Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The valid counter to that is it's too early to tell.
At least if there is an effect then it isn't large enough to show up so far.

In some ways I think Elon's comment stream has been at a high enough frequency for it to no longer be news. Most people aren't reading his tweets, they are reacting to third party news reports. If there aren't as many reports then Elon becomes just another rich SV startup dude with a big mouth that people tune out.

To me, this isn't a great outcome given the leadership that he could provide on climate change but obviously fighting CRT/ woke mind virus/ US response to a pandemic / Kanye West's detractors / etc. are much more important.

ANOTHER simple fact is that the number of people turned off by Elon is essentially a rounding error.

It was made public knowledge in late Jan, on the quarterly conference call, that Tesla orders were outstripping production capacity by a 2:1 ratio.
I agree. Musk is a laughingstock and most people don't take laughingstocks seriously. Frankly, considering most competing new EV offerings, I'd probably still buy Tesla were I in the market.

Last edited:
By the way, we are still expecting an *exponential* increase in EV sales, right? Not just an increase.
Over a long-term time horizon, yes. But where would the cars come from in the past year?

The West Coast benefitted from faster growth in the first 15 years partially because it was the home of the original Menlo Park factory in San Carlos and then the Fremont factory.

Nowadays, Fremont's production growth is more logarithmic than exponential, because the factory is packed full and has no more room to expand. The growth for North America is now going to come mostly from the Tex-Mex gigafactories, one of which is only just now starting to hit substantial production volume and one of which was announced as a plan only a couple of weeks ago. Therefore, Tesla's growth in politically leftist West Coast areas as well as the entire continent has not been exponential since about 2021. They can't sell cars that don't exist. As the Tex-Mex plants explosively grow output in the next few years, exponential growth of overall N. American deliveries will kick in again, and I would presume this time the location of Austin and Monterrey will lead the balance to shift more towards deliveries to the central and eastern parts of the continent where ~85% of the population lives.

Over a long-term time horizon, yes. But where would the cars come from in the past year?

The West Coast benefitted from faster growth in the first 15 years partially because it was the home of the original Menlo Park factory in San Carlos and then the Fremont factory.

Nowadays, Fremont's production growth is more logarithmic than exponential, because the factory is packed full and has no more room to expand. The growth for North America is now going to come mostly from the Tex-Mex gigafactories, one of which is only just now starting to hit substantial production volume and one of which was announced as a plan only a couple of weeks ago. Therefore, Tesla's growth in politically leftist West Coast areas as well as the entire continent has not been exponential since about 2021. They can't sell cars that don't exist. As the Tex-Mex plants explosively grow output in the next few years, exponential growth of overall N. American deliveries will kick in again, and I would presume this time the location of Austin and Monterrey will lead the balance to shift more towards deliveries to the central and eastern parts of the continent where ~85% of the population lives.

Currently I'm not familiar with all the factors going into these equations, so I just want to mention that in regard to why I might not respond to some points made here.

If you are saying that the location of the Gigafactories matters as to where cars are sold, I'd understand that to imply that production will still not be able to catch up with demand. I wish it could.

I’ve got some ocean front property in Ohio super cheap you might
2023 data is not yet available, but I have set a reminder for myself to come back and reply to this comment in January 2024.

That being said, I will make some incredibly bold predictions right now. Let's see if they end up being correct.

I predict that (unless there are unforeseen production shutdowns or other external factors that inhibit Tesla's ability to produce or deliver cars for reasons obviously unrelated to demand) the 2023 data will show:
  • Tesla once again setting a new all-time sales record in California and in every single county in the state with at least 420 EVs sold in 2022
  • It will happen as measured by absolute number of vehicles sold, relative percentage of the BEV market, and relative percentage of the overall light-duty vehicle
  • Tesla's degree of sales dominance once again exhibiting a strong positive correlation with the percentage of Democratic voters in each respective county in California in 2023 elections
  • Tesla still having a higher overall market share in California than in any other US state
  • San Francisco County, San Mateo County, and Santa Clara County continuing to lead the pack in terms of Tesla's market share despite these being the very counties with the most concentration of people who feel strongly about the Twitter situation
What do you think, have I lost my mind?
So…you don’t have any relevant data. You just wanted to troll the non-worshippers.
Ok, got it.

Last edited:
I could care less, honestly.

I have a job I LOVE. I can do it from anywhere in the world. I don't ever intend to retire, but I may cut back my hours.

The entire "promise" of someone else paying for my retirement never set right with me. Ever. But, I don't trust people, and I trust politicians even less.
Oh, my word. If you received an EV tax credit, it sounds like you wrote a check right back to the government. Because you sound like the type of person who would never want another person to pay for your personal transportation.

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: B@ndit and bkp_duke
Wonder why on earth Elon is going on and on about AI on Twitter? It’s quite strange and not sure what is driving it.

Apparently he has not seen how bad all the new tools are…at pretty much anything. He seems to have had the wool pulled over his eyes once again. They’re very useful…but not in the ways he seems to think. (I’ve used them for coding - they were quite wrong but still quite useful since I always struggle with syntax.)

I don’t think we have anything to fear. But maybe if he rants about this more it’ll be good for everyone! Very distracting and a better use of his ranting.

At least since he is worried about it, we know with high confidence that we have nothing to worry about!

Glad to own NVDA in any case. Just have to know when the latest bubble of enthusiasm for the latest shiny object will burst. Nearly as bad as crypto; hope they handle it better.

Wonder why on earth Elon is going on and on about AI on Twitter? It’s quite strange and not sure what is driving it.

Apparently he has not seen how bad all the new tools are…at pretty much anything. He seems to have had the wool pulled over his eyes once again. They’re very useful…but not in the ways he seems to think. (I’ve used them for coding - they were quite wrong but still quite useful since I always struggle with syntax.)

I don’t think we have anything to fear. But maybe if he rants about this more it’ll be good for everyone! Very distracting and a better use of his ranting.

At least since he is worried about it, we know with high confidence that we have nothing to worry about!

Glad to own NVDA in any case. Just have to know when the latest bubble of enthusiasm for the latest shiny object will burst. Nearly as bad as crypto; hope they handle it better.
Tweet in discussion:

Will accelerate WFH

Then UBI

Then we are just left with memes

All good news for Twitter.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Tweet in discussion:

Will accelerate WFH

Then UBI

Then we are just left with memes

All good news for Twitter.
Lol to Zerohedge (“Zero, Veg” is what I call it.)

Mass delusion. Has its place, but the main characteristic feature of AI so far is that it is really dumb and the results are awful. Hasn’t anyone noticed that is the universal characteristic? It can take tests. Sort of. It can write code, sort of. But it isn’t very good at it.

It has utility for people who are already trained and will probably improve productivity (which is good). It’s very intriguing.

But we sure aren’t going to have robots and robotaxis everywhere any time soon.

Think incremental improvement. Pretty clear at this point.

Mass delusion. Has its place, but the main characteristic feature of AI so far is that it is really dumb and the results are awful. Hasn’t anyone noticed that is the universal characteristic?
AI came to general public knowledge with huge success by beating the best humans at games like Chess and Go much sooner than was expected. Here is a good movie about it:

Another big success, the use of AI for voice recognition, is now nearly ubiquitous.

Decades of not much success in the 20th century led to predictions of a continued lack of success. Those predictions failed with the stunning breakthrough of machines like AlphaZero which can play many different games far better than humans without being taught by humans. We just need to give the machine the rules and let it play against itself to become a world champ in a matter of days. Truly breathtaking.

This rapid success led to predictions of similar rapid AI success in other areas. Alas, these prediction were also wrong although we are now starting to see some pretty spectacular early results from things like ChatGPT and AI art.

In some domains AI totally dominates its human competition. In other domains, where the problem space is less clearly defined, researchers are still struggling to surpass what humans can do.

There is a cycle:
  1. Predictions of mind boggling success
  2. Failure to meet those predictions
  3. Predictions of doom and gloom
  4. Unexpected massive success
  5. rinse, repeat
We seem to currently be in phase (3), perhaps close to rounding the corner into another phase (4) spate of huge successes.

It's true, humans are probably still better than AIs at most things. But AIs are advancing rapidly while humans are almost standing still. The fact that we can get AIs to solve very hard problems merely by training them (not programming them or teaching them) is mind-boggling.

Another thing to keep in mind is the wide-spread "failures" of AIs to do exactly the right thing are a part of the plan. AIs need massive amounts of training data. Many orders of magnitude more than humans need. Widely exposing "failures" to the public is giving AI teams free training. Likewise, Elon is counting on the huge fleet of AI equipped cars to provide the training needed to solve the FSD problem. All the cars they sell now are equipped and help with the training even if FSD is not enabled.

AFAIK, we have not yet found a limit to what AIs can learn given a large enough neural net and enough training data. When I look back over the past 3 or 4 decades of AI research, it sure looks like we should expect some astounding breakthroughs in the next 5 (maybe 10) years. But it's devilishly hard to predict exactly when those breakthroughs will happen. I would not be at all surprised if the tables flipped in the next 10 years and AIs became far better than humans at most things.

Possibly related:

Musk co-founded OpenAI in 2015 and eventually left its board in 2018, saying that his work with the group conflicted with Tesla’s expansion into artificial intelligence. But it turns out that the world’s richest man had reportedly offered to lead OpenAI, and when he was turned down, he walked away from the company, according to news site Semafor. That’s when the ties between Musk and OpenAI ended formally. But after ChatGPT gained millions of users following its debut several months ago, Musk was "furious" and went on the offensive.

AI came to general public knowledge with huge success by beating the best humans at games like Chess and Go much sooner than was expected. Here is a good movie about it:

Another big success, the use of AI for voice recognition, is now nearly ubiquitous.

Decades of not much success in the 20th century led to predictions of a continued lack of success. Those predictions failed with the stunning breakthrough of machines like AlphaZero which can play many different games far better than humans without being taught by humans. We just need to give the machine the rules and let it play against itself to become a world champ in a matter of days. Truly breathtaking.

This rapid success led to predictions of similar rapid AI success in other areas. Alas, these prediction were also wrong although we are now starting to see some pretty spectacular early results from things like ChatGPT and AI art.

In some domains AI totally dominates its human competition. In other domains, where the problem space is less clearly defined, researchers are still struggling to surpass what humans can do.

There is a cycle:
  1. Predictions of mind boggling success
  2. Failure to meet those predictions
  3. Predictions of doom and gloom
  4. Unexpected massive success
  5. rinse, repeat
We seem to currently be in phase (3), perhaps close to rounding the corner into another phase (4) spate of huge successes.

It's true, humans are probably still better than AIs at most things. But AIs are advancing rapidly while humans are almost standing still. The fact that we can get AIs to solve very hard problems merely by training them (not programming them or teaching them) is mind-boggling.

Another thing to keep in mind is the wide-spread "failures" of AIs to do exactly the right thing are a part of the plan. AIs need massive amounts of training data. Many orders of magnitude more than humans need. Widely exposing "failures" to the public is giving AI teams free training. Likewise, Elon is counting on the huge fleet of AI equipped cars to provide the training needed to solve the FSD problem. All the cars they sell now are equipped and help with the training even if FSD is not enabled.

AFAIK, we have not yet found a limit to what AIs can learn given a large enough neural net and enough training data. When I look back over the past 3 or 4 decades of AI research, it sure looks like we should expect some astounding breakthroughs in the next 5 (maybe 10) years. But it's devilishly hard to predict exactly when those breakthroughs will happen. I would not be at all surprised if the tables flipped in the next 10 years and AIs became far better than humans at most things.
The word “success” carries a value judgement. It’s not even faintly clear that AI will, on net, be a positive.

WHO should have just replied 💩 to Musk.

Elon Musk, WHO chief spar on Twitter over U.N. agency's role

“Countries should not cede authority to WHO,” Musk, whose Twitter account has more than 132 million followers, wrote in response to a video of right-wing Australian senator Malcolm Roberts criticising the organisation.

“Countries aren’t ceding sovereignty to @WHO,” Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus tweeted in response. “The #PandemicAccord won’t change that. The accord will help countries better guard against pandemics,” he added.

“If any politician or businessperson, or anyone at all is confused about what the pandemic accord is and isn’t, we would be more than happy to discuss it and explain it,” Tedros said, in an apparent reference to Musk’s comments.

Since COVID-19 first emerged more than three years ago, the World Health Organization has complained of an “infodemic” of misinformation and disinformation around the pandemic.
The WHO is made of 194 member states which take major decisions on its health policies and budgets through an annual assembly attended by governments.

Status
Not open for further replies.