Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[EMEA] Shall wait for 4680 cell battery or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yo folks. I have placed an order for a MY here in Europe (Switzerland to be precise) and actually could even arrive next month. I asked the sales rep to block it until Q1 2022.
While running out of Youtube videos and forums, I learned that there is some likelihood that the MYs with the new battery pack will be delivered "Early 2022" but actually my gut feeling tells me mid-2022.

Now, most of the topics and discussions are "based" in US - where the waitlist is much longer.

Being this my very first Tesla, I am suffering a bit from range anxiety. The current MY comes with 500km range, which in my opinion is barely acceptable (500*0.7 = 350km, plus if we consider that we shouldn't let it run out completely = 300km usable). I am using 70% as I am considering the classic 80% and a further 10% for winter/sentry mode whatevs.

So I am actually considering to wait further to get "allegedly" higher range, but at the same time I am looking forward to having it in my garage.

Couple of questions though:
1. Since they claim that Berlin will be the first location where the 4680 cells will be produced, what likely is that Q1 2022 means receiving them being based in Europe?
2. Since I have already placed my order, what happens if the new version gets released? Will I be getting it at the same price?
3. How much of my range anxiety is groundless?

Thanks

Yo folks. I have placed an order for a MY here in Europe (Switzerland to be precise) and actually could even arrive next month. I asked the sales rep to block it until Q1 2022.
While running out of Youtube videos and forums, I learned that there is some likelihood that the MYs with the new battery pack will be delivered "Early 2022" but actually my gut feeling tells me mid-2022.

Now, most of the topics and discussions are "based" in US - where the waitlist is much longer.

Being this my very first Tesla, I am suffering a bit from range anxiety. The current MY comes with 500km range, which in my opinion is barely acceptable (500*0.7 = 350km, plus if we consider that we shouldn't let it run out completely = 300km usable). I am using 70% as I am considering the classic 80% and a further 10% for winter/sentry mode whatevs.

So I am actually considering to wait further to get "allegedly" higher range, but at the same time I am looking forward to having it in my garage.

Couple of questions though:
1. Since they claim that Berlin will be the first location where the 4680 cells will be produced, what likely is that Q1 2022 means receiving them being based in Europe?
2. Since I have already placed my order, what happens if the new version gets released? Will I be getting it at the same price?
3. How much of my range anxiety is groundless?

Thanks
Same dilemma here with Austin made MYP. Heck, our current Ys don't even have the newer interior door trim.

No idea how long they'll hold it for me, but I'd do a full 6 months if they let me.

Q422 or bust.
Q2 or Q3 imo (maybe Q1 but unlikely). I think the backlog in Model YLR deliveries directly reflects their expectation to be up and running at at least 50% by May/June for June/July deliveries. They said they're going to try producing production models en force in early Q1... so ramp up a few months later?

My only concern is they won't immediately begin MYP production in Austin... that they'll stick to just LR and make the MYPs in Freemont along with M3s.

Reactions: coleman567
Waiting for 4680s could be like waiting for the Roadster or Cybertruck.
Buy and enjoy now

There are several other threads on folks waiting for the 4680's, so I'll just comment on the range anxiety. I believe Tesla's plan with the 4680's is NOT to extend the range of the MY but to MAINTAIN the current range with an appropriate number of 4680's, and thus free up more battery supply. So, they will put enough 4680's in the MY to keep the range the same, but because the 4680's are more energy-dense, they can use fewer - thus freeing up more supply. So no 400+ mile range MY's (at least for now). In terms of range anxiety in general, I don't know about the charging infrastructure in Europe, but if you can charge at home, it shouldn't be an issue. For trips, you're a little lucky in that the CCS standard is used by Tesla in Europe, so you can pretty much charge at any SuperCharger as well as the other major DC fast chargers with no adapter. You can look at an app like PlugShare to get an idea of where the fast chargers are. I had a bit of anxiety before I got my MY in March, but in reality, between charging at home and the SC network, I've had zero issues charging on the road. I plan to buy the CCS adapter as soon as it's available, for a little extra flexibility. I always do a little planning before I road trip, but it's not a big deal.

Reactions: coleman567
There are several other threads on folks waiting for the 4680's, so I'll just comment on the range anxiety. I believe Tesla's plan with the 4680's is NOT to extend the range of the MY but to MAINTAIN the current range with an appropriate number of 4680's, and thus free up more battery supply. So, they will put enough 4680's in the MY to keep the range the same, but because the 4680's are more energy-dense, they can use fewer - thus freeing up more supply. So no 400+ mile range MY's (at least for now). In terms of range anxiety in general, I don't know about the charging infrastructure in Europe, but if you can charge at home, it shouldn't be an issue. For trips, you're a little lucky in that the CCS standard is used by Tesla in Europe, so you can pretty much charge at any SuperCharger as well as the other major DC fast chargers with no adapter. You can look at an app like PlugShare to get an idea of where the fast chargers are. I had a bit of anxiety before I got my MY in March, but in reality, between charging at home and the SC network, I've had zero issues charging on the road. I plan to buy the CCS adapter as soon as it's available, for a little extra flexibility. I always do a little planning before I road trip, but it's not a big deal.
Thanks