Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email not set up for the app on collection. Has this happened to anyone and how long to wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I collected my model 3 performance yesterday from Leeds.
Unfortunately the lease company didn't provide the correct email address and I was unable to have the app set up.
I updated the details with Tesla and they said it could take up to a week to update, and to just keep checking the app.

Has anyone else had this problem, and how long did it take to be activated.
Also, is there a number I could ring to get it done over the phone.

I'm very impatient, yes. However, the car is frozen this morning and I can't really be bothered to defrost the car all week. :)

If it’s plugged in overnight, you could setup “scheduled departure” to get it warm for when you leave in the morning

Haha. My hands would get cold.

Anyway, it's more than that really. It's like having a remote control car without the remote.
You can still drive it round with your hand and be happy, but once that remote arrives, its a completely different ball game.

6C177B6F-D059-45A8-8096-B646E5F0D087.jpeg

[New feature] Tesla Secheduled Departure

We hardly use remote for anything. It wakes up the car every time it’s opened. Only thing we use app for is keyless access but that’s just a lazy not bothering to get keycard out of pocket. Occasional pre condition, but if we were plugged in, we would probably schedule.

I would suggest TeslaFi, but of course you need access to your account.

Last edited:
Reactions: nikhon
We hardly use remote for anything. It wakes up the car every time it’s opened. Only thing we use app for is keyless access but that’s just a lazy not bothering to get keycard out of pocket.

I would suggest TeslaFi, but of course you need access to your account.

I'm finding that the key fob seems to be a good compromise. It still allows keyless entry, in the same way as a 'phone, but doesn't allow the walk away locking, which I find better, as I like to be absolutely sure the car is locked when I get out, and pressing the fob to lock the car and fold the mirrors seems more positive (I've heard tales of people walking away and finding their car hasn't locked, for example).

The fob also allows the frunk, boot and charge port to be opened, and is far easier to use to do that than either the app or getting in the car to do it.

The only thing that the fob doesn't do, which I'd very much like to see, is pre-heat/cool the car. I loved this feature on the fobs of the last two cars I've owned, and miss it on the Tesla. It's a lot more clunky to have to turn on the 'phone, wait for it to boot, then open the Tesla app and select climate than it would be to press a button on the fob (no point in leaving my 'phone on as it doesn't work at home - leaving it on just wastes power for no purpose). Be nice to see if Tesla could make the fob turn on cabin preconditioning, maybe with three clicks of the "roof" button. The fob has a long range, at least 30ft, so having this feature would make preconditioning really easy.

The only thing that the fob doesn't do, which I'd very much like to see, is pre-heat/cool the car. I loved this feature on the fobs of the last two cars I've owned, and miss it on the Tesla. It's a lot more clunky to have to turn on the 'phone, wait for it to boot, then open the Tesla app and select climate than it would be to press a button on the fob (no point in leaving my 'phone on as it doesn't work at home - leaving it on just wastes power for no purpose). Be nice to see if Tesla could make the fob turn on cabin preconditioning, maybe with three clicks of the "roof" button. The fob has a long range, at least 30ft, so having this feature would make preconditioning really easy.

What phone do you have? On iPhone there’s a widget you can enable which gives access to climate without having to fully open the phone. Just swipe the lock screen to the right

Last edited:
What phone do you have? On iPhone there’s a widget you can enable which gives access to climate without having to fully open the phone. Just swipe the lock screen to the right

We both have iPhones, but they are turned off for 99% of the time, as we don't get a signal here, so it seems pointless to have them sat wasting battery power trying to connect to a non-existent network every few minutes (also annoys me, as the speakers on my PC make a loud buzzing noise as the 'phone tries in vain to make a connection, using full transmit power as it can't detect a signal).

At the moment, the controls on the fob are:

- Single press on the "roof" locks the car

- Double press on the "roof", or proximity (keyless entry), unlocks the car

- Double press on the "frunk" opens it

- Double press on the "boot" opens it

- Press and hold on the "boot" opens the charge port

It seems that they could make a long press on the "roof" switch on preconditioning, I'd have thought. The car can understand single, multiple, or long presses, so my guess is that it might just be a software change to add additional functionality.

We both have iPhones, but they are turned off for 99% of the time, as we don't get a signal here, so it seems pointless to have them sat wasting battery power trying to connect to a non-existent network every few minutes (also annoys me, as the speakers on my PC make a loud buzzing noise as the 'phone tries in vain to make a connection, using full transmit power as it can't detect a signal).
If you put the phone into airplane mode and immediately switch WiFi and Bluetooth back on, it will remember that airplane mode just means “no 4G”, which makes it trivial to toggle 4G on or off while leaving everything else on. That would solve your problem of the phone pointlessly hunting for a signal all the time.

Reactions: MrBadger
If you put the phone into airplane mode and immediately switch WiFi and Bluetooth back on, it will remember that airplane mode just means “no 4G”, which makes it trivial to toggle 4G on or off while leaving everything else on. That would solve your problem of the phone pointlessly hunting for a signal all the time.

We'd still need to keep charging them up all the time, though. We go for weeks, maybe months, without ever looking at either of the 'phones, and only really have them for when we're away somewhere. Seems a bit daft to have to keep charging an unused 'phone every day just to be able to use the car, which is why I bought a fob.

4G is only a dream around here. Even if I drive up to the top of the hill behind us I can only just get a 2G signal, and even then it's not great!

At least someone read my post. Haha.

I did because I'm about to join you and would be interested to know how long it takes.
I collect on Friday and the car has been connected to the lease managers Tesla account, not mine.
Tesla say they can't change it until after delivery so I have to go and get it (which I wasn't confident I'd be able to but if you have, there's hope) and drive with the keycard for "a while" until they move the car to my account.

Interested to know how long it takes, and any tips from your experience, to get the car on your account.

Had exactly the issue, my lease company got .com and .co.uk the wrong way around on my email address.

It took about about a week for them to sort it, I chased every other day, sounded like a bit of an antiquated process that involved three tiers of support teams!

I collected my model 3 performance yesterday from Leeds.
Unfortunately the lease company didn't provide the correct email address and I was unable to have the app set up.
I updated the details with Tesla and they said it could take up to a week to update, and to just keep checking the app.

Also, is there a number I could ring to get it done over the phone.

I'm very impatient, yes. However, the car is frozen this morning and I can't really be bothered to defrost the car all week. :)

I sort of had this issue as well and had to get the car linked to my Tesla account after i collected it. I wouldnt wait for the lease company to sort it though.

I emailed [email protected] which was a bit slow to start with but it was back in August / Sept when it was really busy but once someone got back to I had it sorted in a day.

They asked for -
- New car registration papers
- Copy of the new owner driver’s license or ID
- New owner full address
- (Mobile) phone number
- Email address of his MyTesla account.

Being a lease I dont have the new car reg. so they wanted a copy of my lease agreement instead.

Reactions: Johnny5
I did because I'm about to join you and would be interested to know how long it takes.
I collect on Friday and the car has been connected to the lease managers Tesla account, not mine.
Tesla say they can't change it until after delivery so I have to go and get it (which I wasn't confident I'd be able to but if you have, there's hope) and drive with the keycard for "a while" until they move the car to my account.

Interested to know how long it takes, and any tips from your experience, to get the car on your account.

I called Tesla today and they said it can take up to 72 hours for it to be activated.
I gave them my reg and they could see the problem. I got a reference where they must have documented it and had to email [email protected] to request the update. Let's see how long it takes.