Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Government blocking sale

On what basis?

There's no regulation I can remotely think of that would impede the deal.

As ML noted a while back:

It is not in a heavily regulated industry, and there’s no particular antitrust problem with Musk acquiring it. “World’s richest person acquires the main venue for public communication” does seem like the sort of thing that ought to raise regulatory concerns, but in our actually existing system I’m not sure what those concerns would be.

On what basis?

There's no regulation I can remotely think of that would impede the deal.

As ML noted a while back:

It is not in a heavily regulated industry, and there’s no particular antitrust problem with Musk acquiring it. “World’s richest person acquires the main venue for public communication” does seem like the sort of thing that ought to raise regulatory concerns, but in our actually existing system I’m not sure what those concerns would be.
The President can block the sale for national security reasons. The only question is whether this would be viewed as a brilliant move by Elon or unfair persecution.
(Why is there no tinfoil hat emoji!)

• Funny
Reactions: ZsoZso
The President can block the sale for national security reasons. The only question is whether this would be viewed as a brilliant move by Elon or unfair persecution.
(Why is there no tinfoil hat emoji!)

well, yes he can.

But there aren't any here. Twitter is not a national security apparatus and "people posting short crazy stuff on a platform less than 3% of the world even uses" isn't a national security issue.

Like...at all.

So the only question is why you think that could happen.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
well, yes he can.

But there aren't any here. Twitter is not a national security apparatus and "people posting short crazy stuff on a platform less than 3% of the world even uses" isn't a national security issue.

Like...at all.

So the only question is why you think that could happen.
Who owns social media companies is absolutely a national security issue. For example the US government is still determining whether to force TikTok to be sold to an American company.

Reactions: 30seconds
If this rise of competing Twitter-like entities goes anything like the rise of alternative cryptocurrencies (a tightly linked phenomenon!), we have little to worry about.
Though I think that I’m probably going to owe @AlanSubie4Life another beer. Hopefully they took a lesson from Twitter and got an even more airtight contract from Ye. They better have gotten a bunch of psych evaluations to prove his sanity at the time of signing.
We’ll see. Elon is very mercurial. I think the deal could go bad still. After all, the Twitter board is out to get Elon, and he does not take kindly to that.

I think 75% chance of deal closing by October 28th. Just in time for free speech to be restored before the election.

Who owns social media companies is absolutely a national security issue. For example the US government is still determining whether to force TikTok to be sold to an American company.

No, it's really not determining that, because it literally can't "force" that to happen.

It could threaten to block the app in the US (which might cause it to make more business sense to sell its US operations than shut it down)- but that's it.

In any event- the issue there was storing and feeding US data from foreign servers.

Elon is an American citizen and twitters servers are in the US so that's irrelevant entirely to the discussion.

(and it appears the compromise is simply for tiktok to store their data in the US, with Oracle, who will monitor the behavior of it)

Last edited:
Though I think that I’m probably going to owe @AlanSubie4Life another beer. Hopefully they took a lesson from Twitter and got an even more airtight contract from Ye.

Reporting I've seen is they didn't get anything but an agreement in principle to buy Parler: Essentially he agreed to try and negotiate a merger agreement--- presumably AFTER he as done some due dilligence.

Which suggests he has either much more competent lawyers than Elon, or at least that he listens to his lawyers advice better than Elon.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
Reporting I've seen is they didn't get anything but an agreement in principle to buy Parler: Essentially he agreed to try and negotiate a merger agreement--- presumably AFTER he as done some due dilligence.

Which suggests he has either much more competent lawyers than Elon, or at least that he listens to his lawyers advice better than Elon.
And Parler almost certainly benefits from this publicity even if Ye decides not to buy.
No, it's really not determining that, because it literally can't "force" that to happen.

It could threaten to block the app in the US- but that's it.

In any event- the issue there was storing and feeding US data from foreign servers.

Elon is an American citizen and twitters servers are in the US so that's irrelevant entirely to the discussion.

(and it appears the compromise is simply for tiktok to store their data in the US, with Oracle, who will monitor the behavior of it)
You have a very literal definition of force. If TiKTok were blocked in the US then it would be dumb for them not to sell the US operations to an American company.
American citizens can be national security threats. There could be evidence of Elon’s plans to help Russia and China influence public opinion (e.g. “self determination” for occupied parts of Ukraine but not for Taiwan until China invades). Crazier things have happened.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Likely neither. Candace Owens, wife of Parler's owner, seems to have influenced him into buying, probably for much more than it's worth. Funny thing, if Ye keeps going on insane rants on Parler and they aren't removed then the app will be removed from Google and Apple stores and Parler will be worth even less.

• Informative
Reactions: Knightshade
Why am I getting disagrees from being confused? I am so confused :confused:
Often disagree just means “you made me sad/mad”
Tweet seems to be deleted. I guess fun times are not ahead. Tin foil hat back on and chances of beer from @AlanSubie4Life are going up.
If you search for the tweet number and click on link it looks like you can see deleted tweets. Has Elon ever deleted a tweet before? I need to know why he deleted this! Thinking it must be some sort of legal reason.
1666046470371.png

Status
Not open for further replies.