Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to be getting quite emotional over this. My preference is to participate in rational dialogue based upon facts that can be shared, rather than "truths" based only upon opinion held by someone clearly holding a bias and avoiding offering support for their opinion.

Support for your claim would be that which anyone else can easily access, view, and measure for themselves.

Please, elaborate upon how you determined there were slanders in the video when you wrote that you didn't watch it. I'm curious about how this works. It sounds intriguing.

You also claim a piece of news that came out prior to release of the video (released hours later) "directly addressed the slanders in the video" correct? Is this some sort of psychic reporting where the Supreme Court directly address the content of a specific video before it is made public?

If you have subsequently viewed it, let me know where in the video these "slanders" can be found (minute:second), and/or what was actually said (quote, paraphrase, etc.), then, elaborate upon what led you to believe made the identified statement a slander.

If you can accomplish this without tearing off into an incoherent rant, that would be great.

To be crystal clear, I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm still just trying to learn more detail about WTF you are going on about.
I didn't think posting a news article constituted an "incoherent rant".
Slander: the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation. (clue: watch the first minute of the video)

I was explaining my stance to a friend and I associate this move in a similar way to the Linux open sourced kernel and security layer in conjunction with wikipedia in that when you have a body of code that is open sourced, folks can easily see and modify it (easy for devs) to the point where it can be peer reviewed, A/B tested...etc, it then becomes straightforward to know how useful it is when it helps to further humanity rather than dissuade or harm.
I don't see Twitter ever "open sourcing" the algorithms that drive the content that you see - certainly nowhere near the same way that the Linux kernel or any other similar large, successful open source project.

The Linux kernel is successful as an open source project because it provides a huge amount of utility and has continued to be successful because basically the vast majority significant contributions to the Linux kernel these days (and this has probably been true since at the early-2000s) are made by developers paid to work on the kernel from a number of companies. The diversity of companies that the Linux kernel has attracted is it's primary strength as an open source project.

So how would an "open source" Twitter content feed algorithm work? I suppose if a well defined API into Twitter's data stores were present, one could take those APIs and then essentially build their own clients. To effectively sift through huge amounts of data, Twitter would probably have to let you host your software on their cloud platform. To be effective, you would need to be able to attract a diverse array of developers focused on improving people's feeds.

Now you can attract a set of limited developers who will work for free in their free time, simply because they find it interesting. But any significant work will eventually be at least partially paid for by a company looking to some sort of ROI - so where is the business model? What will that company sell? What services built on top of Twitter will attract enough people to build a better Twitter content feed?

Opinion | Are Elon Musk and Twitter Trapped in a Bad Marriage?

In this conversation, Kara Swisher takes stock of the Twitter-Musk marriage with Roose and William Cohan, a business writer for Puck News. They break down the balance of power between Musk and Twitter and discuss why Musk even wants the company. And Cohan breaks down how the math clears — after all, even with help from a potpourri of wealthy investors, including Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison and Prince Alwaleed bin Talal of Saudi Arabia, there are still questions about how Musk, the richest person in the world, will find the tens of billions of dollars he needs to close this deal.\

Good thing he fired his entire PR team and he just keeps tweeting nonsense that the SEC is apparently never going to enforce his craziness. Being different is one thing. Screwing with peoples investments and future is another. To a Billionaire it means nothing. But he has single handedly lost 10s of Billions in investors money by making crazy tweets from Twitter, TSLA, layoffs, now claiming hiring more blah blah. He’s about as reliable as Cathie Woods when it comes to investing. I ran the other way from Woods 6 months ago when I predicted her ARKK was going down to $50 from the $170 range it was at. Got laughed at my the diamond hands on Reddit. Maybe TSLA has massive upside but most stocks in the SPY are crazy volatile now.

Good thing he fired his entire PR team and he just keeps tweeting nonsense that the SEC is apparently never going to enforce his craziness. Being different is one thing. Screwing with peoples investments and future is another. To a Billionaire it means nothing. But he has single handedly lost 10s of Billions in investors money by making crazy tweets from Twitter, TSLA, layoffs, now claiming hiring more blah blah. He’s about as reliable as Cathie Woods when it comes to investing. I ran the other way from Woods 6 months ago when I predicted her ARKK was going down to $50 from the $170 range it was at. Got laughed at my the diamond hands on Reddit. Maybe TSLA has massive upside but most stocks in the SPY are crazy volatile now.
Yeah, I've just about had it with his erratic tweets. Some say he's playing 3D chess. I think he's just clueless crazy.

Right . . . because the entire market isn't down right now or anything as we head into a likely recession . . . on the heals of the highest energy prices since the 1970s . . . with the largest war going on in Europe since WWII. There is no "safe port" for stock investments at the moment. And most alternatives have gotten battered just as badly.

But tell yourself whatever you need to comfort yourself.

Meanwhile, I'm literally scraping together every $100k I can to invest in more TSLA right now. They are the only car company selling MORE cars than fewer right now, and have a year+ backlog of orders, and have a ridiculous forward P/E for a company growing 50+ YoY.

Right . . . because the entire market isn't down right now or anything as we head into a likely recession . . . on the heals of the highest energy prices since the 1970s . . . with the largest war going on in Europe since WWII. There is no "safe port" for stock investments at the moment. And most alternatives have gotten battered just as badly.

But tell yourself whatever you need to comfort yourself.

Meanwhile, I'm literally scraping together every $100k I can to invest in more TSLA right now. They are the only car company selling MORE cars than fewer right now, and have a year+ backlog of orders, and have a ridiculous forward P/E for a company growing 50+ YoY.
Market is crazy but Elon just amplifies it with his erratic tweets. I wish he would just stop tweeting about politics, free speech, lazy employees, etc. And get back to running his companies.

Market is crazy but Elon just amplifies it with his erratic tweets. I wish he would just stop tweeting about politics, free speech, lazy employees, etc. And get back to running his companies.
This is just the beginning. Zero chance that Elon will back-off from taking on these tasks.
1654440407075.png

Perhaps on a day to day it's amplified, but TSLA is not down more than other "tech" piers like NVDA, AMD, etc. over that time.

Plus - anyone investing in TSLA should already be aware of this with Elon. The b!tching and moaning here is just people not happy with his political stance, he's ALWAYS been outspoken like this on Twitter, and controversial. And I'm fine with that, TSLA is the best performing stock I have ever owned. EVER. And I'm not that young.

Perhaps on a day to day it's amplified, but TSLA is not down more than other "tech" piers like NVDA, AMD, etc. over that time.

Plus - anyone investing in TSLA should already be aware of this with Elon. The b!tching and moaning here is just people not happy with his political stance, he's ALWAYS been outspoken like this on Twitter, and controversial. And I'm fine with that, TSLA is the best performing stock I have ever owned. EVER. And I'm not that young.
Yes, I am aware of Elon's continuing attempts to sabotage the stock (intentionally and unintentionally) and the fact that in the long term it has defied his efforts.
Still, I wish he would grow up.

Yes, I am aware of Elon's continuing attempts to sabotage the stock (intentionally and unintentionally) and the fact that in the long term it has defied his efforts.
Still, I wish he would grow up.

He's 50 years old. You should just dismiss that thinking, he's not going to change at that age. Wishing for that will probably just cause you undue frustration moving forward.

I'd argue his unlikeliness to change is much more about being on the spectrum than it is about being 50. As I mentioned upthread, the end-of-history illusion is just that.

Regardless, anyone that has followed him for more than a passing glance should know he's remarkably stubborn, and that serves him well in most situations.

He's 50 years old. You should just dismiss that thinking, he's not going to change at that age. Wishing for that will probably just cause you undue frustration moving forward.
I agree.
I have done very well with TSLA even with Elon's erratic behavior regularly sabotaging the stock. I also think he has built a resilient, innovative company that will succeed regardless of what he does.
So, I will probably stick with the stock. However, that does not make it easier to watch his antics.

I agree.
I have done very well with TSLA even with Elon's erratic behavior regularly sabotaging the stock. I also think he has built a resilient, innovative company that will succeed regardless of what he does.
So, I will probably stick with the stock. However, that does not make it easier to watch his antics.

See, I think this is a matter of perspective.

I'm more moderate in my political leaning. I LOVE Elon's behavior. I think it endears him to a much broader audience (some of the left, all of the middle, some of the right - - instead of just the left and left-leaning middle). Sure, it makes the stock choppy, but it also "winds the screw" of demand all that much more. I have personally heard many people, face to face, that have said something along the lines of "man, I thought that guy was a left-wing nut and would have never considered buying a Tesla, but after the last 6 months and liking what he says, I finally went and drove one of those cars and it was fantastic, I had to order one."

This is scenario of never being able to make everyone happy, and I'm fine with that. I'm elated at what my TSLA stock has done long-term. I blame J.Powell and the Fed FAR MORE for the more recent share price decline than Elon and his purchase of Twitter, fights with politicians (which I'm happy to see him call them out on their hypocrisy), etc.

So again, matter of perspective. You can make some of the people happy all the time, but only all of the people happy some of the time.

he's ALWAYS been outspoken like this on Twitter, and controversial.
No he's been cranking it up to a new level recently, everyone can see the difference.
I have personally heard many people, face to face, that have said something along the lines of "man, I thought that guy was a left-wing nut and would have never considered buying a Tesla,
Of course he's never been remotely close to a left wing nut nor has he Tweeted along those lines.

Reactions: Dave EV and mspohr
But that's how he was perceived, JUST because he was pushing green transportation. His appeal is FAR broader now than it was 1-2 years ago.
May be on the right. He has not been perceived as anywhere near left, for a long time. I don’t know how exactly it started but accelerated because of his anti-union, anti-public transport stance. I traced a bit of history on this in the market thread a couple of years back.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and mspohr
Status
Not open for further replies.