Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the real question is: Does Tesla have a succession plan? If they do, what is it? All companies should have plans for what to do should anyone leave the company.

I thought the succession plan was to shut down the company and bury the board of directors alive with Elon Musk.

I might be confusing Musk with a Pharaoh though.

I'd say Tesla is also getting hit with the Elon chaos tax.
To be fair to us, Tesla shareholders have been paying the Elon Chaos Tax since 2012 or so. Our gains are still pretty good even with this heavy taxation!

To be fair to us, Tesla shareholders have been paying the Elon Chaos Tax since 2012 or so. Our gains are still pretty good even with this heavy taxation!

What Elon brings to the table far FAR outweighs the negatives of things like his political posts.

Without him at the helm, I have serious doubts if Tesla could be even remotely close to where it is now (both in terms of stock price, and in terms of auto deliveries/market share/technological lead).

Those of us with above-average IQs see this for what it is, and are able to push through the "noise".

As I stated in the other thread Tesla did not become successful because of Elon's Tweets but because of his engineering skills and drive to succeed. His recent twitter ranting, unhinged and divorced from reality, are negatively impacting the share price. If you don't think a significant number of investors are questioning their investment because of it you're deluding yourself.

As I stated in the other thread Tesla did not become successful because of Elon's Tweets but because of his engineering skills and drive to succeed. His recent twitter ranting, unhinged and divorced from reality, are negatively impacting the share price. If you don't think a significant number of investors are questioning their investment because of it you're deluding yourself.

You cannot separate the two. So you have to decide if you want to make more money with him, or separate yourself from him and sell your shares.

AGAIN - the man WILL NOT stop, it's a core component to his psyche. Period.

Look. Alienating half the US population is not a sound business strategy. Not unless the other half is going to buy twice as many cars to make up the difference.

Musk has some good skills for starting a company. But to keep it running, his actions are very questionable. Taking a risk on something like a dancing robot makes sense for a startup when you have to take risks. Making this teslabot the company's primary focus just goes to show that Musk is not the guy you want for a stable company.

Musk has some good skills for starting a company. But to keep it running, his actions are very questionable. Taking a risk on something like a dancing robot makes sense for a startup when you have to take risks. Making this teslabot the company's primary focus just goes to show that Musk is not the guy you want for a stable company.
The bot is not anywhere near the primary focus for the company as of yet. It's actually a reasonable product move leveraging their other engineering strengths. I have no issue with the Tesla Bot, frankly I'd like to see it take over Elon's Twitter account.

So was reasoning by first principles, supposedly, which is not what he's currently doing.

No, I think you are imposing your own political views on the argument. You WANT something so badly and it bothers you SO MUCH that you are looking for arguments of convenience. That is by definition, a bias.

Elon has said he wants free speech on twitter, minus bots and CLEARLY illegal things like threats of violence (certain groups keep glossing over this like he didn't say it). It's clear he intends on doing that.

Plus, frankly, it's his money, he can spend it how the hell it wants. Our input on his decision is not welcome or warranted, because he's taking it private. The only people that LEGITIMATELY get a say in how he spends this bucket of money are the other investors that are in with him to take the company private.

And honestly, the more those on the left scream and have fit about this, the more it is going to solidify his decision. They are just cementing his resolve with the attacks, etc.

Look. Alienating half the US population is not a sound business strategy. Not unless the other half is going to buy twice as many cars to make up the difference.

We've been down this argument before:
1) the VAST majority of the left are not going to stop buying Teslas. They don't feel THAT strongly about what he's doing.
2) the few that are going to move away from the brand have VERY limited choices. Ford . . . HA HA HA. VW . . . dieselgate by any objective measure is worse. GM . . . no one is going to buy the Hummer in volume, it's a joke. All the remaining choices come with serious compromises (limited charging network, piss poor OTA updates if any, sub-standard battery tech, etc. etc.).

Again, if you don't agree with him, the stock market is at multi-year lows right now. There are plenty of "good" companies you can go pick up their stock at a discount. But don't expect any of them, long-term, to out-perform Tesla.

No, I think you are imposing your own political views on the argument.
No, you're making assumptions. My view is that regardless of politics Twitter is a huge, meaningless distraction for him and the entire deal has nothing to do with first principles reasoning. Twitter is not the end all be all of free speech nor is it in such disarray that it needs fixing. His recent irrational tweeting is just making a bad situation worse.

The only people that LEGITIMATELY get a say in how he spends this bucket of money are the other investors that are in with him to take the company private.
No when the CEO of a company sells shares to buy a different company the shareholders of the first have every right and reason to have a say. Seriously, it's always an event if a CEO dumps a large amount of shares, more so when they then put their money into another company.

No, you're making assumptions. My view is that regardless of politics Twitter is a huge, meaningless distraction for him and the entire deal has nothing to do with first principles reasoning. Twitter is not the end all be all of free speech nor is it in such disarray that it needs fixing. His recent irrational tweeting is just making a bad situation worse.

So you don't take Elon's word at face value? He publicly stated that Twitter occupies less than 5% of his time.

• Funny
Reactions: Brn2Run
No when the CEO of a company sells shares to buy a different company the shareholders of the first have every right and reason to have a say. Seriously, it's always an event if a CEO dumps a large amount of shares, more so when they then put their money into another company.

YOU don't own or have a say in how and what he does with his shares. Just as he doesn't say when and how you can share yours.

When you need to buy a house, car, etc. do you have to go to him for permission to sell? HA HA HA

So you don't take Elon's word at face value? He publicly stated that Twitter occupies less than 5% of his time.
Even if accurate it's 4.9999% too much.
YOU don't own or have a say in how and what he does with his shares. Just as he doesn't say when and how you can share yours.

When you need to buy a house, car, etc. do you have to go to him for permission to sell? HA HA HA
If you don't know the difference between the responsibilities of a CEO to shareholders and the opposite I don't know what to tell you.

Even if accurate it's 4.9999% too much.

If you don't know the difference between the responsibilities of a CEO to shareholders and the opposite I don't know what to tell you.

First - your opinion.

Second - veiled personal attack. There ARE regulations that limit when a CEO can sell shares, but there NOT regulations that require CEOs to get shareholder approval to sell their shares.

It's pretty pompous of you to think you should have a say when someone else sells their personal property (and his shares are, by definition, personal property).

I'm sure some moron will put in a shareholder proposal to remove Elon, so feel free to vote your shares if that's how you feel. But the odds of that passing . . . are pretty much zero.

• Disagree
Reactions: Brn2Run and Xepa777

That’s true. I was an early adopter and a shareholder. However, that’s just those investors who made money from the early days or mid to late mid period.

Going forward, the outlook for TSLA or Tesla as a company is uncertain. First mover advantage is not the only thing you can hang on to. Many first movers were not the ultimate winners.

Following things can go against Tesla:

1. If Electrify America and others get their stuff together and make a reliable, ubiquitous charging network
2. Make better ADAS than Tesla, even though this is not super important, as long as the system works well for freeways and interchanges
3. Offer better customer service

Rest of the stuff is likely better than Tesla in their current offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.