Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Anti-Theft System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Updated 04/25/2021: Tesla released the optional "Enhanced Anti-Theft System" (EATS) in late 2018 for Models S and X in the U.S. (and Canada?). For $350 (US) owners received car-tilt and in-cabin motion detection (in addition to standard locked door/trunk security) to combat an (at that time) notable increase in Tesla car thefts. To get these enhanced security features in the U.S. you had to buy the optional system (or a used car that already had it installed). In Europe, applicable Tesla cars from a certain date onward automatically came with the enhanced security package. I believe.

If you have installed or are interested in the EATS :
  1. Check this out -- "Anti-Theft System" Labels, and

2. Be aware that perhaps for some cars the EATS has been physically installed but may not be functioning.
To tell whether EATS has been previously installed, for example in a used car:
  1. Look for a "Tilt / Intrusion" on/off slider setting in the lower half of the "Safety & Security" touch screen
    Software Enhancement.jpeg Tilt-Intrusion Setting #2.jpg Its presence, I believe, should prove that (a) the EATS has been installed and (b) it is probably working properly.

...Or

2. Look for two sensors in updated interior ceiling assemblies, either just above the rear-view mirror (Model S) or in an upgraded ceiling light (Model X).
    Model S Optional Sensor Assembly - 2.jpg Model S Optional Sensor Assembly.jpg

image1.jpg Enhanced Dome Light - assembled.jpeg The sensors are an indication of EATS installation, yes. But note that their presence does not guarantee that the EATS is functional.
Assuming that the enhanced system has been physically installed in your car, to tell whether it is actually working:
  1. Check for the "Tilt / Intrusion" On/Off slider control setting. As stated above, if it is there your installed system is probably OK. But if you have the EATS installed, with no "Tilt / Intrusion" control, your Enhanced Anti-Theft System may not be functioning at all. (Mine isn't.)

2. Another (somewhat drastic) test (suggested on TMC by YouTube's "Tesla Guy," a Model S driver), best performed away from people, is with all security settings armed to (a) open a window and exit the car, (b) remove the key-fob away from the vicinity of the car (or put it in a Faraday box) until your car locks down), then (c) without physically touching anything stick your arm through the open window inside the cabin and move it around near the overhead EATS sensors. If the EATS is functioning, the security alarm will quickly make a godawful racket until you can retrieve the key-fob. (Mine does not.)
In retrospect, it would be relatively easy to have the enhanced system installed but to not know it was off-line. Few people probably test the system, except by accident. As it happens, two otherwise unrelated TMC members (another person and myself) independently have followup mobile service appointments this week to try to get our respective EATS working properly. We'll report back with any conclusive findings. Right now, we suspect that the problem is software related. We both have Model X cars. We'd be interested to hear from any Model S owners with this same problem. (I have a working theory, unconfirmed, that this is mostly affecting Model X vehicles.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DerbyDave
I was able to test my June 2020 build S. It does not have the Tilt/Intrusion setting that the manual and Tesla FAQs state it should have, as every S and X since the X was introduced, and maybe earlier, should have the Enhanced Security System. The alarm does not go off when I wave my hands inside the car when armed, but it does go off if I open the locked and armed door from inside thru the open window. I hope that is the last time the alarm goes off. I am still shaking. There seems to be a problem in the software for this feature to not be available.

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ohmster and tps5352
Thanks for the info. I've considered it for our upcoming X, but was concerned that it could be a liability while taking a ferry trip (which we do here in Puget Sound). Glad to hear the enhancements are switchable.

You're welcome. Yes, the "Tilt / Intrusion" slider setting can be set on or off. However, I hear that it is tied in with the other security settings. For example, if Sentry Mode is on, then "Tilt / Intrusion" has to be on. (I think I have that right. I haven't gotten to play with it yet, obviously.) If you search TMC for "enhanced anti-theft..." there are users who discuss the system and how it functions. One TMC poster was complaining about what he thought was an illogical setting restriction, but it turned out Tesla engineers had figured it out correctly so in the end it was good.

With Sentry Mode and cams these days some people argue that the EATS is unnecessary. However, I see it as just one more added deterrent and worth the money over the life of the car. Hopefully it is not needed. I always assume that there is no stopping professional thieves. But stuff like this may hopefully help against the inexperienced petty criminals.

First, this is not a standard feature on every S. It is a post delivery option that does not show up on your 'Upgrades' in the app and provides enhanced interior protection in addition to the standard security features.

I had the EATS installed in both or S and X prior to Sentry Mode being introduced. I would probably not have gotten them if Sentry had come out first.

On our S, it works as expected. There is in addition, as stated above, the Tilt/Intrusion Slider. The negative to this setting is that it must be on for Sentry and if on, it disables the Cabin Overheat protection. So you can protect your car further from theft or the elements, but not both at once. Even if you chose Sentry Off at home, work, or favorites, it will not automatically disable Tilt and allow the enabling of Cabin Overheat. I think this may be due to climate control making the fans move items within the cabin that may set off the intrusion sensors. Guessing here.

On our X, the Tilt slider was never present. When I pointed this out on install, was told the X does not have this feature in the EATS system. This has proven to be untrue. After TPS5352 contacted me privately, I added my concern to our scheduled Service Call for today. At the Service Center, was again informed that this was a feature exclusive to the S. This time, however, had a picture (thanks to TPS5352) that showed an X with the Slider on the Security Screen. Lo and behold, they confirmed our X had not been configured properly. Our X now has a properly functioning EATS.

...Our X now has a properly functioning EATS.

Excellent. Did they tell you what was involved in fixing the problem? Just a software update? Did you test the system (in an isolated area)? Probably unnecessary. If the slider control is there, I bet it works for sure.

Part of the confusion about the EATS being standard may be because in certain parts of the world (e.g., Europe) EATS is standard with every applicable vehicle. (Did I read that European regulations require it? Can't remember.) It's like the Tesla Roadside Safety Kit. In parts of America it is a $65 option (for sale on the Tesla "Shop" website). But in certain areas (Some U.S. states? Maybe Hong Kong?) they come standard with applicable cars in response to local regulations. (I assume Tesla passes the costs of these "requirements" on to customers in the MSRP.)

Regardless, if customers have purchased it, they deserve a working system. If this problem has affected you and me, how many other people are parking their cars with EATS installed (say in Model X) but not functioning? I wonder if Tesla could check on cars with the EATS installed over the air?

My service is going to be handled (tomorrow) by a mobile tech guy. Hopefully he can get mine working also.

Excellent. Did they tell you what was involved in fixing the problem
It's an easy fix for Tesla. It's just a matter of updating your car's Gateway.config file value from 0 to 2.

As you mentioned, vehicles that come with the "Enhanced Anti-Theft System" from the factory, have an additional siren powerd by its own internal battery. But vehicles that had the EATS installed as an accessory, they only get the ultrasonic sensor with the gyroscope.

"products":[ "ModelSX" ] }, { "description":"intrusion sensor/tilt alarm installed", "content":{ "enums":[ { "codeKey":"INTRUSION_NOT_INSTALLED", "description":"SensorNotInstalled", "value":"0" }, { "codeKey":"INTRUSION_WITH_BATTERY_SIREN", "description":"WithBatterySiren", "value":"1" }, { "codeKey":"INTRUSION_ONLY", "description":"SensorOnly", "value":"2" } ] }, "accessId":"intrusiontilt", "codeKey":"tilt_intrusion", "products":[ "ModelSX" ] },

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: All In and tps5352
OK. I will show this to my tech if he doesn't know about it.

I did not know anything about an additional siren. I was just going off of the sound from the standard alarm, which I tested by opening my locked door (through open window) without the key-fob present. That was loud enough. So you're saying that the European car have an additional siren. Wow.

Excellent. Did they tell you what was involved in fixing the problem? Just a software update? Did you test the system (in an isolated area)? Probably unnecessary. If the slider control is there, I bet it works for sure.

Part of the confusion about the EATS being standard may be because in certain parts of the world (e.g., Europe) EATS is standard with every applicable vehicle.
Have not picked up vehicle yet. They sent me a screenshot showing the Tilt/Intrusion slider on the control screen......I now recall reading that somewhere about European models. Thanks for the clarification.

It's an easy fix for Tesla. It's just a matter of updating your car's Gateway.config file value from 0 to 2.
Correct.

OK. I will show this to my tech if he doesn't know about it.

I did not know anything about an additional siren. I was just going off of the sound from the standard alarm, which I tested by opening my locked door (through open window) without the key-fob present. That was loud enough. So you're saying that the European car have an additional siren. Wow.
Good luck. So far, seems most techs don't know too much about it. Not sure how popular it is in the States given it is an add on. Yes, the standard alarm is damn loud. I've had it go off in the garage a few times and.....

You're welcome. Yes, the "Tilt / Intrusion" slider setting can be set on or off. However, I hear that it is tied in with the other security settings. For example, if Sentry Mode is on, then "Tilt / Intrusion" has to be on. (I think I have that right. I haven't gotten to play with it yet, obviously.) If you search TMC for "enhanced anti-theft..." there are users who discuss the system and how it functions. One TMC poster was complaining about what he thought was an illogical setting restriction, but it turned out Tesla engineers had figured it out correctly so in the end it was good.

With Sentry Mode and cams these days some people argue that the EATS is unnecessary. However, I see it as just one more added deterrent and worth the money over the life of the car. Hopefully it is not needed. I always assume that there is no stopping professional thieves. But stuff like this may hopefully help against the inexperienced petty criminals.
In Europe it seems to be a standard option for Model S.
If Sentry Mode ("Wächter-Modus") is ON, Tilt/ Intrusion and Alarm ("Kippen/EInbruch" and ""Sicherheitsalarm) can't be selected / changed anymore. Theses options are greyed and selected (ON). So may be the alarm options are still ON (activated).

Attachments

• Sentry Mode OFF.jpeg
    Sentry Mode OFF.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 249
  • Sentry Mode ON.jpeg
    Sentry Mode ON.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 244
  • Informative
Reactions: tps5352
...Be aware that perhaps for some cars the EATS has been physically installed but may not be functioning.
...two otherwise unrelated TMC members (another person and myself) independently have followup mobile service appointments this week to try to get our respective EATS working properly. We'll report back with any conclusive findings...

So both Ohmster and I have fulfilled our respective service appointments--his at a service center on Monday, mine by mobile repair technician today. Both our Model X cars now have functioning Enhanced Anti-Theft Systems. My tech plugged his laptop into a port or cable under the display screen and behind the "cubby" area. (Like what human and robot characters do in sci-fi movies.) The central touch screen changed--for example, the Tesla "T" temporarily returned. While working he acknowledged the language by Art_Vandelay, above. Took very little time to have the "Tilt / Intrusion" setting line appear on my "Safety & Security" screen.

(It took way longer to activate some extra key-fobs I purchased. Why is that? My tech tells me Models 3 and Y fobs are very quick to activate. Model S fobs don't take too long. But Model X can take an hour. How come?)

When my appointment was over I drove to a secluded area and confirmed that the system is working. I lowered the driver's side front window, exited the car, walked sufficiently far away for the car to go into lock-down mode, returned without the key-fob, and put my arm in through the open window. Nothing happened. Then I remembered that there is a delay for the EATS to "arm" itself, right? I took a minute or so to walk around, came back, and tried it again. I was rewarded/punished with the ear-splitting alarm, and if I am not mistaken some kind of music?

Comments/Recommendations
  1. If you have had the Enhanced Anti-Theft System installed, check to be sure you have a Tilt / Intrusion control line in your Safety & Security screen.
  2. If you don't have the Tilt / Intrusion line, it's likely that your $350 investment is not functioning. Physically test it, if you want. But even in the unlikely event that the EATS is working without that S&S control line, you still want that Tilt / Intrusion setting to be present so you can turn the system off and on.
  3. This problem may be exclusive just to Model X--the jury is still out on that. If you have a Model S outfitted with the EATS and you also have this problem, please let us all know.
  4. Get it fixed in the usual way--contact Tesla service via your phone app. It does not hurt to send them a screenshot of your Safety & Security screen showing the missing Tilt / Intrusion setting.
  5. Fixing the problem should be free, should probably not involve any hardware repair (assuming the original installation was done correctly), and can be accomplished by a mobile service tech person. (Or have it done at a SC if you have to go there anyway.)
  6. The fix seems to be quick. Once Tilt / Intrusion is on your Safety & Security screen, odds are the problem is 100% fixed and the EATS will be on whenever Sentry Mode is on (or if you turn it on otherwise). (But test the system if you feel the need. Once stung, twice shy, right?)
  7. The EATS came out (in North America) in late 2018 and was apparently a hot seller for awhile in some (urban) localities. But it may now be off the radar screen of some less experienced repair people. So don't accept to the excuse, "Model X isn't supposed to have the 'Tilt / Intrusion" setting," or anything like that. This system needs a way to be turned off at the driver's command, whether in Model S or Model X.
  8. Be aware that the EATS is supposed to be pretty sensitive. That is why Cabin Overheat Protection turns off when the EATS is on. Any movement (might it be dust in the air, fluttering fabric/paper, or an insect?) could potentially set the EATS off. This is why you want to be able to turn the EATS off, say when you are parked safely somewhere and want excessive-heat protection on.
  9. I do not see a specific Tilt / Intrusion control setting in the phone app. Too bad. But there is a Sentry Mode control slider. Perhaps if Tilt / Intrusion is manually set to off in your in-car S&S screen, and T / I is on only when Security Mode is on, it will turn off when you turn Security Mode off using your phone app. So partial phone app control of T / I, if that makes any sense? (I'll try that later.)
Let us all know if you have any further issues with the EATS in your car.

1. I do not see a specific Tilt / Intrusion control setting in the phone app. Too bad. But there is a Sentry Mode control slider. Perhaps if Tilt / Intrusion is manually set to off in your in-car S&S screen, and T / I is on only when Security Mode is on, it will turn off when you turn Security Mode off using your phone app. So partial phone app control of T / I, if that makes any sense? (I'll try that later.)
Let us all know if you have any further issues with the EATS in your car.
when you say "when you turn Security Mode off using your phone app", you may mean "Sentry Mode on" because I don't have the option "Security Mode" on my phone app.

when you say "when you turn Security Mode off using your phone app", you may mean "Sentry Mode on" because I don't have the option "Security Mode" on my phone app.

Hmm. For my part I meant "Sentry Mode off," since I have a Sentry Mode control in the app and it is already "on." I am looking at my iPhone Tesla app "Controls" screen right now. It shows a "Sentry Mode" on-off slider (white circle to the left = off; white circle to the right = on). It is already "on." Here is a screenshot:

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 11.47.21 AM.jpg

Since I did not turn it on using the app, the slider must reflect what the Sentry Mode (SM) setting is in the "Safety & Security" (S&S) screen inside my car (which is where I turned SM "on" yesterday).

My question was, if you turn SM off using the app, does it automatically turn Tilt / Intrusion (the Enhanced Anti-Theft System) off too? Or if you had originally turned the EATS on individually (using the Tilt / Intrusion control in the car's S&S screen) and then turn on SM (again using the car screen), and finally turn SM off using your phone app,...will it leave the EATS turned on? (Confusing to write about--easier to understand if you are playing with the car screen with phone in-hand.

My car is currently parked with a Tesla car cover over it. Later today after I drive it, I will play around with the "Sentry Mode" and "Tilt / Intrusion" settings on my car's touch screen and in my phone's Tesla app and report back. (Others may already have reported on this elsewhere on the TMC forum.)

Bottom line: As others have commented on, the "Sentry Mode," "Security Alarm," "Tilt / Intrusion," and "Cabin Overheat Protection" controls are inter-related and can affect each other. It takes a small bit of practice to understand what controls what. Tesla engineers appear to have logically thought things out to avoid potential conflicts.

Everything I am saying applies to a U.S. (and possibly Canada?) Models S or X car. Not sure if there are software control differences with the European versions.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PatrickCH4313
My question was, if you turn SM off using the app, does it automatically turn Tilt / Intrusion (the Enhanced Anti-Theft System) off too?
No. Not in my experience.
Tesla engineers appear to have logically thought things out to avoid potential conflicts.
I disagree somewhat. If you turn off the Tilt/Intrusion, Cabin Overheat Protection should have the option of turning back on automatically. It's a pain for me at work. I turn off SM, turn off Tilt, turn on Cabin Overheat. The when I leave, I turn on Tilt, turn on SM. Because, if you set SM mode to off at work, it does not disable Tilt and enable Cabin Overheat.......so, to me with SM, I really don't like the EATS module. If someone is close enough to the car it is detected. So realistically, can someone reach into the car without being in close enough proximity? And I really don't think anyone is going to be tilting either of our overweight S or X.

I disagree somewhat...

Right, I see what you mean. I played around with my security setting, both on the "Safety & Security" screen in the car and in the Tesla App "Controls" screen on my (i)phone. Some of the software interactions are confusing and not entirely logical. I started some spreadsheet tables (which is how I tend to make sense of complicated issues. I'll publish those soon for the benefit of others.

One thing I think would help would be to expand the App Controls to include a specific slider for "Tilt / Intrusion." Or maybe a top-of-the-touch-screen icon just for "Tilt / Intrusion?"

So far still glad to have the EATS working, though.

• Informative
Reactions: PatrickCH4313
...And I really don't think anyone is going to be tilting either of our overweight S or X.

Was that a feature intended to stop thieves from towing away a car (to a secluded area) without opening the doors/lift-gate and otherwise activating the standard security system alarm? (AFAIK, the standard system alarm only goes off if the locked doors/lift-gate are opened. correct?)

Was that a feature intended to stop thieves from towing away a car (to a secluded area) without opening the doors/lift-gate and otherwise activating the standard security system alarm? (AFAIK, the standard system alarm only goes off if the locked doors/lift-gate are opened. correct?)
It seems to be true. I locked my car with the driver windows opened. I grip the steering wheel or tilt the car, NO ALARM .

Sorry, but Sentry Mode was ON and I thought it get OFF when the option "except for HOME" is selected.

I had a test and the alarm works fine. When the alarm was triggered, beside the alarm siren I got an alarm notification on my phone Tesla app.
"Fahrzeugalarm wurde ausgelöst" means "Alarm of the car was triggered".

But this means you can't set "Sentry Mode" ON + "Except for HOME" and have full security with "Alarm-Tilt/ Intrusion" options set ON (and greyed).
So the best is to have "Alarm-Tilt/ Intrusion" options ON and "Sentry Mode" OFF (set via Security settings in the car) and control "Sentry Mode" via Tesla app.

Attachments

• Tesla App Alarm.jpeg
    Tesla App Alarm.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 284