Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charger Replacement - guidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

James-R10

Model S Plaid 01/01/21 MSM/BlackCF/FSD/21" EU+ M3P
Aug 19, 2017
UK
I am replacing my old dumb Tesla wall charger for a new Zappi 2.1 tethered unit to allow it to support smart charging multiple cars.

My current Tesla charger is plumbed into a slot on my RCD board.

Electrician is saying I need a new SPD setup and new rcd subboard just for the car charger.

A job I was expecting to be <£200 is now coming back at £400+.

Is this right or are these guys taking the mick?

Reactions: zoomer0056
RCD board -> A photo would be helpful. It's possible that it's a single pole RCD, which wouldn't meet the requirements and would be more easily solved with a dedicated sub-board.
SPD - Electricians are supposed to advise strongly, but if you say no in writing then they should skip that requirement. It's definitely something I'd consider if the board was being replaced, not sure if I would for an EV charger.

Probably not taking the mick, but equally they could guide you more around the SPD

On the one hand, my old charger met the regs when installed so i swapped it out myself like I might replace a cooker, something you could do. It’s not a new circuit although I am aware regs have changed since.

On the other hand, as it could kill you if things went wrong, if you’ve any doubt, go with professional advice.

I’d be asking whether you “must” or “recommended” to change.

RCD board -> A photo would be helpful. It's possible that it's a single pole RCD, which wouldn't meet the requirements and would be more easily solved with a dedicated sub-board.
SPD - Electricians are supposed to advise strongly, but if you say no in writing then they should skip that requirement. It's definitely something I'd consider if the board was being replaced, not sure if I would for an EV charger.

Probably not taking the mick, but equally they could guide you more around the SPD

Photo below. I have another subboard of this one but the existing charger is plugged into this one.

OK, so the RCD you have is shared. It's Type A and Dual Pole.

"Regulation 722.531.3.101 of BS 7671:2018+A2:2022 states that unless the circuit is supplied using the protective measure of electrical separation, each charging point incorporating a socket-outlet or vehicle connector complying with the BS EN 62196 series is to be protected individually by an RCD of Type A, Type F or Type B and having a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30 mA. The RCD is also required to disconnect all live conductors."

So the current RCD arrangement doesn't meet the standards. The main issue is likely to be nuisance tripping, but it's also possible that other things are creating DC leakage, which may add up to more than the type A RCD can handle. I'd argue that the other components on the shared RCD are unlikely to be used at the same time as the car is charging.

I'd personally be happy using this arrangement, but it's not to current standards. (I'm not an electrician. I do have a working knowledge of the components and safety devices involved).
I'd be more concerned around the plastic consumer unit "fuse box" (depending on the location and impact on escape route if it caught fire) and ponder if I wanted to spend the extra on an all metal unit rather than sub-boards.

You might be able to find a electrician that's willing to simply replace the charger on the basis that it's an existing circuit which met the standards which existed at the time of installation. You can hopefully use the above to explain the situation.