Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy limit from solar sending back to PGE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if that is the case for someone, how would they get a ROI on a Powerwall, other than justifying the value of back up or of WAF?
My case may be different, because my load shedding during peak was enabled by my Outback Skybox which along with my EVs gave me plenty of ability to shift loads to the super off peak rates. That would be the same use case as a Powerwall. My case was also different than just adding a Powerwall because I was able to add more solar beyond that allowed by my PTO and self consume some of that power so it did not trip up my PTO limit on selling.
In my case, no roi for batteries, or my generator. Now if I had an EV, I would think differently. Or even on ev2a, I might change stuff. I just keep wondering if folks have thought about all the stuff, pro and cons, roi, costs, etc. before they buy batteries? The ones I talk with did not. They have no idea about any of the details.

The ones I talk with did not. They have no idea about any of the details.
Perhaps your sample size is too small or skewed by some unknown selection factor. That view is not representative of the typical Powerwall purchaser. I belong to a number of forums and this one typically is populated by people with fairly good critical thinking skills and most people here have a pretty good idea about the details.
I belong to another forum where most of the participants are off grid, using lead acid batteries, diesel generators and drive pick up trucks. That group has no idea about TOU rates.
Then there is a recent discussion on NextDoor where everyone is complaining about their PG&E bill tripling but they can't read their bill detail to even explain if their Therms consumption went up or their kWh consumption went up.

As I often say, it all depends on where you are standing. My PG&E bill quadrupled but it is clearly because I consumed six times as many Therms as in the prior month. Long term my plan is to convert to a heat pump and eliminate that winter Therm consumption.

Last edited:
In my case, no roi for batteries, or my generator. Now if I had an EV, I would think differently. Or even on ev2a, I might change stuff. I just keep wondering if folks have thought about all the stuff, pro and cons, roi, costs, etc. before they buy batteries? The ones I talk with did not. They have no idea about any of the details.

here, I'm going to do this for your again. Here is month to month comparison of my Solar Only and then adding PWs. Do you see the difference? Over $1000 savings because of PWs and that's not yet a full year

upload_2020-12-26_16-17-59.png

here, I'm going to do this for your again. Here is month to month comparison of my Solar Only and then adding PWs. Do you see the difference? Over $1000 savings because of PWs and that's not yet a full year

View attachment 621318

i have analyzed PW and non-PW scenarios across EV-A, EV2-A and E-TOU-C (with my own real consumption and production data) and by far EV-A is the most advantageous to me with powerwalls. EV2-A is next and E-TOU-C is last. in the case with no powerwalls, E-TOU-C is the best plan.

i think this is consistent with your spreadsheet since IIRC upthread you were saying you are on EV (or EV2). bottom line is the big deltas between peak and shoulder (or off-peak) with the EV plans really help a lot in lowering the overall bill when you're able to load-shift.

Reactions: Ampster
i have analyzed PW and non-PW scenarios across EV-A, EV2-A and E-TOU-C (with my own real consumption and production data) and by far EV-A is the most advantageous to me with powerwalls. EV2-A is next and E-TOU-C is last. in the case with no powerwalls, E-TOU-C is the best plan.

i think this is consistent with your spreadsheet since IIRC upthread you were saying you are on EV (or EV2). bottom line is the big deltas between peak and shoulder (or off-peak) with the EV plans really help a lot in lowering the overall bill when you're able to load-shift.

Still on EV1

Yep, makes sense. But, what is the ROI compared for each option. Is it worth the hassle of dealing with all the stuff? If one has an EV car , I fully get it. But for the folks buying batteries WITHOUT an EV car, how does it make sense? Without batteries, my true up will be zero, with 99.9% of my energy cost. Meaning, many seem to not have heat pumps for heating so the need to add their gas or propane costs to their total yearly energy use. If one afford to buy and EV, one can afford to upgrade to heat pumps.

In my case, if I want to do this game, I would have buy by the temp control hw for each of my mini split heads. Lets see, 500 bucks each time 10, so another 5K out of pocket.

I just continue to try and ask why, when I see posts that say they "save" all this money, but never talk about ALL the things involved. But, I understand, when one spends all the money, no one is going to say but maybe I should not have. Well, I am willing to say maybe I should not have spent 17K for a whole house generator since zero ROI and added another set of things for me to deal with. :)

Yep, makes sense. But, what is the ROI compared for each option. Is it worth the hassle of dealing with all the stuff? If one has an EV car , I fully get it. But for the folks buying batteries WITHOUT an EV car, how does it make sense? Without batteries, my true up will be zero, with 99.9% of my energy cost. Meaning, many seem to not have heat pumps for heating so the need to add their gas or propane costs to their total yearly energy use. If one afford to buy and EV, one can afford to upgrade to heat pumps.

In my case, if I want to do this game, I would have buy by the temp control hw for each of my mini split heads. Lets see, 500 bucks each time 10, so another 5K out of pocket.

I just continue to try and ask why, when I see posts that say they "save" all this money, but never talk about ALL the things involved. But, I understand, when one spends all the money, no one is going to say but maybe I should not have. Well, I am willing to say maybe I should not have spent 17K for a whole house generator since zero ROI and added another set of things for me to deal with. :)

An EV makes no difference for a PW. EVs charge from the grid at night at Off Peak rate. Did you look at my spreadsheet and see the impact?
If you got PWs, you could set your house at normal temps in the summer and winter and still get a zero true-up

An EV makes no difference for a PW. EVs charge from the grid at night at Off Peak rate. Did you look at my spreadsheet and see the impact?
If you got PWs, you could set your house at normal temps in the summer and winter and still get a zero true-up
So, what are "normal" temps? My upstairs is now 68, with a setting of 64. I expect to keep the summer 76. All of this with no PW's
or huge extra costs, or anything to worry about when I use and I expect a zero true up. I fully understand you spent the money and will die on the hill defending. Great, I think what each of us does with our money is great. I believe if I get the batteries, I logically will never say it was smart!! Just the amount of money I may need to pay in taxes makes them not free and no ROI, IMO, for me.

So, whats better, a ford or chevy? :)

yes it seems extremely unlikely you'll see this if you have the proper size recorded.

As to getting it fixed, I don't know yet. I contacted PG&E months ago and one response was that was the installers problem. I believe I asked if if I could correct it and haven't heard anything. I also emailed Tesla around the same time and have gotten nothing. I might try them again since they responded to a more recent email. I also have a solar order with Tesla that will add to my total solar so that might fix things. Long story short, still not fixed.
I wonder how one checks that PGE had the proper size recorded?