's a surprise to those doomsayers at least, to us who has followed Musk for a few years, it's no surprise at all, he understands how regulation works, given his other companies are all in heavily regulated industries)
This article is remarkably unspecific. His understanding of regulation, in any case, isn’t really the question here. This issues at hand center mainly on the nature of internal corporate rules, and on the public perception of Twitter and Tesla.

Reactions: replicant
Biden doesn't think it's a problem, in fact he's counting on Elon Musk to bring Trump back on twitter, in order to help democrats win midterm:

So, Biden’s people expect something unpleasant to occur with Twitter. Meh. Whether he’s right or wrong, it doesn’t sound like he expects something healthy for public discourse, Twitter or Tesla to come of this.

Making the midterms about Trump would be repeating a disastrous strategy that made them lose Virginia. The reality is that no one outside of the media actually seems to care about Trump one way or the other. But realistically the Democrats are going to get thrashed in November no matter what, all they are doing is trying to reduce the degree of the beating.

Meanwhile, Jack Dorsey agrees with Elon:

Elon picks and chooses which types and celebrities get to have absolute-free-speech, while excluding others.

Neither outcome is good for humanity, the bottom line of twitter, or Elon himself who will be wading into this quagmire. It's like starting a land war in Asia - NO ONE should want to try and be the great arbiter of free speech online. It sucks as a job. There are only bad answers, and worse answers.
But it was perfectly fine pre Elon when Twitter did this because they picked the left? Got it.

Exactly. Plus even with the right I suspect most of them stayed on Twitter and did not move to other right leaning "free speech" platforms, which of course had their own restrictions on speech. Truth Social restricts what you can post but none of our free speech advocates here seem to care about that.

Elon addressed the "permanent banning" of Trump and anyone else VERY clearly yesterday in his FT interview. If you haven't watched it, you should watch it.

Basically, he stated that permanent bans should not exist, except for bots and spammers. Trump's ban should not have happened because all it did was "give Trump a larger voice" after the ban, and energize and polarize further his base.

Those here that think Elon doesn't understand the nuances of social media I guess haven't seen that interview and realized Elon appears to have put a LOT of thought into this.

My only question to Elon remains: "How can I invest?"

Exactly. Plus even with the right I suspect most of them stayed on Twitter and did not move to other right leaning "free speech" platforms, which of course had their own restrictions on speech. Truth Social restricts what you can post but none of our free speech advocates here seem to care about that.

Patently false. Many MANY on the right left twitter after Elon's ban. There is roundabout data to support this, because after Elon announced he was buying Twitter, the number of followers for many GOP politicians increased on a daily basis 20-30X more per day than their normal daily gain.

GOP politicians attribute it to Twitter turning off shadow bans, but I think it is more likely that people on the right decided to give the platform a re-look.

Elon addressed the "permanent banning" of Trump and anyone else VERY clearly yesterday in his FT interview. If you haven't watched it, you should watch it.

Basically, he stated that permanent bans should not exist, except for bots and spammers. Trump's ban should not have happened because all it did was "give Trump a larger voice" after the ban, and energize and polarize further his base.

Those here that think Elon doesn't understand the nuances of social media I guess haven't seen that interview and realized Elon appears to have put a LOT of thought into this.

My only question to Elon remains: "How can I invest?"
easy. buy twitter shares. they’re trading well under Elon’s offer because the market doesn’t believe he can follow through on the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.