Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Brake While Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to squirt some wiper fluid the other day, and accidentally clicked the PARK button on the right stalk instead of the left wiper/turn stalk. When I pressed the button the car started to engage the rear brakes, as if I was manually pulling up the ebake. I could hear it pulsating the brake, and I only did it for a second before realizing what was happening.

Has anyone seen this? Is this a feature? I did a search but couldnt find anything on forum or manual.

Can you go into more detail? So when you pressed the Park button on the right stalk, it only hit the rear brakes as long as you held the button? So as soon as you released the button it stopped?

I’m imagining lots of snow shenanigans if the above is true...
YES! It was like the ABS was kicking in and applying the rear brakes as long as the button was pressed. I didnt know if it would damage anything, or wear the brakes prematurely so I only did it for like a second or 2.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
This is normal. When you long-press the P button, it engages the emergency brake (which is the small parking brake on the rear wheels). It's basically the same has pulling the parking brake handle in traditional cars. The brake isn't strong, but it may help to stop the car if the regular brakes fail.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
YES! It was like the ABS was kicking in and applying the rear brakes as long as the button was pressed. I didnt know if it would damage anything, or wear the brakes prematurely so I only did it for like a second or 2.

Yeah I wouldn’t do it on a regular basis. In really low traction environments it would be fun (you likely wouldn’t hurt anything in the snow, for example). But good to know that feature exists!

Happened to me, too and freaked out my wife. Driving ~15mph, went to press the wiper button, accidentally tapped the park button, and the car engaged the brakes. Pretty weird. You'd think there would be some logic so you can't shift into park unless you are stopped.

Does anybody know at what speed it won't slam the brakes when you accidentally hit Park while driving? My wife is still saying she's horrified she'll be driving on the highway and accidentally press P when she meant to press the wiper button (since the auto wipers don't work very well).

Happened to me, too and freaked out my wife. Driving ~15mph, went to press the wiper button, accidentally tapped the park button, and the car engaged the brakes. Pretty weird. You'd think there would be some logic so you can't shift into park unless you are stopped.

Does anybody know at what speed it won't slam the brakes when you accidentally hit Park while driving? My wife is still saying she's horrified she'll be driving on the highway and accidentally press P when she meant to press the wiper button (since the auto wipers don't work very well).

From reading this thread it appears it will hit the brakes at any speed - as it should. It’s essentially a handbrake. If she’s ever in doubt, have her read the labels on the stalk before pressing anything.

I’d imagine this isn’t a common issue (not to discount your wife’s experience), but you’d think we’d read about an epidemic or something if it were...

It will always apply the brake when you press the button. That’s it’s function as an emergency brake.

Shifting to park while stopped engages the brake until you select drive or reverse. Pressing the park button while moving only temporarily engages the emergency brakes until you release the button.