Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Clinic doing single cell swap on Model 3 battery...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm no EE, but everything I've read says this will fail. Even without reading, it stands to reason that if this worked, Tesla would be doing it.

I do hold hope that some day someone will solve this problem such that batteries can fail more gracefully - where one failed cell won't cause an entire pack failure. For now though... that's still the case.

I'm no EE, but everything I've read says this will fail. Even without reading, it stands to reason that if this worked, Tesla would be doing it.

I do hold hope that some day someone will solve this problem such that batteries can fail more gracefully - where one failed cell won't cause an entire pack failure. For now though... that's still the case.
And still driving. 50000km ;)

There is no reason to fail.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
a bit early to tell i guess with just 50k km... but good news nevertheless
have u matched CAC of that cell when replacing?..
not sure how much it matters in one cell swap but in full module swap its very important..

FYI, EV clinic recently posted single cell replacement in legacy S/X pack..
I'm glad they're not suggesting snipping cells lol
They did mention there that u would need to snip 1 cell from all 96 bricks
They also mentioned CAC matching for modules
Glad EV shops catching up to proper repairs...

a bit early to tell i guess with just 50k km... but good news nevertheless
have u matched CAC of that cell when replacing?..
not sure how much it matters in one cell swap but in full module swap its very important..

FYI, EV clinic recently posted single cell replacement in legacy S/X pack..
I'm glad they're not suggesting snipping cells lol
They did mention there that u would need to snip 1 cell from all 96 bricks
They also mentioned CAC matching for modules
Glad EV shops catching up to proper repairs...
sorry but several cars on road. First Model S 85 already 18 motnhs on road. Doing cell swap wrong, you will fail like Jason. Without proper measurements and preparing USED (not new) cell, there is no reason to fail ever.

Doing cell swap wrong, you will fail like Jason.
@wk057 worth a read/watch. while technically 'feasible', we have probably the same questions you might... not the least of which is why?? and to what end?? while admittedly the economics in some markets may support this, but all this - along with the inherent risks - to maybe recapture 1%-3% capacity??

Certainly it makes for great videos :D

<grabs popcorn> ;)

Last edited: