Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European MCU2 Upgrade has optional radio tuner upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the article, it seems like the mandate applies to new cars produced after 2019 so that shouldn't apply to MCU1 vehicles. A little more hopeful they will offer this as an option in the US if there's already an official process to have it done in Europe.

Based on reports from individuals, the amount of labor needed is pretty extensive to give us radio support with the Infotainment Ugrade Package. That would add maybe 2 or more hours of labor to the cost, thereby increasing the overall costs... Unlikely Tesla will offer it as some of the radio stations are already on Tune-In.

Based on reports from individuals, the amount of labor needed is pretty extensive to give us radio support with the Infotainment Ugrade Package. That would add maybe 2 or more hours of labor to the cost, thereby increasing the overall costs... Unlikely Tesla will offer it as some of the radio stations are already on Tune-In.

Agreed that it seems to be significantly more labor. The post on the thread claims that the total upgrade price is 2800 Euro (~3,300 USD) so that might account for the difference. Not assuming it would be included in the existing $2500 infotainment upgrade price in the US, just hope they'll make it available as a paid option for those who still want it.

I wish we had an auxiliary jack so we could at least pick up a portable FM radio to plug into the car for the drive-in movies. I can deal without FM most of the time, but I will miss the opportunity to go to the drive-in once in a while. I wonder how hard it would be to add something like that.
I added one when I upgraded my stereo. The Lci8 has an auxiliary input. Not sure if there is a way to install it without also installing an Amp.

aftermarket audio upgrade

I wish we had an auxiliary jack so we could at least pick up a portable FM radio to plug into the car for the drive-in movies. I can deal without FM most of the time, but I will miss the opportunity to go to the drive-in once in a while. I wonder how hard it would be to add something like that.

Funny enough, the main reason I even want the FM support is to have an aux input through using an FM transmitter. Bluetooth streaming is an option, but there's a lag that causes video to be out of sync. Would be equally happy if they could get rid of the bluetooth lag, don't see why it's not possible since there's no lag when listening with any of my bluetooth headphones.