Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got Scammed with defective Wall Charger. Will it still work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a "New Gen 3 Wall Charger" on CL for $275 and of course jumped on it. Met the guy locally and he looked respectable. Said he bought it, opened it and realized it wasn't going to work for his setup and wanted to get it sold and "off his shelf". I'm in an area with very few Teslas so I reasoned he wouldn't have a lot of people interested and that's why he was selling cheap.
The box was opened but inside it had a clean main unit and an untouched mounting plate (no holes drilled in the plate) with the screws/hardware still in the bag. The charging unit looked minimally scuffed but overall everything looked brand new. Even the Instructions were included.
I took it home and installed it the next day and found it was not putting out a Wifi signal at all. Lights were on, but no wifi. I tried reseting it multiple times, but again no Wifi. I plugged it into my tesla and it would only charge at 6amps at 240v. It worked but only at 6 amps. I then begin trouble shooting and realized that the wifi SID and the password on the back of the unit were different than the ones in the instruction pamphlet that came with the unit.
The guy had bought another wall charger left in the mounting plate and hardware and then put in the defective unit to sell to me not realizing he had forgot to switch out the instructions which had the other's units ID/Password. I tried contacting the guy and he is long-gone.
Well, now I'm trying to figure out whether this Wall Charger is salvageable or reparable at all. I've seen 2 tear down videos online---one by Munro--but the info is limit ad cannot get a schematic of the PCB. Any ideas from some experts on here? TYIA

Tesla has a diagnostic tool for this situation: Tesla SSO - Sign In

1689357551135.png

Yeah, when I bought a "new" opened one I verified that the serial number on the unit matched what was on the box, but that wouldn't really matter if they had kept the original box.

What is the part number? Does it end with a G or H? I think the G revision is the one they fixed the overheating in, and the H version they just released in the last month or so.

Yeah, when I bought a "new" opened one I verified that the serial number on the unit matched what was on the box, but that wouldn't really matter if they had kept the original box.

What is the part number? Does it end with a G or H? I think the G revision is the one they fixed the overheating in, and the H version they just released in the last month or so.
This one is a G unit.