Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now REALLY a good time to buy a new Tesla? [Jan 2023 / April 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because the reality is that NO for-profit corporation or its shareholders want to leave money on the table.

This is exactly why Tesla raised the prices in 2021 & 2022 when the wait to buy a new Y increased to over a year. Because they could. Now that the tables have turned they are essentially forced to lower prices as the remaining inventory is starting to pile up after every quarter. Anybody pretending that Tesla wants to keep dropping the price of the Model Y is doing just that.. pretending. If it was possible to sell every Model Y for a starting price of $65,990 that's exactly what Tesla would be doing!
Or they kept increasing prices to throttle demand which was in excess of 11 Months which is a horrible strategy for planning, product improvement, and constant changes let alone flippers strangling the market. A back log is nice until its not.

Reactions: AJ..
Or they kept increasing prices to throttle demand which was in excess of 11 Months which is a horrible strategy for planning, product improvement, and constant changes let alone flippers strangling the market. A back log is nice until its not.

That horrible strategy also included selling upwards of a million EVs for incredibly overinflated prices.. in which the price literally dropped overnight by about $13,000 with absolutely no notice. Combined with the new $7,500 tax credit.. it means anybody who just purchased a Model Y in the 2022 calendar year.. had lost atleast 20% of the value of their car basically overnight.

I can promise you those million people who bought in 2022 will not forget that experience. Take a look at MOST of the used car threads on THIS forum. You see people getting shocked in real-time as their asking price for a vehicle is often several thousands higher than the current market value. I've seen some threads where people were tens of thousands above actual market value. They basically keep dropping the price.. and dropping the price.. and dropping the price. This guy has his 2023 Y for sale.. only 1,000 miles.. watch what happens: For Sale 2023 Model Y Dual Motor LR (NJ)

For the vast majority of shoppers.. it's probably the most expensive purchase they have ever made outside of their home. And now it means they are stuck with that negative equity on that vehicle for the next 3-4 years in most cases. Many dealers don't even want to bother with a Tesla trade-in going forward.. as they got seriously burnt on inventory too. This means the typical Tesla is now ONLY worth whatever the current auction prices are.. as local dealers don't want to bother trying to sell them at retail anymore. Even Tesla themselves only offered $21K for my two-year-old Model Y.

For those that didn't get the rug snatched from under them.. it still makes them wary of purchasing a new Tesla. Simply because with all the price cuts that have happened this year (I believe this is now the 6th price cut since December 2022).. it makes you more hesitant to purchase as you are scared that another price cut is going to happen sooner.. than later. Id imagine even those people who were celebrating the $20K cheaper price they scored in February.. also are not at all happy to see the price drop by another $3,000 this morning.

Thus far in 2023.. those who have waited to purchase have gotten seriously rewarded for their patience. Will be EXTREMELY interesting to see what the price of the Model 3 and Model Y will be around December.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ord3r
I find it odd that car buyers are seeing any commuter car as an investment that will retain its value. Very few ICE cars that are marketed for commuter cars retain value. They are disposable machines unless you are buying a limited production collector vehicle. Then it “might” retain value IF they stop producing a better, faster, more desirable model. However Tesla is not a limited production car made to hold its value. It is designed as a commuter without the ICE hassles of oil, filters, transmissions, and all the maintenance associated with the ICE. Buy a new Honda, Toyota or Tesla and they are all going to depreciate.

As for waiting for the next “new/better” feature. 🤣 If a person wants they could claim that from now on. There will always be something coming down the line that “seems” better or must have! But then when those features come along, will you be willing to pay the new price or buy the first year run of whatever model? There are probably more people waiting to buy the second generation of cyber truck than the first run….then they will want to wait until the price comes down or the truck flies or something. Always an excuse to wait, if you want to live that way.

That horrible strategy also included selling upwards of a million EVs for incredibly overinflated prices.. in which the price literally dropped overnight by about $13,000 with absolutely no notice. Combined with the new $7,500 tax credit.. it means anybody who just purchased a Model Y in the 2022 calendar year.. had lost atleast 20% of the value of their car basically overnight.

I can promise you those million people who bought in 2022 will not forget that experience. Take a look at MOST of the used car threads on THIS forum. You see people getting shocked in real-time as their asking price for a vehicle is often several thousands higher than the current market value. I've seen some threads where people were tens of thousands above actual market value. They basically keep dropping the price.. and dropping the price.. and dropping the price. This guy has his 2023 Y for sale.. only 1,000 miles.. watch what happens: For Sale 2023 Model Y Dual Motor LR (NJ)

For the vast majority of shoppers.. it's probably the most expensive purchase they have ever made outside of their home. And now it means they are stuck with that negative equity on that vehicle for the next 3-4 years in most cases. Many dealers don't even want to bother with a Tesla trade-in going forward.. as they got seriously burnt on inventory too. This means the typical Tesla is now ONLY worth whatever the current auction prices are.. as local dealers don't want to bother trying to sell them at retail anymore. Even Tesla themselves only offered $21K for my two-year-old Model Y.

For those that didn't get the rug snatched from under them.. it still makes them wary of purchasing a new Tesla. Simply because with all the price cuts that have happened this year (I believe this is now the 6th price cut since December 2022).. it makes you more hesitant to purchase as you are scared that another price cut is going to happen sooner.. than later. Id imagine even those people who were celebrating the $20K cheaper price they scored in February.. also are not at all happy to see the price drop by another $3,000 this morning.

Thus far in 2023.. those who have waited to purchase have gotten seriously rewarded for their patience. Will be EXTREMELY interesting to see what the price of the Model 3 and Model Y will be around December.
And yet with All you said it’s Proof that having a huge backlog is a horrible business plan!! Orders 12 months earlier were ordered based on short supply constraint pricing that Everyone seen from eggs to houses. Yes they made a crap ton of money continuously jacking up prices but many just kept buying because they viewed buying a Tesla as an appreciating investment which it is not and never should be! No car is. Then we have ANY change or rumored change and the line gets longer with fence sitters or many playing games with delivery. Buyers hate to wait, missing updates, and unknown price increases or decreases. They only way to throttle that is to kill the lead time with inventory in place and properly forecast material goods on demand. Then refer to the plan I referenced that Tesla outlined years ago to continue to increase volume and Continue to lower price. The transition is tough for some but far from a secret they shared long ago.

As for waiting for the next “new/better” feature. 🤣 If a person wants they could claim that from now on. There will always be something coming down the line that “seems” better or must have! But then when those features come along, will you be willing to pay the new price or buy the first year run of whatever model? There are probably more people waiting to buy the second generation of cyber truck than the first run….then they will want to wait until the price comes down or the truck flies or something. Always an excuse to wait, if you want to live that way.
While generically true, and you are welcome to just buy without regard for what's coming, some features are more significant than others. A MY with HW4+new sensor suite IS worth waiting for IMO versus an HW3 MY with old cameras, no USS and no radar. Furthermore, HW4 and higher res cameras began shipping on MS/X in March, so there's no chance it's vaporware - just a matter of when, and we have some insight into that. YMMV

• Informative
Reactions: Daekwan
But who is to say they don’t hold out that hardware/software from the 3/Y in order to get customers to go with the S/X models? There is always going to be something on the horizon. But at what point does the buyer say, this current product is better than anything I have ever personally had before and a price I am willing to purchase at. Sure they can put the latest hardware in the next gen car, but then is it going to increase the cost enough that I decide “now it is not a price I am willing to pay”. Basically IF we are discussing “what if’s”…..who is to say the HW4 MY goes back to 70k…..was it worth waiting for… if the cost to produce goes up, guess what!

But who is to say they don’t hold out that hardware/software from the 3/Y in order to get customers to go with the S/X models? There is always going to be something on the horizon. But at what point does the buyer say, this current product is better than anything I have ever personally had before and a price I am willing to purchase at. Sure they can put the latest hardware in the next gen car, but then is it going to increase the cost enough that I decide “now it is not a price I am willing to pay”. Basically IF we are discussing “what if’s”…..who is to say the HW4 MY goes back to 70k…..was it worth waiting for… if the cost to produce goes up, guess what!
Because people looking at $40-54K cars aren't cross shopping $85-105K cars. You really think anyone would seriously consider spending twice as much for a MS/X with HW4 over an M3/Y with HW3? BMW 3 series buyers rarely walk out with a BMW 7 series. And the prices of Tesla models will move somewhat in tandem - the MY isn't going to $70K while the MS/X prices stay where they are...

And all the online Tesla experts are predicting the Highland will have HW4. Name one bonafide expert who thinks otherwise?

Last edited:
We were considering an X. Chose not to mainly because of the gullwing doors. So yes some Tesla buyers are not always looking for the cheapest car available. Had the X been a regular 4 door design….we would have probably gone with the plaid. 🤣 We are likely not the typical Tesla customer but I think there are more Tesla customers for higher end cars than there are high end Honda buyers..🤷‍♂️

Because people looking at $40-54K cars aren't cross shopping $85-105K cars. You really think anyone would seriously consider spending twice as much for a MS/X with HW4 over an M3/Y with HW3? BMW 3 series buyers rarely walk out with a BMW 7 series. And the prices of Tesla models will move somewhat in tandem - the MY isn't going to $70K while the MS/X prices stay where they are...

And all the online Tesla experts are predicting the Highland will have HW4. Name one bonafide expert who thinks otherwise?
How does one define a Tesla Expert or bonafide expert? A rumor is nothing more than an assumption far from what I would classify as an expert fact. There is no actual fact proof that HW4 will be added to MY/M3 let alone that it will show any notable improvement other than it has a larger number associated to the part.

How does one define a Tesla Expert or bonafide expert? A rumor is nothing more than an assumption far from what I would classify as an expert fact. There is no actual fact proof that HW4 will be added to MY/M3 let alone that it will show any notable improvement other than it has a larger number associated to the part.
It's usually the fanboys that tag Elon in their twitter posts for the likes.

I'm on the fence right now... have an order for NJ and they may have screwed by not applying for the state $2000 credit back in January.. so NJ out of money as of April 18 but those who ordered in the 2 weeks before that can have paperwork submitted by Tesla and will get the credit... tesla FU...
Seems to be more FUs lately.. the guys rocket explodes, twit-ter is a mess... Can't get thru to anyone at Tesla without waiting on phone for 30 min & then they have an email address to do whatever...
Wondering about service after owning.. with the rapid sales pace, are they keeping up? or another backlog...?
And charging - with sharing stations and MORE Evs on the road, is that backlogged..?
And price cuts keep happening - ramping up volume as economy slows and interest rates rise - They ain't gonna slow production so they must cut price...
So why the F should I buy when no real need for it - just nice to have vs the ol' guzzler.. Can wait for July when NJ reinstates credit (maybe lower? beats me, but better than none, and customers should start holding Tesla to account for incompetence)

I'm on the fence right now... have an order for NJ and they may have screwed by not applying for the state $2000 credit back in January.. so NJ out of money as of April 18 but those who ordered in the 2 weeks before that can have paperwork submitted by Tesla and will get the credit... tesla FU...
Seems to be more FUs lately.. the guys rocket explodes, twit-ter is a mess... Can't get thru to anyone at Tesla without waiting on phone for 30 min & then they have an email address to do whatever...
Wondering about service after owning.. with the rapid sales pace, are they keeping up? or another backlog...?
And charging - with sharing stations and MORE Evs on the road, is that backlogged..?
And price cuts keep happening - ramping up volume as economy slows and interest rates rise - They ain't gonna slow production so they must cut price...
So why the F should I buy when no real need for it - just nice to have vs the ol' guzzler.. Can wait for July when NJ reinstates credit (maybe lower? beats me, but better than none, and customers should start holding Tesla to account for incompetence)
I’m not a fanboy but I can assure you this is a great car. There’s simply nothing on the road that can compete with the total experience when you take into consideration the performance, cost of operations, software platform, and charging network. Take a chance and buy the car. You won’t be disappointed!

The only advancement that I’m concerned with is battery technology; I have no faith in FSD. I actually placed an order today for a MYP. I currently have a Jan 21 build MYLR and want the improved suspension and the federal tax credit; so, I placed an order to take advantage of the price reduction. Maybe the financials are different for me because I already have a model Y and if Tesla actually follows through with these improvements my current vehicle could potentially lose value. But at any rate the numbers worked out in such a way that I felt it was a good call.

Thinking of doing the same TODAY! I have a 2021 MYLR (20" wheels) that I would be trading in. Are you trading yours to Tesla?

The offer I received from Tesla is between 36.5k and 40.5k. I'd do it if I got over 39k trade-in. Mine has home-link, acceleration boost, and brand new Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4's.

There's plenty of evidence indicating HW4 will be added and performance will improve significantly from many sources including Tesla. Just because you don't know it doesn't mean anything...

Thinking of doing the same TODAY! I have a 2021 MYLR (20" wheels) that I would be trading in. Are you trading yours to Tesla?

The offer I received from Tesla is between 36.5k and 40.5k. I'd do it if I got over 39k trade-in. Mine has home-link, acceleration boost, and brand new Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4's.
Why trade up from a 2021 MY? Curious why I see so many Tesla owners trading in a Tesla for another one.

We were considering an X. Chose not to mainly because of the gullwing doors. So yes some Tesla buyers are not always looking for the cheapest car available. Had the X been a regular 4 door design….we would have probably gone with the plaid. 🤣 We are likely not the typical Tesla customer but I think there are more Tesla customers for higher end cars than there are high end Honda buyers..🤷‍♂️
I wish the X did not have those doors. Not even sure how we would open them in our two car garage.

When I purchased my refresh Model S LR, I also cross shopped the Model 3, but for me however much more the Model S cost was worth it to me. Also tried they Y, but would prefer the X if not for the doors.

Reactions: carcrazyguy