Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimating battery use around destination before Return

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because availability of the supercharger network, I don't have concerns about this, but I was wondering what people are doing about situations where they expect to be driving around a fair amount at their destination before returning. Is the solution just to charge up longer than required en route? It would be cool if we could enter a variable into the Trip Planner for a reserve to hold for driving around at the destination.

I do not have my model 3 yet so I'm just going off the manual at this point.

I like to charge to 50% or more remaining at destination at the last Supercharger before our destination when we visit our son who is not close to a Supercharger. That's enough to do stuff early in the visit and allow a 120V 12A charge to slowly fill us back up over the week. If we go on a long day-trip we have enough to hit the nearest Supercharger at the start, though sometimes it's a bit out of our way.

All the third-party trip planners (EVTripPlanner, ABetterRoutePlanner, EVTO) allow you to enter a desired percent remaining at final destination. That automates things a bit more and gives you a better arrival time estimate. But just watching the in-car nav estimate of percent charge remaining at destination works fine.