Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not true of course- Twitter has banned tons of folks on BOTH sides of politics.

A few years ago they banned dozens and dozens of left-wing "leaders" in the Occupy movement for example.

Though even if it were, why is that an issue?

They're a business. They reserve the right to refuse service to anybody they choose.

If you disagree with those choices, take your business elsewhere.
So you’re fact checking me because Twitter banned some occupy movement people years ago? I know you can do better.

You do realize that the current Twitter doesn’t let people that follow the rules stay right? The fact that they pick and choose based on political ideology despite the rules is the issue. Forget everything else.
I believe you might believe that. Of course you provide no evidence. Try providing an example of a right winger who was banned despite following the rules. Then provide evidence that the rules were followed. You know, like you actually have something true to say and know it's true for a reason beyond that it makes you happy to think it's so.

Because you replied to me and mentioned it. Yes please give me the examples.

I did.

I cited a huge # of left-wing folks banned in 2018. There were 80 of them at the time, and plenty of news coverage on it.

Ok, so now we have established that "80 examples of rjack1281s claims being untrue" is not sufficient for you to admit it and stop posting untrue things.

How many examples are enough for you to switch to not posting untrue things?

Because increasingly it sounds like there's literally no amount of examples of you being wrong that will do that. And shows why it would've been a waste of time to cite the many others that also prove your claim wrong.

Which is unfortunate, but unsurprising.

Also! This is a great example of Brandolinis law in action

One guy posts a false claim. Then he demands others invest a ton of their time proving him wrong. And then literally no amount of doing so has any impact on them.

Good luck to Elon in finding a way around said law, because nobody else has so far.

Twitter has also banned plenty of people for harassment, misleading vaccination claims and a host of other reasons. In terms of politicians with suspensions & bans they were very clear of what rules weren't being followed and gave them plenty of opportunities to fix / correct / stop.

This is the problem I have with Elon taking over Twitter. If he brings back the ability for politicians to straight up misinform then he is picking a side. If he doesn't bring this back then he is picking the other side.

Over the last few days, I've been thinking about what Musk might have in store for Twitter beyond the obvious and immediate. He could implement tipping and in-app purchases using dogecoin. He always wanted to build a type of online bank at X.com and PayPal, so maybe he will integrate some other no-fee crypto custody, banking, and payments features. The "X Project" mentioned in the deal slide deck could be something like that.

Last edited:
Elon thinks big, and he knows that newspapers are not the future. Social media platforms are.

So I think this is Elon's play to go one up on Bezos (yet again). It's a competition to have the best and most respected source of public truth. I doubt Bezos even knows there's a battle on yet.
One option is pretty obvious from Musk's stated opinion that you should pick and choose among journalists: disintermediate the publication by allowing tips directly to journalist accounts. Musk would go from zero to hero among journalists in no time.

The key is to make tipping as frictionless as possible. In my view, Americans at least would go wild tipping their favorite journalists (and charities and advocacy organizations, and yes even politicians...).

If Musk approaches this from a free speech infrastructure perspective, there's a lot of low hanging fruit.

Or another graph that doesn't show the left all that innocent. Both sides are radical. But hey pick and choose what you want to believe.
Screenshot 2022-05-09 105143.png

Or another graph that doesn't show the left all that innocent. Both sides are radical. But hey pick and choose what you want to believe.
View attachment 802131

Your own chart appears to show far right wing violence happening at roughly 2.5-3 times the rate of far left overall.... Both sides are radical, but one is pretty clearly more actually violent and law breaking about it- particuarly over the last decade or so (as that ratio appears to be similar to (or sometimes even smaller a ratio than) almost the previous 10 years per factcheckings chart.)

So as FactChecking points out, that means a neutral arbitrator would ban that side significantly more often, though still be doing some banning on both sides.

Which is literally what we have seen happen on twitter and other platforms.

One option is pretty obvious from Musk's stated opinion that you should pick and choose among journalists: disintermediate the publication by allowing tips directly to journalist accounts. Musk would go from zero to hero among journalists in no time.

The key is to make tipping as frictionless as possible. In my view, Americans at least would go wild tipping their favorite journalists (and charities and advocacy organizations, and yes even politicians...).

If Musk approaches this from a free speech infrastructure perspective, there's a lot of low hanging fruit.
This strikes me as a really bad idea insofar as getting informative news. Cafeteria plan news means that people only get what they want to hear, instead of being informed by a broad variety of sources. It's partly what has happened since the move from physical newspapers to click news, but at least with news outlets, they can subsidize the less click-worthy stories by subscription fees. Not to get all old-man on readers, but the nice thing about an old newspaper is that you could read it cover to cover and get a broad set of information on topics you wouldn't necessarily have chosen otherwise, but might round out your interests.

Humans are moved more by storytelling than they are by facts. We are moved more by outrage than we are by simple information. The idea of humans as rational actors in economics and psychology has long been abandoned, so the concept that we'd pick only the most accurate news to "tip" seems very unlikely. Humans would pick the most compelling and emotion-inducing articles and those would rise to the top. The incentives for journalists would be to create more of these. People like Alex Jones have been able to profit off of this particular combination for years. A platform without guardrails would result in a lot of Alex Jones types across all subsets of political and ideological views. I seriously doubt it would incentivize long form, multi-reporter investigative journalism that may or may not pay off. The financial model would certainly be much more lucrative for spewers of emotion-inducing nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.