Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European pricing and configurator now live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone in Europe able to use the app after ordering? Does not work for me. „No vehicle connected to account.“ Is this normal? How long does it take for the car to pop up in the app?

Today, the app started working for me.
When I log in I see my red Tesla Model 3 and I can watch the instruction videos or get support.

Also, there is an open 'treasure chest' in the top right corner. When I press it I get a white screen with an error:
'Catch Error: Failed to connect to myTesla. Status: TypeError: Cannot read property 'status' of undefined.'

Anyone else from "Other Europe" (aka EU countries without Tesla stores) planning on getting a Model 3? If so, is picking up in Tilburg really our only option? Or can you somehow get it at a Tesla store in the neighboring country?

Anyone else from "Other Europe" (aka EU countries without Tesla stores) planning on getting a Model 3? If so, is picking up in Tilburg really our only option? Or can you somehow get it at a Tesla store in the neighboring country?

Officially - yes. Also, you can't just pick it up yourself, you need to hire a transportation company that will transport it to the end destination.

Curious to know what kind of government subsidies they do in European countries.

In Norway we get pure EVs (not plug-ins) tax-free. No taxes, no VAT, no extra fee. We also get to drive in the buss lane, free parking, free toll roads and lower yearly price for driving on the road.

We have had this rules since the 90s, but now EVs are getting so good and the delivery is also better so the last few months EVs are around 50% of all new cars sold.

Look at: Registreringer av nye elbiler i Norge

Government incentives for plug-in electric vehicles - Wikipedia

Also "best" chart I found, but it is outdated and not entirely correct.
MjMyMTM2OQ.jpeg

Au contraire. I can and I will pick it by myself and drive it to Bulgaria with transit plates.

OK, good to hear. You're not worried about coming there and finding out there's something wrong with the car? :) Based on what I read here/on Reddit, our US based Tesla-friends have entire check-lists for delivery.

Do you know what the exact process is?
1. order + deposit
2. pay for the balance before delivery (guessing without VAT)?
3. what then? get local insurance and ask them to issue transit plates? pay VAT locally? (and to whom? :))

This is what Tesla.com says about VAT on the S order page:
The sale to other EU countries will be subject to the 0% VAT rate in the Netherlands, provided that customer will provide Tesla within 30 days after supply with the relevant documents to support the application of the 0% VAT rate in the Netherlands.

So if "supply" is "delivery of the car" that means you have to provide supporting documentation (=paid local taxes) within 30 days? Or is it 30 days after you order?

Btw... still sucks that they can't deliver the car to your nearest Tesla Store... I mean... they're driving cars there anyway and seems like a simple thing to implement :) Wonder if Elon would agree :)

I don't mine traveling around Europe. It is fun for me. It would be more fun not paying gas.
You can ask google about transit transit plates nietherland - Google Search
In order to get Bulgarian plates I must pay VAT. I think term is 30 days after import.
There is several Teslas here and I am sure that their owners will advise me through the process.
But I think it is a long time before the configuration opens for me.

Based on some reading from the past few days, I've clarified (at least a little bit) the process of importing the car from Tilburg to another EU country. It's possible Tesla sends this information once you order but there's nothing written on the order page. It's possible they also take care of some of the steps (e.g. get you transit license plates - steps 3-5).

1. Order car :)
2. Pay the invoice WITHOUT VAT (nett price)
- it's certainly without VAT for companies
- it's not 100% sure for private individuals. According to EU rules, you need to pay the tax in the country where the vehicle will be registered (see [1]) and Tesla.com [4] states they don't charge VAT, you just need to provide proof of paid VAT. But according to [1] they actually could (and you'd get a refund) and there's also some threads where Tesla simply charged NL VAT (see [5])
3. In order to export a car, you need transit license plates (see [3] for a lot of details - for each country), which you get at RDW in NL (see [2])
4. According to RDW.NL, there's a process to getting transit license plates, which requires you bringing the car there. For this you first need the one-day license plates, which you can order when calling for an appointment.
5. The transit plates are valid for 14 days
6. Once you bring the car to your country, you need to go to your local RDW equivalent and fill out an import declaration. They'll classify the car (CO2 emissions, ...)
7. With that, you can calculate any needed taxes on top of the nett price (e.g. motor vehicles tax)
8. Tesla nett price + other taxes = basis for VAT calculation
9. Pay VAT
10. Register the car locally

I'm pretty sure that's about it but it'd be great if someone who went through this process could chime-in and provide corrections or additions. The thing I'm not 100% sure yet is about insurance - you definitely need it (although according to [3] RDW NL doesn't require it to issue transit plates but I'm not certain where to get it: get temporary insurance in NL? or get regular insurance in advance @home.

For Tesla: providing transit plates and bringing the car to the nearest store (avoiding a long trip to NL in case anything goes wrong) would be a BIG help.

Sources:
[1] Official EC VAT page: VAT on cars bought abroad (click: BUYING - EU country - NEW car)
[2] Transit license plate for NL: Transit | RDW
[3] Buying a car in other EU countries (complete guide): http://epc.si/media/JOINT-PROJECT_AUTO_REPORT_europe.pdf
[4] Tesla Models S order page: Tesla
[5] Thread from Tesla forum regarding exporting to a NON-EU country: Export out of EU - Charged 21% Dutch VAT, against the Law? | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: paveld and oritomov