Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I endorse this message.
Seems to me to be a protective way to build an echo chamber. Basically saying "I want this conversation to be rife with selection bias." Not exactly public town square material, but I can see where it's entertaining. Some reddit subs are like this - if you criticize whatever their thing is, you get banned by the moderators there.

In news relevant to this thread:

Gee, I thought this thread was for any mention of Twitter, at least that's what the mods keep indicating when Twitter is mentioned on the main thread.

In any case, Elon's role in turning Twitter into a (far worse than it used to be) hellscape of propaganda and conspiracy theories, leading by example, is pretty much on topic.
There is that, sure. But I was responding to a post about the fabulous and Very Important One Year Anniversary of “Elongate” ....and how, according to argumentative posts on Twitter, it had been debunked. Do we really need to repost here every rehash of every he said/she said controversy involving Elon?
Just because all of them pop up in some form on Twitter?

+1 exactly what I have said many times in this thread.

Any new beast, you need to put in the effort to get the best out of it. After that MSM becomes yellow rag or worse, obsessing over Elons peeing and Twitter's office locks. On the other hand Twitter users (the ones who follow the correct people) know that Bhakmut has fallen to the Russians, while the sheep following NYT and other MSM still think Ukraine is winning the war.
None of this is accurate. Just more proof Twitter is not a place to easily obtain an accurate and nuanced understanding of the news.

Reactions: JRP3
Its just what we are used to.

As a lawyer, all the people you named, all politicians, all celebrities, and especially all media outlets, both traditional or not, are not "the source" of any information. Let me put it another way, with what I am used to, its only a minimal amount of diligence to get to the actual source.

Today for example, the US Supreme Court issued two rulings on Circular 230 cases, dealing with Google's liability. Since I can easily get the actual ruling, i know that any "report" of today's cases is someone who read the ruling. In the case of Twitter its a tweet of someone who may have read what someone wrote about the ruling. And then, with Twitter, its what someone thought about what someone wrote about what someone else wrote about the ruling.

Twitter easily gets you like five levels removed from the actual source!!. And to no benefit. Read the actual source.

Anyway, that's why I am not on Twitter, and other people are. It would never occur to me that the people you named above are the source of anything, even a piece of legislation drafted supposedly by a member of congress is actually drafted by staff, its a fair bet that most congress people don't even read what they are voting on. Why would I care about their summary?

That's the crux of the difference of opinion. As an investor, I care very much about actions Elon takes with respect to Tesla. I care quite a bit less about 30% of the stuff he says is going to happen at Tesla, as he has a record of being overly optimistic. I don't care at all about Elon's opinion of the crime/homeless situation in San Francisco. I mean, were are not pals. He doesn't even live in San Francisco. If I want to find out how San Francisco is doing, I can, like go there, or I can find many sources which are not celebrities or politicians to see what data there is.

But he clearly loves the fact that people read his tweets about crime in SF. He loves it so much he bought the whole company!

The TMC "investor's roundtable" is by far the best source on the company. By far. It consists of people who consistantly post links to direct sourcing of data. Sometimes its posts on other opinions, but the value is really that the TMC posters care enough to do some research prior to posting. On that forum you had guys tracking shipments of Teslas on RORO ships docking in Europe!! With the dates the ships left port and GPS coordinates!

The TMC Energy products forum has actual licensed electricians posting on the technical requirements of systems!

Twitter is just too far removed from the actual sourcing for me. Obviously, reasonable people can differ on this. That much I have learned here.
This is erudite. It should be pinned somewhere.

Gee, I thought this thread was for any mention of Twitter, at least that's what the mods keep indicating when Twitter is mentioned on the main thread.

In any case, Elon's role in turning Twitter into a (far worse than it used to be) hellscape of propaganda and conspiracy theories, leading by example, is pretty much on topic.

There is no place on TMC for "any mention of Twitter and anything happening on it" full stop, do not pass go. Just because "elon said it / did it" does not mean its appropriate content for TMC, and just because "its posted on twitter" does not mean it is content for this website either.

TMC has a vigorous no politics policy that has been in place for a while, and TMC is not a website for discussing twitters policies, etc. We have let some of this go, but I am vigorously enforcing these rules in this thread now, in place of closing the thread (which is the next thing that will happen if people continue to bring "it happened on twitter so it goes here" stuff here.

Seems to me to be a protective way to build an echo chamber. Basically saying "I want this conversation to be rife with selection bias." Not exactly public town square material, but I can see where it's entertaining. Some reddit subs are like this - if you criticize whatever their thing is, you get banned by the moderators there.

It's Superfollower-only replies so it's more of a Patreon-style perk.

As long as it's clearly marked on the Tweet, no problem.

Also, depending on inheritance, it's possible that a retweet or reply could lead to parallel open discussions.

You're the big Twitter maven. How could this possibly elude you? It appeared on Twitter and started a global panic but the tweet had nothing to do with Bloomberg. It's strictly a Twitter problem!

"was shared by numerous verified accounts with blue check marks"

You'd think that a news organization would know by now that a blue check mark doesn't mean verified any more, especially one with what is the new verified check mark. The issue has been in the news a bit.

Reactions: TSLY
"was shared by numerous verified accounts with blue check marks"

You'd think that a news organization would know by now that a blue check mark doesn't mean verified any more, especially one with what is the new verified check mark. The issue has been in the news a bit.

The CNN author did know that, but the article seems to mention that as a possible part of the explanation for why the posts had such an impact in general.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the idea.

If a scientist puts out a tweet about a particular niche idea / new fact about climate change - and wants to have discussions with other scientists, whats the point of having a bunch of climate change deniers sh*t posting in the replies ? Something like this is all too common ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: advocate8
Status
Not open for further replies.