Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European SuperCharger rollout updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speed limits in much of EU are 120 and 130kmph - this translates to 125 & 135 on the speedo to keep up with the traffic. It's my experience that on a bright sunny day with no wind then you'll just about scrape 300kms range at these speeds. With rain, wind and cold you can cut that down to 275kms.

And this isn't autobahn I'm talking about... Just normal FR, BE, NL motorways.

And this is driving steadily on cruise-control. Excuse me, but I have a car with phenomenal acceleration and I'd quite like to use it when I want.

Based on this I think 150kms is the spacing we really need for SC's in order to remove all range anxiety.

Well those might be in FR, BE, NL. They aren't in EE, LV, LT, PL ;) The maximum speed allowed in Estonia is 110km/h and only on separated lanes and good roads. Those account for about 20-30km stretches going out from Tallinn. I'm not sure such roads even exist in Latvia, all I've taken are 90km/h or even prevalently 70km/h. Poland would be the lone exception with the highway allowing also around 130km/h and hence my mention that maybe Poland could use 3 instead of 2 on that particular route.

Now putting them at 300km initially will give the region coverage that is the minimum needed to get through. At a later date when it's obvious this route is used or amount of cars is increasing one can just add SC's in between the extisting ones bringing the distance to 150km and removing the anxiety altogether.

Oh and I'd prefer a route that exists and forces me to go 90-110km/h max to one that doesn't exist ;) So I'd be happy if it starts with those 5 (or 6) SC's and some time in 2015/2016 is doubled...

Speed limits in much of EU are 120 and 130kmph - this translates to 125 & 135 on the speedo to keep up with the traffic. It's my experience that on a bright sunny day with no wind then you'll just about scrape 300kms range at these speeds. With rain, wind and cold you can cut that down to 275kms.

And this isn't autobahn I'm talking about... Just normal FR, BE, NL motorways.

And this is driving steadily on cruise-control. Excuse me, but I have a car with phenomenal acceleration and I'd quite like to use it when I want.

Based on this I think 150kms is the spacing we really need for SC's in order to remove all range anxiety.

Well those might be in FR, BE, NL. They aren't in EE, LV, LT, PL ;) The maximum speed allowed in Estonia is 110km/h and only on separated lanes and good roads. Those account for about 20-30km stretches going out from Tallinn. I'm not sure such roads even exist in Latvia, all I've taken are 90km/h or even prevalently 70km/h. Poland would be the lone exception with the highway allowing also around 130km/h and hence my mention that maybe Poland could use 3 instead of 2 on that particular route.

Now putting them at 300km initially will give the region coverage that is the minimum needed to get through. At a later date when it's obvious this route is used or amount of cars is increasing one can just add SC's in between the extisting ones bringing the distance to 150km and removing the anxiety altogether.

Oh and I'd prefer a route that exists and forces me to go 90-110km/h max to one that doesn't exist ;) So I'd be happy if it starts with those 5 (or 6) SC's and some time in 2015/2016 is doubled...

You are both right! :)

I agree with Mario that first they connect the whole of Europe and maybe the first 1-2 years you'll have to drive some legs of a journey conservatively to reach the next SC but then after a while you fill in with more SCs where it's needed, based on usage of the SCs that are in place and people's requests.

+1.

photo.PNG

Wow This is a lot of superchargers!!!

This was done using real world 300km distances. Easily doable with 85kWh model (95+% of all EU sales) in ANY weather on that route as the speed limits max out at 110km/h and that only makes up about 1-2% of the total route. Most of the route is 90km/h with plenty of 70km/h sections. The only part being Poland where the highway might be faster in summer so maybe instead of 2 in PL it might be 3 to make it more comfortable (though in summer you can do 300km even with 130km/h). Still it's a very small amount to cover this route and it would cover most of the region pretty well actually. One can always tighten up later, but it would add a huge region relatively cheaply.
That would be very cool to extend the SC-Network to the east of Europe too, but as you actually compare the map with the original line drawing you will also notice that the planned routes to Portugal and Spain have been vanished on the new map. As time will come also new super-chargers will pop on the map. I think in approx. 100 weeks from now we could travel from Lissabon to Saint Petersburg just on SC-Network.

Now with pictures :)

Coming soon:
View attachment 49737

Winter 2014-2015:
View attachment 49738

The Winter 2014-2015 map looks fantastic. It has got 132 red dots on it. It would be very reasonable to say that there will be 132 Supercharger stations in Europe before the start of the summer of 2015 (there is always some delay). And that is 13 months from now. And 132-17=115 to go. And 115/13= almost 9 per month on average. Tesla Motors is doing a very good job. And the focus really is on Germany. This will certainly help to increase the sales figures of Tesla EV's in Germany.

The Winter 2014-2015 map looks fantastic. It has got 132 red dots on it. It would be very reasonable to say that there will be 132 Supercharger stations in Europe before the start of the summer of 2015 (there is always some delay). And that is 13 months from now. And 132-17=115 to go. And 115/13= almost 9 per month on average. Tesla Motors is doing a very good job. And the focus really is on Germany. This will certainly help to increase the sales figures of Tesla EV's in Germany.

December 2015 is still winter 2015...

I had my sarcastic mode on. Just looking at Tesla's ambitious planning in the past, most things seem to come rather later than sooner.

Actually you are right about that. Most of the Supercharger stations in the US did go live in Q4 2013 and in Q1 2014. I think that the same Will happen here in Europe. Meaning that most of the 115 new Supercharger stations will go live in Q4 2014, in Q1 2015 and in Q2 2015. Therefore, I think that we should not expect more than 40 Supercharger stations to go live before October 2014.

I had my sarcastic mode on. Just looking at Tesla's ambitious planning in the past, most things seem to come rather later than sooner.

On the other hand, the delays were weeks or months, not years, like is commonplace for other such industrial efforts. Most of the delay was at the very beginning, as they refined the technology, learned the ropes of site acquisition and permitting, and did contractor selection and logistics.

Tesla has ramped up the installation rate dramatically in the U.S., and they recommitted in the Q1 earning call to even more acceleration of "capex" in the next year. This is one of the things that drove the stock down at the time; some nervous nellies were disappointed at the decrease in Tesla's realized and anticipated profits and free cash-flow for the next year. This is precisely because of a bolder and faster build-out of superchargers, service centres, and stores.

Yes, on the other hand, we see things happen that have not been done before.

Not much more than one year ago our V6 Voyager was "the" car for us. We had no idea what it would look like today. We now have both a Nissan Leaf and a Model S and are completely convinced about electric driving. We have the Model S for almost two month's now and it has taken us already to Austria and later even to Hungary for a weeks holiday, mostly with the help of the SuC's. The Vienna SuC got live just before our trip back so we were the first Dutch to use this SuC (and we gained some hours!)

Next to this revolutionary car, that keeps amazing us, we see this expanding network of SuC's all across Europe. (it doesn't stop at winter 2014/2015, it is just the start) Maybe it takes a bit longer than was expected, hoped of even promised, but in my perception this still comes close to a miracle.