Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European SuperCharger rollout updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, after almost 6 months on the "coming soon" map from Tesla, I have decided to stop counting on Bremen and Hamburg. At least the SuC at Busdorf has been opened recently (that's the first in Germany coming from DK).

My plan to drive to Brussels from Norway at Xmas will have to be revised, driving down to Hamburg (counting on the 2 SuCs from the service center), and then from there to Brussels taking a detour of about 80 additional km through Lauenau and Kamen in Germany, and then Urmond in NL before reaching destination. Looking like this on a map:

View attachment 65114

A Hamburg-Bremen-Emsbüren would have been a much more efficient way to cross Germany... This is how it would look like on the map:

View attachment 65113

But the Hamburg gap is really hard to close! I wonder why Tesla Motors has so many problems to have their SuC in the Bremen area done...

The distance from:

Tesla Motors Store & Service Center Hamburg
Valvo Park, Unit C-20
Hamburg, Germany

to
Emsbüren, Germany
Carl-von-Linne-Straße 1

is 283 km.

Is that a problem (if you would limit the speed to 100 km/hour)?

The distance from:

Tesla Motors Store & Service Center Hamburg
Valvo Park, Unit C-20
Hamburg, Germany

to
Emsbüren, Germany
Carl-von-Linne-Straße 1

is 283 km.

Is that a problem (if you would limit the speed to 100 km/hour)?

100 km/h on the autobahn?? THAT is the problem :biggrin:

LOL - seriously now, I'm not sure yet. If I charge 100%, I would get some 390km range, which could be enough to cover those 283 km even driving 120 kph... But I have doubts and a long list of "what ifs" pops in my mind.

Superchargers in Europe, December 2014, 250km radius
SC_Evropa_2014_12.png

100 km/h on the autobahn?? THAT is the problem :biggrin:

LOL - seriously now, I'm not sure yet. If I charge 100%, I would get some 390km range, which could be enough to cover those 283 km even driving 120 kph... But I have doubts and a long list of "what ifs" pops in my mind.

It's either that or "to Brussels taking a detour of about 80 additional km through Lauenau and Kamen in Germany, and then Urmond in NL before reaching destination".

Both options will get you to Brussels.

I don't see any problem.

Driving in a Tesla Model S is not a punishment of any kind, at any speed or any distance, it's a pleasure.

100kmph on autobahn is dangerous.

Well, depends. It is if you behave like a fast car, not going fast (i.e. driving on the left lane or middle lane). But if you know you are limited to 100 kph, stick to the right. Just like a truck.

What I do agree is that Hamburg SuC 24/7 is a real necessity. I've read somewhere else on this forum that you could access it even in the middle of the night if you have previously contacted Tesla, and agreed that some security guy would open gates for you, or something... But this is not very convenient, is it?

- - - Updated - - -

True, Benz, but with a wife and three small kids, my goal is to go from A to B as quickly as possible.

The acceleration of the SuC rollout has been fabulous, but it's so frustrating that these two missing SuC's aren't there linking Germany more conveniently to Denmark.

Same here, with baby, dog, and wife, the ideal situation would be to be able to drive the shortest route at about 140-150 kph (in Germany), which is why I complain about not having a SuC in the Bremen area.

- - - Updated - - -

Aren't there any slow public chargers that one could use to add a few tens of km and clear the mind of worries?

The Bremen area is surprisingly low on charging stations. There are a few type 2 spots, though, as shown on plugshare:
Capture.PNG

But type 2 usually gives you only 30 -ish km range per hour of charge... Not much.

True, Benz, but with a wife and three small kids, my goal is to go from A to B as quickly as possible.

The acceleration of the SuC rollout has been fabulous, but it's so frustrating that these two missing SuC's aren't there linking Germany more conveniently to Denmark.

The combination of three small kids and long distance driving can indeed cause a problem (in any car, at any speed or distance).

For the sake of convenience it would be better if there would be a Supercharger station near Bremen, that I do admit.

But if you want to speak about a problem, then you should talk to people in Texas.

Sure, but it's just so odd that we still have this gap. Given the over-abundance in south Germany I find it incomprehensible.

Anyway, I'm sounding like a broken record now... I'm sure it will be there by end of next March (famous last words :biggrin:)

In 2015 there will be significant progress in the Supercharger network in Europe, North America and Asia (+ Australia).

A global total of at least 600 Supercharger stations before January 2016?

Well, depends. It is if you behave like a fast car, not going fast (i.e. driving on the left lane or middle lane). But if you know you are limited to 100 kph, stick to the right. Just like a truck.

What I do agree is that Hamburg SuC 24/7 is a real necessity. I've read somewhere else on this forum that you could access it even in the middle of the night if you have previously contacted Tesla, and agreed that some security guy would open gates for you, or something... But this is not very convenient, is it?

- - - Updated - - -

Same here, with baby, dog, and wife, the ideal situation would be to be able to drive the shortest route at about 140-150 kph (in Germany), which is why I complain about not having a SuC in the Bremen area.

- - - Updated - - -

The Bremen area is surprisingly low on charging stations. There are a few type 2 spots, though, as shown on plugshare:
View attachment 65121
But type 2 usually gives you only 30 -ish km range per hour of charge... Not much.
Tell me about it.. Ive got a S60 and I've bought the ferry tickets to Kiel for this february... 280km at 100km/h should in theory be possible but in february any kind of badish weather will mean I end up stranded. I would have to do at least 2-3 hours on 10kW chargers (yes I didn't buy the double chargers and right now that sucks.). I would be very very happy if they got a supercharger in Bremen or even one slightly southwest of Hamburg on the highway will shrink the distance to the next one.

Though I'll probably do 10kW charging and have some peace of mind...just spend more time on the trip...

Cobos