Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European Model 3 owners: How do you like the vehicle so far?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove M3 Performance on 25th of Jan, but was not planning to buy it, even as I am a first day reservation holder (was 2 reservations originally). I prefer to keep my MS. Let’s revisit once those lower end models arrive and our 2nd car is due for replacement.

The Performance 3 felt great and engaging, just as I pictured. It was true winter conditions, and the AWD performed great as in MS. Track mode was disabled. Consumption after almost full day of test drive rally in (just) below freezing weather was 220Wh/km. That’s what you get in MS with regular driving in same conditions. One screen would be acceptable in practice, contrary to what I thought. Having sat in one already before there were no surprises. It’s great value and a different spirit animal than MS. It will lure in many performance sedan buyers, which by volume are not that many. Where I live, taxation which punishes high CO2 emissions benefits M3, but there are no subsidies for EVs over 50k€. There really need to be 40k€ versions of the M3 to create any volume. This is what premium German sedans cost, and people expect this price point. Model 3 can then beat competiton with economy, power and tech. I think EU may be a little tougher market to M3 due to customs, and preference on small hatchback and van/estate style economy cars.

Europeans seem to be active on FB groups and local forums. I loathe FB so I'll have to lurk here. Would be nice to read some first encounter experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT_EE
A few translated via Google Translate:

Acceleration is faster than my old S85 of course. And the Model 3 feels somewhat tighter / sharper / more direct / nervous than the S. Not necessarily better for my taste, but different.
Finishing (inside and outside), I think look fine, but am not someone who with a vernier caliper the seams will run. : D
I really enjoy the minimalistic interior. Must still get used to only one display, because I like to monitor everything at once while driving (consumption, tire pressure, weather, navigation etc.) so that is now more choice.
Like x 3 Funny x 1
Merijn

# 12Jooop, Yesterday at 4:18 AM
Here is my very professional driving impression of an AWD after 500km:

... HOLY SHIIIIT!

(Joop again:)
Now I read this request, I will be explaining something more.

I come from a 2014 clio estate diesel so well, maybe a distorted picture, but how this thing accelerates and grabs itself in the corners is incomprehensible.
You really have to experience it yourself. This will be read with rolling eyes by S / X riders, but this is my experience as a relative layman. The car does exactly, but also exactly what you want. Characteristic of the experience is the fact that it makes a lot of difference whether you press the pedal slowly (within 1 sec) from 0-80 or suddenly stamped on it. With a fossil it does not really matter, the couple is just at the limit until you make speed. If I accelerate "gradually", it is fast, very fast. But you notice that the car wants more. Kick the pedal with devotion and he blows em out! (technical term). Then you just feel how much he wants to empty the battery when you're at 90% SoC.
Roundabouts are great, as long as nobody is around and you do not have passengers.
And all that with just a spaceship "soooemmm" as sound.

Regarding range, I am satisfied with the average wh / 100km when I look back at the graphs. With the wind of the past few days it is difficult to estimate but for more than 180wh / km you really have to do your very best on the highway. The summer tires will help enormously in that respect. If you drive a bit smart (not 140km / h against the strong wind in) you can expect in the flat Netherlands well 165wh / km expect under somewhat favorable conditions during the average commute.

It struck me that the mechanical brake may be kicked pretty hard to come to a standstill. It will come because the rain works so well and gives a distorted picture, and because the car is secretly very heavy even if it does not feel like you use the engines.

There are many more things to say about it but in the end you just have to drive yourself in it and I hope that for other early reservation holders will also happen very soon!