Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engine vs. Motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously, why do people go to such great lengths to consistently hijack threads with the "That aint no engine! Its a MOTOR!" .. WE GET IT. Jeez. If you did a search for how many times people took the time to correct/complain about it, I would guess it would be in the thousands...!

Going strictly by the definition, I would have to say that you can call an electric motor an engine. However, I would also say that doing so is against typical convention, and that the definition may evolve over time to preclude motors that use electricity as the source of energy. A similar argument often pops up for the X falcon wing doors when someone calls them gullwing, which I was going to comment on, but we'll save that for another thread. :)

Who cares, engine or motor, we all know what the person meant. Like when someone calls an SUV a truck, who cares

SUVs are most accurately referred to as trucks, as they're typically built on truck platforms (body on frame). CUVs are cars, because they're built on car platforms.

Definitions matter, or at least in some lines of work like engineering, law, and medicine. I'm curious, what line of work do you do where they don't matter?

An engine changes the chemical composition of its fuel to the mechanical energy, and the electric motor does not. The only chemical reaction is in the battery, but the electricity that drives the electric motor does not change at all. But the fuel mixture that goes into the engine and combusts does.

Can the combination of the battery pack, inverters and the motor be considered an "engine", since a transformation from chemical to electrical to rotation is happening?

Can the combination of the battery pack, inverters and the motor be considered an "engine", since a transformation from chemical to electrical to rotation is happening?

I particularly like this definition, as it captures the specific notion that I find distinguishes engines from motors:

engine
/ˈɛndʒɪn/
noun
1. any machine designed to convert energy, esp heat energy, into mechanical work: a steam engine, a petrol engine

Engines convert heat energy into motion, where as motors convert electrical energy into motion.

SUVs are most accurately referred to as trucks, as they're typically built on truck platforms (body on frame). CUVs are cars, because they're built on car platforms.

Definitions matter, or at least in some lines of work like engineering, law, and medicine. I'm curious, what line of work do you do where they don't matter?

thats the second time you've asked what line of work im in, and the second time I'll state I am not currently hiring for any positions I'd wish you to fill.

Last time I check forum posts and commenting here has nothing to do with any type of job or career so what does it even matter.

thats the second time you've asked what line of work im in, and the second time I'll state I am not currently hiring for any positions I'd wish you to fill.

Last time I check forum posts and commenting here has nothing to do with any type of job or career so what does it even matter.

It's simply a matter of trying to understand your perspective and world view. My engineer brain has a hard time understanding how someone could be so dismissive of accurate definitions, for example. I'm curious in what line of work that doesn't matter.

It's simply a matter of trying to understand your perspective and world view. My engineer brain has a hard time understanding how someone could be so dismissive of accurate definitions, for example. I'm curious in what line of work that doesn't matter.

Politician. Indeed, they routinely make up new definitions for simple words all the time.

And, per US government classifications, SUVs, vans, minivans, pickups w/GVWR and some vehicles that look like cars (e.g. Chrysler PT Cruiser and many Subarus) all w/GVWR of 8500 lbs or below are all classified as "light trucks".

Got to love the play on the Volt at the end of the commercial!

I love these American (or British) commercials where one company takes a little stab ab their competition.
Unfortunately that kind of advertising is not allowed over here.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes people would rather pretend that words don't have meaning than change their position, or maybe they just like to argue.

In the case of the mentioned poster I would think the latter ;-)

Even though I also think this thread should get back on track, I also agree that accurate definitions do indeed matter. Not that I would be interested to know in what kind of line of work that poster is in though.