Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you get right down to it, an uninformed persons opinion on any technical question is basically worthless.

Everyone knows this but the human ego is reluctant to accept this when it comes to their own opinion.

It’s much easier to say “hey, I may not be an engineer but I think this building code is pointless” than it is to admit that a person with actual experience, often many people over years, already looked into it.

It’s the tragedy of the internet. You now have more access to free expertise than ever. Unfortunately the price is access to people with no expertise acting like their opinion matters. Twitter is really the worst it’s like over 90% unfounded opinion, or even worse, opinions about other peoples opinions.
How about...’hey, I may not be an engineer but that structure doesn’t look safe to me....’. Should an engineer ignore that?

Reactions: bkp_duke
How about...’hey, I may not be an engineer but that structure doesn’t look safe to me....’. Should an engineer ignore that?
If it’s about some deck your neighbor put up by himself with no permits, no.

If someone says “I am no engineer but the Burj Dubai is too tall, it’s an affront to Moses who said do not build more that six cubits” yes.

Ideally an engineer would have enough time to look at that (and the employer enough money to pay them for doing so), but especially with a structure like that of Twitter, it will quickly lead to information overload. Twitter lacks a meaningful filter for information, especially for such a purpose.

You have that in open source software projects and their bug reporting, for example, but this is possible due to the specific niche character of specific motivation, and even so is often troubled by the amount of invalid, unspecific or repetitive reports.

A problem with Twitter is the tendency to throw everything in one big pot (unless you just follow specific persons), and to encourage spur of the moment postings. On the other hand, that may also be some of its attraction for those who like that. But it appears to affect the quality of opinion forming especially regarding emotional political content. Some of it resulting in valid (or at least interesting) questions, but these questions are not asked in a way that those who could answer them would have the time and money to answer them (except maybe select few), especially given the risk of mentioning details that are then misinterpreted, misquoted and misrepresented, and then having to correct that (or not be able to do so).

There would have to be an intermediate or filter, and that is (or has been) the media. But in so far as the media is now "fake news", there is no substitute either, other than small echo chamber outlets who at some point give up on significant fact checking and start pushing their "common sense" which is specific to their small audience under the pressure of making an interesting statement that gets heard, sometimes like their audience has hearing problems (which may be the case).

Last edited:
Reactions: JRP3 and dhrivnak
When you get right down to it, an uninformed persons opinion on any technical question is basically worthless.

Everyone knows this but the human ego is reluctant to accept this when it comes to their own opinion.

It’s much easier to say “hey, I may not be an engineer but I think this building code is pointless” than it is to admit that a person with actual experience, often many people over years, already looked into it.

It’s the tragedy of the internet. You now have more access to free expertise than ever. Unfortunately the price is access to people with no expertise acting like their opinion matters. Twitter is really the worst it’s like over 90% unfounded opinion, or even worse, opinions about other peoples opinions.

I will say that there can be value with informed lay people asking legitimate questions and challenging the status quo, and even at times from uninformed people thinking outside of the box they don't know exists. The problem is wading through all the noise to find actual value.

I will say that there can be value with informed lay people asking legitimate questions and challenging the status quo, and even at times from uninformed people thinking outside of the box they don't know exists. The problem is wading through all the noise to find actual value.

Especially when there is a strong current of “why should I listen to someone who has spent their entire technical career working on this when I heard from my mom’s friend / random dude with an internet show / my dogwalker’s assistant that the government is hiding the TRUTH they don't want you to see.”

also in Yahoo....https://news.yahoo.com/elon-musk-called-release-qanon-102630776.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANBLDBbLf29B9KTnWjhIa6fKotdlxPnputBhiYWbR3fz4-ffj61oTfjpASsFTtkr2c64KL06X7WOOLYof2YQrMdaO5Nce_05D9RtTDEGWx8P4BIFVF7he50IfHhxrzmfIDKasySvqpwTzcKlI5fwoPlBgOGEZdeEaGEAq0caNF0W
and Forbes....https://www.forbes.com/sites/tylerroush/2023/03/11/elon-musk-joins-right-wing-support-for-qanon-shaman-claiming-jan-6-footage-misleading/?sh=3b8e9e029c79

true?

also in Yahoo....https://news.yahoo.com/elon-musk-called-release-qanon-102630776.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANBLDBbLf29B9KTnWjhIa6fKotdlxPnputBhiYWbR3fz4-ffj61oTfjpASsFTtkr2c64KL06X7WOOLYof2YQrMdaO5Nce_05D9RtTDEGWx8P4BIFVF7he50IfHhxrzmfIDKasySvqpwTzcKlI5fwoPlBgOGEZdeEaGEAq0caNF0W
and Forbes....https://www.forbes.com/sites/tylerroush/2023/03/11/elon-musk-joins-right-wing-support-for-qanon-shaman-claiming-jan-6-footage-misleading/?sh=3b8e9e029c79

true?
TSLA is the only stock on my watchlist still negative. Maybe it hs to do with Elon saying he would be open to buying another failing company. Makes sense since the Twitter deal has gone so well.

I had not heard this about Twitter's operational performance.

Is this just a made up a story to hit on Elon, or has Twitter's performance really gotten worse ? Article claims this is the 6th major outage in 2023 versus 9 all of 2022.

Yes, from what I’ve heard from local friends who previously worked there, they are in a break fix operational mode and not a pre-emptive get ahead of a problem operational mode. They’ve also moved down two tiers with S3, so as demand spikes they don’t have the same elasticity of cloud compute that they once had.

And everyone thinks they can do that wading. But they can’t/don’t and just cherry-pick whatever they see that reinforces their tribal views.
Then they tend to get belligerent and ever-less-civil about it.

Reactions: Norbert
I had not heard this about Twitter's operational performance.

Is this just a made up a story to hit on Elon, or has Twitter's performance really gotten worse ? Article claims this is the 6th major outage in 2023 versus 9 all of 2022.

I use twitter pretty much daily since 2020, haven't seen any sign that its performance is getting worse. In fact after Musk took over they fixed a bug that's preventing me from using official twitter app on my iPad, very help since I hate 3rd party twitter apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.