Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enthusiast Non-buyers (gen3 waiters)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

Just curious how many others there are like me. I've een obsessed with Tesla since the Roadster. Read the forums, scour the streets, discuss to no end. Invested at the ipo and again on dips.

I dream of owning the S but it really makes no sense for me. I walk to work for 5+ years now, our Subaru is paid off and the wife drives it. So I'm a dreamer with no reason to get one, but damn the car is awesome I covet.

I'm a wannabe living vicariously through you guys! Though, I will buy gen 3!

I'm like you too. Got interested in Tesla because of the Roadster and have been following them since then. I don't currently own an EV. I ride public transit to work, and my car (a used one) is only for longer 100 mile trips which most EVs can't make. Even if I can afford a Model S, the car is a bit too big for me (esp. for parking in the city) and I don't want an SUV (so RAV4 EV is out). So I'm also on the same boat of waiting for gen III.

Another one here. BMW enthusiast turned electric enthusiast. Would love a Model S but its out of my range for now. Planning on a Gen III. Also planning on picking up a Volt when my BMW lease is up in a few months. I really wanted to buy TSLA stock in February but wisely chose to continue to pay off other debts. Will purchase stock in a year or so.

I wish I could afford a Model S or X, but that isn't happening. I've made a vow to myself that I won't buy another ICE (I see no sense in bothering with a Hybrid), so I'm milking my truck out as long as I can until Gen III. I'll play my part to keep Tesla alive. People think I'm a bit nuts to be advocating for a car I can't even own, but I know that Tesla will do it right.

Count me in. I religiously monitored the forum for a couple of years before posting. Recently cashed in some of my TSLA stock so the Gen3 is mostly paid for. Really grateful to everyone in the investor threads for giving out great advice. Model S is larger than I want anyway. Came close a couple of times to buying a Model S. My current car, a Saab 93-2 has 185k miles so am now trying to decide how best to bridge the gap until Gen3. My SAAB has been great, with repairs and service under $500 since I've owned it. (excluding tires, 1 new set of brakes and regular oil changes. Maybe I'll keep it:smile:

Last edited:
I wish I could afford a Model S or X, but that isn't happening. I've made a vow to myself that I won't buy another ICE (I see no sense in bothering with a Hybrid), so I'm milking my truck out as long as I can until Gen III. I'll play my part to keep Tesla alive. People think I'm a bit nuts to be advocating for a car I can't even own, but I know that Tesla will do it right.

Hahaha. Same here.

I actually got started with getting into the volt, then A123 and fisker, then the LEAF, and finally found Tesla. Bought some shares last July.

Last edited:
Followed Martin Eberhard's ventures since the Nuvomedia Rocketbook. Bummer about the break.

I always liked electric cars, but they weren't cost-effective before the Model S, and that's only if you are in the market for something in that price range anyway. It's too spendy for me.

I'll look hard at the electric B Class Mercedes, it's a Tesla underneath. I might lease a Leaf as a second car. If I'm smart i'll run my Fusion into the ground. It's paid for.

I bought some Tesla Motors stock recently. Late to the party.

Same story as the other posters so far. I've been an investor for a while now, and I at least get to drive a company car for a while yet, but not nearly long enough to wait for Gen III. Figuring out what should fill the gap is becoming an increasingly difficult problem to solve.

I's also a Tesla enthusiast who is not an owner yet, and probably wont be for while. I have been following Tesla since before the first roadster was delivered. Every time I am in a city with a Tesla store, I always stop in. My wife accusing me of secretly working for Tesla, has I have about a half dozen Tesla polo and T-shirts I picked up on these visits in my closet (in fact, my boss once asked me if I work for Tesla on the side, as I wear the Tesla shirts to work frequently). When the first picture of whitestar leaked out (not long before it officially became Model S), I was so excited about it that I immediately emailed the picture to my dad, who responded that it looks like a jag, and wanted to know if it got better MPG than my current car. On the day of the TSLA IPO, I bought bought in with the thought that I may not make money on the investment, but I want to be a part owner of my favorite company. In hindsight, I wish I has bought much more stock than I did.

My wife made me promise not to put down a deposit without actually sitting in the car first, so when Model S Beta vin #14 made its way to the Dania Beach showroom, I scheduled a business trip to my companies office nearby, and stopped in to check it out. I came home with reservation number P8661. When the get amped events came around, I cashed in some skymiles and went to the LA event. To say I was blown away by the car is an understatement, and I probably never forget pulling up to the "floor it" sign on jack northrop way, and rocketing past the SpaceX factory in my dream car (I am a huge space enthusiast as well, and actually found out about Tesla while looking up info on the newly formed space company SpaceX).

I sat happy with my reservation for a while, but it slowly became obvious to me that the 40 kWh pack was not going to have anywhere near the 160 mile range advertized at the time, and due to the fact that one day a week I drive 100 miles round trip, I really needed to be looking at the 60 kWh pack, not the 40 that I had squeezed into the budget. When the service plan pricing was announced to be mandatory to keep your warranty, that was the final straw that pushed the Model S out of my budget. I tearfully called Tesla and cancelled my reservation. At that point, I really needed a new car, as I had been limping a 10 year old Pontiac along hoping to make it until my Tesla arrived, so I did the only thing an EV enthusiast with a budget and a long daily commute could do, and went to the local Chevy dealer and signed a lease on a Volt. My original intent was to lease the volt for the years, and then get a Gen III when I turn the volt back into the dealer in late 2015. With Gen III being pushed back to 2016-2017, that plan looks to have unraveled, so I am trying to come up with a new strategy that will eventually result in a Tesla in my garage. Current options being evaluated are to looked for a gently used Model S, Try to sign a short term lease on a different car to bridge the gap between my volt and Gen III, or to simply find a way to save up enough cash to bridge the gap to get me into a new Model S. I guess I still have 2 1/2 years to figure that one out.

The first I heard of Tesla was at the 2012 North American International Auto Show and it really caught my interest how a car could be built on such a simple platform. I bought a few shares of TSLA in my 401k when it was around 30 and now wish I could have made some cash investments as well, but who'd have guessed what would happen. It's great to see how well the company is doing, and I'm confident Elon's vision of bringing electric cars to the masses will come to fruition.

My dad took delivery of a Model S this March and he actually let me take the first drive. I love the driving characteristics of the car, but to me it's not the perfect car and I couldn't justify spending $80k on one. I've always driven a SUV or crossover and enjoy the higher ride height. If it was $50k I might be able to overlook some of the missing features and get used to driving something low to the ground, but for now I'm more comfortable waiting for a future model. I'm waiting for more details to be announced on the Model X with the hope that I may be able to budget for one, but realistically I'm probably going to be waiting for the Gen III or a Gen III-based CUV. It can't come soon enough!

This may come as a surprise to some, but I am in this camp too. While I can comfortably afford a Model S, I made the decision some time ago that I like owning Tesla's stock, and that it was probably a better place for me to put my money than in a Model S. So, I'm sitting back and waiting for the Gen III, which will better fit my driving needs/habits anyway, and won't impair my ability to invest in the company.

Now, hopefully NC doesn't make it really difficult for me to get it when it is available.

I'm glad to hear that there are other people like me. I can afford the S and have actually had a reservation on one for about a year now, but I just haven't pulled the trigger. I've never been a car guy, and while the S is awesome, it just seems like a waste of $ to spend that much on any car. I'll be a shoe in for geniii, but even so I'm still pretty tempted to just get the S. Safety ratings should be coming out soon, if they turn out as expected it's truly going to be the best in class, best in world. I'm going to feel like even more of a scmuck driving my beat up old car that doesn't even have side airbags when I could be driving the safest one on the road.
This may come as a surprise to some, but I am in this camp too. While I can comfortably afford a Model S, I made the decision some time ago that I like owning Tesla's stock, and that it was probably a better place for me to put my money than in a Model S. So, I'm sitting back and waiting for the Gen III, which will better fit my driving needs/habits anyway, and won't impair my ability to invest in the company.

Now, hopefully NC doesn't make it really difficult for me to get it when it is available.

Have followed Tesla obsessively since before the Eberhard/Fisker stuff, back in the dark ages when they were still trying to do a "manual transmission" electric for people like me. Silly, looking back.

Bought TSLA @ $30, looking/saving to buy more...

S is too big, Roadster is too small. Bluestar should be juuuust right.

And maybe TSLA will pay for my Tesla.

Happy Wednesday!