Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ending a Tesla Lease early

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And house prices not being 11 times the median wage.
Which happened because interest rates were so low. After the last crash the global governments decided to try dropping rates instead of the traditional raiding of them as in past busts. Presumably to keep the impetus if consumerism. All that achieved was financial strength to China and folk over extending themselves further.
House prices are a classic 'only worth what people will pay' commodity...make it easy to borrow money and folk spend what they ain't got.

again, you cannot compare old mortgage rates to new ones because of value impact

Yes you can! 1+1=2

If the value isn't there, then you have to get no house or a smaller one.

You seem to think that every house costs exactly the same. It really doesn't matter if the current value is 10x salary vs 2x salary. The price that you pay comes out of your paycheck exactly the same way.

Oh, and I dare say that house sizes have increased significantly as well.

It's not apples to apples but it is still pounds to pounds from your paycheck. You are trying to keep up with the Joneses (actually one-up them) and you just can't afford to do so.

AND ABSOLUTELY MOST IMPORTANTLY. This is a Tesla forum. You are here because you either have or are anticipating buying one. Don't come complaining that houses cost too much when you are about to throw away money that you don't have to. Every pound that goes into a home, generally appreciates. Every pound that you throw into a new car generally gets cut in half.

The 50,000 pounds that you put into a Tesla could be 15,000 pounds in a used car and 25,000 in a new home and 10,000 into a savings account.

A Tesla is a discretionary spend, period.

ffs. you cannot.

You talk about "oooh, look, we had 6% mortgage". Yes, you did. When bought house in early 90s. fair enough.

but at current house pricing (show me the bloody house for 60k you paid, now? - there are no houses priced even under 100k (in my area smallest semi starts at 200k)), the 6% mortgage is = to 15% mortgage at 90s you had. Did you ever had to prepare yourself (or afford) 15% morgage?

1687527652812.png
1687527770020.png

I wish to hear your "yes you can compare" when you never ever had to deal with 15% mortgage.

Just to be clear - I have no issues with the interest rate hike or repayments for my car (knock knock) but there MIGHT be people who face issues like OP. People are buying expensive houses because that's the pricing at the moment - the reality. What other options people have? Either rent to the end of their lives (and I guarantee - rents will increase following interest rate hike because landlords have to pay mortgages as well) or buy own. Move away to some god's forsaken area? away from their jobs, family, etc? if you live is GA, - and homes are expensive there - do you move to, i do not know, Montana, just because?

you coming here to educate people on the things which you have no clue about is useless activity.

Last edited:
Yes you can! 1+1=2

If the value isn't there, then you have to get no house or a smaller one.

You seem to think that every house costs exactly the same. It really doesn't matter if the current value is 10x salary vs 2x salary. The price that you pay comes out of your paycheck exactly the same way.

Oh, and I dare say that house sizes have increased significantly as well.

It's not apples to apples but it is still pounds to pounds from your paycheck. You are trying to keep up with the Joneses (actually one-up them) and you just can't afford to do so.

AND ABSOLUTELY MOST IMPORTANTLY. This is a Tesla forum. You are here because you either have or are anticipating buying one. Don't come complaining that houses cost too much when you are about to throw away money that you don't have to. Every pound that goes into a home, generally appreciates. Every pound that you throw into a new car generally gets cut in half.

The 50,000 pounds that you put into a Tesla could be 15,000 pounds in a used car and 25,000 in a new home and 10,000 into a savings account.

A Tesla is a discretionary spend, period.
Once again talking nonsense from 4000 miles away,

1687528064996.png

1687528423435.png

Really take a seat, you have nothing to offer in this conversation.

Last edited:
Listened to a podcast this week with an economist from the London School of Economics. He brought up this point. He said the cost of living now is high, and he acknowledged a lot of people are feeling pain. But he went on to say that whilst you cannot compare apples and oranges, the cost of living in the late 80s and late 2000s was still higher than the cost of living today when they flatten everything out to perform a comparison. The podcast also went on to discuss mentality differences. In the 80s, people were prepared to make sacrifices to get the house they wanted. Delayed gratification was normal, like saving months for a car/stereo/holiday. Now society wants instant gratification. New cars, the latest technology, holidays, etc. And the expectations are higher. A new car, not a 15-year-old runaround. A holiday in Bali, not Benidorm. Moreover, all are available through various forms of financing that just was not available in the 80s. The combination of multiple loans, leases, subscriptions, payment agreements, etc, has led to many people overstretching themselves.

The economist also raised the normalisation of interest rates. Interest rates fell to historically low levels at the time of the GFC in 2008. That was 15 years ago! So someone in their mid-late 20s in the late 2000s buying their first home is now in their early-to-mid 40s, and all they have ever known is near-zero interest rates. Without wanting to sound patronising they have not had the interest rate rollercoaster that those of us a few years older have. The rollercoaster of seeing mortgage payments rise and fall builds a level of fear and 'headroom' into our monthly budgets to cater for the peaks. Anyone younger than 40 hasn't really experienced this.

Some will lay the blame squarely on the individual. Whilst everyone has to manage their own finances and should keep a budget with a 'what if' planner, I think a lot has to do with all the costs that have crept into 21st-century life. Streaming services, mobile phones, multiple computers, app subscription models, I could go on. You can say to people give them up as they are all discretionary spend, but they are now so ingrained into modern life, that it's hard to do that.

The bottom line is that the cost of living is not higher now than it has been in the past, but the factors making up the cost of living are different too. We're still fortunate to have extraordinarily low unemployment at ~2.9% compared with 7% in 1989. If that changes, things are going to feel very bleak indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.