Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New AutoPilot is horrible after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else refused to update? I know a few years ago there was a way to freeze your car and opt out of all future updates. Does Tesla still do that if you ask?

Before the update hit I capped the car at 1kbps via my router, so when parked at home it will not be able to download the update - so far this is working, but I'm concerned they might try to push it over LTE sometime when I'm out.
Still holding onto 2023.44.1 and have no plans on upgrading. I also ordered the TSL6 anti-nag chip (the CANBUS based one) to get rid of most of the nag prompts, we'll see how well that works...

Has anyone else refused to update? I know a few years ago there was a way to freeze your car and opt out of all future updates. Does Tesla still do that if you ask?

Before the update hit I capped the car at 1kbps via my router, so when parked at home it will not be able to download the update - so far this is working, but I'm concerned they might try to push it over LTE sometime when I'm out.
Nope never heard of such a request.

There are a few cases where people swear they got forced updated, but not with strong evidence (could easily have been accidental click that scheduled one or a spouse or second user doing that).

As far as I can see, even if an update downloads over LTE (which HAS been reported to happen) as long as you (and anyone using your car or the app) are diligent about closing out the window that asks you to schedule an update, it will never install by itself. This is because the car can be down for 30 minutes or longer, so no way Tesla installs without your permission.

I did this for months keeping the non-Vision version well after recalls came out and there was no issue doing that. I only gave in because there was a bug where the app no longer could wake up the car for the non-Vision version.

As far as I can see, even if an update downloads over LTE (which HAS been reported to happen) as long as you (and anyone using your car or the app) are diligent about closing out the window that asks you to schedule an update, it will never install by itself. This is because the car can be down for 30 minutes or longer, so no way Tesla installs without your permission.
Another (good) thing to keep in mind is that even if the download was forced, you can go into the service menu and reinstall the currently installed software version to get rid of the downloaded update files.

I had to do this when my car connected to WiFi at a supercharger off the NJ Turnpike and downloaded the update without warning. After downloading, I was presented with an annoying "schedule installation" popup every time I put the car in park.

After reinstalling the currently installed version, 2023.44.1, the downloaded files went away and now I only get the annoying "benefits of connecting to WiFi" popup once per week. I now know to manually shut off the WiFi anytime I plan on going to a Supercharger.

Reactions: CCopperpot
After 2016 AP1 fatal collision, NTSB advised Tesla to solve the problem of driver's inattention.

At last, it now has arrived after 7 years.

That's how Tesla is designed: hands-on system but too many drivers don't honor that for the past 7 years.

If you want hands-off system, you need to switch brands that designed that in the first place.

Since you drive mostly on highways, hands-off system like 2017 GM SuperCruise, recent Ford BlueCruise... that should suit your needs.
I have a different take on this. I have used AP strictly as a backup in case I miss something since I bought my model S in 2017. I have no problem with Tesla ensuring I am actively engaged, but the implementation is simplistic and amateurish. The last change has required I pay even more attention to the screen than ever, which means I am less "available" to be an engaged driver. When my eyes are watching the road, the visual indications are not "on my radar". To exacerbate the issue, my height puts me at a place where the steering wheel blocks the lower portion of the left screen making it harder to see the visual warning. The only time I get the warning is during times when I am on a straight section of road, and I don't actively move the wheel when within the center of the lane. I never get the warning when I'm driving on curvy sections of the road - I assume this is because my movements won't be exactly the same as the car's AP.

There are a number of better ways they could verify the driver is engaged.

There are a few cases where people swear they got forced updated, but not with strong evidence (could easily have been accidental click that scheduled one or a spouse or second user doing that).

I'm one of those people. The first was the first update (it literally happened a day after we got the car.) And at least once but we both think twice we've arrived at the car and the screen has told us that there are new features. We note these times because it is friggin annoying to have to decide whether or not to read all the update notes and understand what's new when what we really wanted to do is get in the car and go somewhere. Especially since I don't build extra time into our arrivals at places just in case the car was updated (or needs rebooting because the screen won't wake up.)

I'm still waiting to be LTE updated with the two latest recalls. In my waiting time I've been offered to download and had the offers pulled for 3 different different times. So was offered 2023-44.30.2 44.30.5.1, 44.30.8 and now 44.30.14 is waiting to download. That one includes both the recalls.

Given it has been almost 3 months since the first recall, I'm suspecting that with the number of Model Y's on the road these days, Tesla will no longer be pushing out updates via LTE. I have premium connectivity so there's really no excuse for them not to, but you'd think the first would have arrive by now if they had any intention of meeting the recall that way.

For ICE vehicles, one doesn't have to go in to get the recall work done in order to keep using the vehicle, so at least in that way, I'm not being punished for having a connected EV. I bet eventually NHTSA will come up with a new directive that will require OTA recalls to be pushed.

Of course, I will be updated when I take my car in for warranty work (planned soon as I run out of warranty shortly and the inspection I had done identified some issues that should be addressed under warranty.

At this point, I don't care if I'm pushed 44.30.14 because it appears to be pretty stable. I just reread the update notes the other night while sitting in the car to confirm there's nothing we really want that we are missing out on, I'm not about to spite myself just to prove a point. Actually, I prefer the tesla icons to the 'proper' ones. But since the auto wiper issues aren't resolved with this version (or any other for that matter) we are happy to continue holding out just to see if the LTE push would happen and my husband has been read the riot act that if he sees any indication that software is there to install NOT press any buttons until we both decide the update is voluntary to install (which we swear the others were not.)

I'm one of those people. The first was the first update (it literally happened a day after we got the car.) And at least once but we both think twice we've arrived at the car and the screen has told us that there are new features. We note these times because it is friggin annoying to have to decide whether or not to read all the update notes and understand what's new when what we really wanted to do is get in the car and go somewhere. Especially since I don't build extra time into our arrivals at places just in case the car was updated (or needs rebooting because the screen won't wake up.)
Weren't you the one who had the false alarm where you thought you got updated when you didn't? As for when you first got the car, I wouldn't put it beyond it being a delivery update, for example a delivery center installing it or scheduling an install at delivery and release notes showing up later. Basically manufacturers are not supposed to deliver cars with pending recalls unfixed, so I can see them doing updates on delivery.

And when you have a shared vehicle, it's easy for the other user to unknowingly click the schedule button (and not the close button) to dismiss it on the car screen or to click the button in the app. I had to tell my other users explicitly how to avoid doing that because it's not intuitively obvious (I think they deliberately designed it that way to not have a button on the dialog in text that says not to schedule one to make it seem like you have no choice).
I'm still waiting to be LTE updated with the two latest recalls. In my waiting time I've been offered to download and had the offers pulled for 3 different different times. So was offered 2023-44.30.2 44.30.5.1, 44.30.8 and now 44.30.14 is waiting to download. That one includes both the recalls.

Given it has been almost 3 months since the first recall, I'm suspecting that with the number of Model Y's on the road these days, Tesla will no longer be pushing out updates via LTE. I have premium connectivity so there's really no excuse for them not to, but you'd think the first would have arrive by now if they had any intention of meeting the recall that way.

For ICE vehicles, one doesn't have to go in to get the recall work done in order to keep using the vehicle, so at least in that way, I'm not being punished for having a connected EV. I bet eventually NHTSA will come up with a new directive that will require OTA recalls to be pushed.

Of course, I will be updated when I take my car in for warranty work (planned soon as I run out of warranty shortly and the inspection I had done identified some issues that should be addressed under warranty.

At this point, I don't care if I'm pushed 44.30.14 because it appears to be pretty stable. I just reread the update notes the other night while sitting in the car to confirm there's nothing we really want that we are missing out on, I'm not about to spite myself just to prove a point. Actually, I prefer the tesla icons to the 'proper' ones. But since the auto wiper issues aren't resolved with this version (or any other for that matter) we are happy to continue holding out just to see if the LTE push would happen and my husband has been read the riot act that if he sees any indication that software is there to install NOT press any buttons until we both decide the update is voluntary to install (which we swear the others were not.)

I had a similar thing happen. After they pulled 44.30.14 (from memory I was offered 44.30.8 also and pulled), I was surprisingly able to download 2023.38.9.1, the pre-recall December update, which was exactly the one I wanted that had the features I wanted (mainly for the larger font because the navigation exit font is way too tiny).

I was avoiding being a guinea pig for the recall update (given multiple initial bugs reported and probably why it was pulled multiple times), though it seems as you pointed out, they worked out most of the bugs already. I will probably continue holding out just to see how long I can continue to do so (similar to avoiding the Vision update previously).

Weren't you the one who had the false alarm where you thought you got updated when you didn't?
Yup. Teslafi dealt with the recalled recall updates by listing the updates as three lines in the Software Update Feed: New, Waiting for WiFi to Download, Installed. When I first noted that in my update history, I thought I had had it installed by LTE without any action on our part. I had not noticed I was still showing my existing software version.

Teslafi's programming assumed any update offered must have been installed in order to clear it from the Software Update Feed so that's why it reported the update had been installed. We now know that tesla can remove updates from the feed as well.

I received my TSL6 module in the mail today, here are my thoughts:

• Took about 2 weeks to arrive from China (not bad)
  • Arrived in a box with just the module (safely packaged) and the trim tool. No instructions in box.
  • Installation was as easy as the video on the EVOOOR website shows it to be...installs in the CANBUS port under rear vents
  • Turning it on/off via double clicking the scroll wheel is the manual option
    • It will automatically turn ON when you enable autopilot and will only turn OFF if you disengage autopilot via the stalk
    • If you disengage autopilot via the brake pedal or turning the steering wheel, the module will remain on. You will then need to double click the left scroll wheel to turn the module OFF.
    • According to EVOOOR, the module will automatically turn off when your car goes into sleep mode if you forget to manually turn it off
  • I'm running 2023.44.1 and keep my camera cover open
    • I find this to be a good balance between convenience (no hands on wheel nags) and safety (nags if not paying attention to road for too long)
    • If you are running a software version with the post recall (gimped) autopilot, you might want to cover your cabin camera when using this module to avoid receiving strikes
  • It works well on stretches of road without interruptions (traffic lights, stop signs, etc)
    • I use it on back roads and freeways, but NOT city streets
  • There is no audible impact to speaker volume when listening to music and using the module simultaneously
  • $150 feels steep for what this is but it is the only option on the market for those that don't want to mess with removing airbags and steering wheels
Copying my post from another thread. This is my solution to the autopilot "problem".

Reactions: CCopperpot
After 2016 AP1 fatal collision, NTSB advised Tesla to solve the problem of driver's inattention.

At last, it now has arrived after 7 years.

That's how Tesla is designed: hands-on system but too many drivers don't honor that for the past 7 years.

If you want hands-off system, you need to switch brands that designed that in the first place.

Since you drive mostly on highways, hands-off system like 2017 GM SuperCruise, recent Ford BlueCruise... that should suit your needs.

yes that's what I will do. switch brands. because AP has indeed become worse since 2018 along with terrible wipers etc. And they removing stalks was just the straw that broke the camel's back.
I don't care if they manage to get FSD working anymore either.

Guys, has anyone noticed improvements in the autopilot nag with the latest firmware?

I'm on version 2024.8.4 and observed that I can use autopilot without a cheating device.

Previously, my experience (which might be an EU thing) was that merely resting my hand on the wheel wasn't enough; I had to apply quite a significant downward pressure or keep jiggling the wheel every 10-15 seconds. Sometimes, I would get banned for not jiggling soon enough or strongly enough.

Therefore, I used a cheating device along with keeping my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road.

Today, after update, I managed to drive on autopilot without the cheating device - just one hand on the wheel (applying very slight pressure) and my eyes on the road. I was prompted to jiggle only twice, and it didn't require to jiggle so strong that car wobbles.

I'm wondering if there has been an improvement in the latest firmware, or is it just my perception?

• Informative
Reactions: adsheff
I have been using Tesla Basic AP since 2018.

Updated the car yesterday.

First drive was my usual 40 mile drive I’ve made with AP for 6 years.

Immediately I notice the AP nag is more often and turns red way faster.

I drive 70-80 mph , 90% highway.

After getting way more bags than I’ve ever seen since 2018, AP finally shutdown and said no more AP available for rest of drive.

I find this absolutely ridiculous.

I drive in FastTrack HOV lanes 90% of time on highway.

Were my hands off the steering wheel for more than 5-15 seconds ? Yes

Was I looking down at my phone occasionally sending a text? Yes a few times.

And I would bet that 90% of Tesla AP drivers do the above , so it’s not out of the ordinary.

Several times, when I saw the flashing blue nag, I reached for steering wheel, but twice I was 1-2 seconds too late, causing RED flashing - which is VERY rare for me prior to update. I never let it go in the RED flashing state 99% of my drives.

2 times, I was going around a curve at 80 mph and I got the nag - I applied gentle torque bc I was in the apex of a turn, not wanting to crash, I was slow and gentle with my hands on the wheel —- result? I got AP flashing red and it disengaged for rest of drive

Wtf ? AP is the reason I purchased a Tesla.
I hope you don’t live in the Phoenix area. If so I will plan to drive less. But thanks for the laugh🤣

Reactions: legendsk
Is this only for 3/Y or do they have it for S/X as well?
The CANBUS module only works on the 3/Y but they also sell the TSL1/TSL2 modules (compatible with the S/X) that connect behind the scroll wheel inside the steering wheel. The only issue with the TSL1/2 modules is they require airbag and steering wheel removal, which most including myself aren't comfortable with!

Reactions: Nosken
The CANBUS module only works on the 3/Y but they also sell the TSL1/TSL2 modules (compatible with the S/X) that connect behind the scroll wheel inside the steering wheel. The only issue with the TSL1/2 modules is they require airbag and steering wheel removal, which most including myself aren't comfortable with!
Just to be clear. Airbag removal and replacement. It is an interesting solution. For the inside the steering wheel version! I read that it may only work for 10 minutes, then would need to be power cycled, off then on, clicking the scroll wheel. To work, it emulates the roll of the scroll wheel to defeat the nag.