Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charger Maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to everyone who is compiling charger info, but I can't but help think that there should be "one map to rule them all". (and one app to go with it).
Eventually we will have to find a way of sharing data because the task of developing one national (or global) database is beyond the capabilities of a single company IMO.

An open source project like OCM allows people to contribute and do something about the current problem of 80+ maps.... it also allows like minded groups to work together and this week alone OCM has been joined by 3 or 4 'maps' in Europe.

With regards to data quality this will improve as the number of contributors increases. One of the proposed database enhancements is to automatically 'age' the data and then to 'refresh' it every time someone uses the Charging Station. In this way a user of the data can see how old the report is and make a judgement about whether to trust the database.

I personally disagree about the need for one app. I love the idea of having different apps for different needs (a sat-nav is very different from a hotel booking system but they can both use the same OCM data). I see the app space as very dynamic and exciting as developers let go of the idea of collecting and maintaining the Charging Station data themselves.

Please get involved in OCM... we are growing fast now and a source of reliable Charging Station data is good for all EV drivers IMO.

'refresh' it every time someone uses the Charging Station.

This is what we really need - the CARS should update the database with location, voltage, current, time, etc. Just need manual input for what kind of outlet or connector was used, and how much it cost.

Of course that will be a long time coming. In the meantime yes I will try and update the database whenever possible.

Current Number of Charging Locations in the OpenChargeMap database = 5676

United States: 3146
United Kingdom: 600
Netherlands: 599
Austria: 458
Sweden: 239
Portugal: 152
France: 114
Hong Kong: 101
Norway: 85
Denmark: 58
Japan: 29