Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Twitter is saying this is organic. The Crips are leaving Twitter, and the Bloods are coming back.

I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'm a conspiracy theorist at heart. Something about it seems fishy. Like... Elon buys Twitter, so 100k people jump to follow some lame congressman? Hmmm ...

Maybe Twitter is removing some hidden dirt before Elon and his minions get in their. Like... Algorithms that lie about follower counts?

Yeah, please define speech... and harassment.

Ask these questions to 100 people and you'll get 50 different answers. Who is right?
You are so close.

This is THE problem with social platforms and moderation.

You can't easily define what they are - but you will know when someone is harassing you and directing abusive speech nonstop. It will affect you and eventually you will leave the place.

So, the fringe abusers will drive out rest of the people. You can see that in some other platforms which have become niche.

Reactions: phantasms
Couple of pages back in this thread, someone suggested Elon will admit that ‘he under appreciated the complexity of the problem’. 😏

It will take him 10 years to do that, though. 😁
Most likely Elon will blame government regulators for his inability to transform Twitter into an Eden of free speech. The EU has already wagged its finger.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Most likely Elon will blame government regulators for his inability to transform Twitter into an Eden of free speech. The EU has already wagged its finger.

Oh, he can whine about the gubmints all over the world, but he has to play by the local laws. If he really wants his Twitter to succeed.

Knowing him, though, he can act very impetuously. I don’t care, really. I was never on Twitter, and will never be, given the changes that are coming.

It might be a town square, but one that’s filled with all the loud riffraff having a go at each other.

Wish Elon all the luck, he will need a lot of it.

Many believe that Mr.Musk is a genius and a wonderful creator, and highly gifted in specific areas. I believe that, he is a unique and highly intelligent individual..What will happen with Twitter, I don't think it will change that much..for economic reasons. What many do not understand is that Mr.Musk suffers from Asperger's Syndrome, a form of Autism Spectrum Disorder. It is a developmental disorder. Young people with Asperger's Syndrome have a difficult time relating to others socially and their behavior and thinking patterns can be rigid and repetitive.
Asperger syndrome is a condition on the autism spectrum, with generally higher functioning.
People with this condition may be socially awkward and have an all-absorbing interest in specific topics.
Communication training and behavioral therapy can help people with the syndrome learn to socialize more successfully.
How this plays out will be interesting to see.

Surprisingly, Twitter has done a pretty good job of moderating hate speech without cutting out the truth. I don't think there is going to be some huge improvement there. Twitter has not done so well with bots.
Hard disagree. Majority of republicans (myself included) feel alienated on all social media platforms, which is why republicans resort to overtly biased locations like Fox News and r/conservative.

What you’re seeing with liberal media coverage of Tesla is just a taste of the world republicans have been living in for over a decade.

Oh, he can whine about the gubmints all over the world, but he has to play by the local laws. If he really wants his Twitter to succeed.

Knowing him, though, he can act very impetuously. I don’t care, really. I was never on Twitter, and will never be, given the changes that are coming.

It might be a town square, but one that’s filled with all the loud riffraff having a go at each other.

Wish Elon all the luck, he will need a lot of it.
If it wasn't for a few sports media guys, Chuck Cook. and greentheonly, I probably wouldn't look at Twitter at all.

Are racist statements free speech? Misogyny? Homophobia?

Or sexual identity?

Are these issues partisan now?
Those are all free speech. There is a gulf of difference between free speech and ethics.

Whether a private social media company should permit that nonsense is a separate discussion though.

But that is the crux of Twitter issue - and Elon doesn't seem to understand this. He thinks everyone should just grow a "thick skin" as he told his black employees do when they complained about racism.

You can't grow a "thick skin" and take abuse all day long. You would much rather quit and spend your free time elsewhere - where you are not abused and harassed all the time.

Moreover - advertisers will not want to spend money on platforms that are full of hate speech.

So - either Elon can have his free speech "town square" or a healthy, prosperous "town square". He can't have both. Afterall how many of us would go to a place that is full of "riffraff" going at each other using abusive, foul language ?

Last edited:
What you’re seeing with liberal media coverage of Tesla is just a taste of the world republicans have been living in for over a decade.
Not liberal - but "neo-con" / "neo-liberal". The left is ignored / vilified on corporate media. I should note that Trump couldn't have become president if the "liberal" media didn't give him billions of $ of free advertisement by carrying all his rally speeches live without any edits or "censorship".

Not really - Elon has already said they will follow the laws. They have to - otherwise they will not be able to do business in a particular country.

In Germany since Nazi speech is banned - Twitter has to make an effort to remove Nazi speech they show in Germany. They have to also respond to any reports of Nazi speech, investigate and remove those posts.

They will also have to remove posts that infringe copyrights.

Good thing is - Elon doesn't have to do anything for these. Twitter already does all this.

Ofcourse, Twitter can refuse to follow local laws - like they do with China - and get banned there.

Status
Not open for further replies.