Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Offer Model Y Electric Frunk - not actuating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Madsen203

May 26, MYLR, White ext, Black int, Tow, 19”
Jun 1, 2021
Bay Area
Installed the parts last night and so far no luck getting it to operate. Verified all connections are good, no bent pins or damaged wires (visibly at least).

When attempting to actuate the frunk, the main release activated but struts are not powered. When closing, no power struts and soft close isn’t catching or operating either.

the ECU is flashing a single red light every second. I followed the initiation sequence (hold black button) as well. Attempted power cycle of ECU (unplug, replug, initiate) and no luck.

any one else run into this and identified solution. I checked the power pins for the struts as I’ve read that could be an issue as well as swapping them around.

reached out to support but they are 15 hours ahead so it’s a lot of “message tag” as they respond in the middle of the night.

Thanks in advance!

Mine initially beeped and then nothing, I tried the reset and then manually closed it. Then it started working. Are you getting a beep?

Mine eventually stopped shutting, tried new ECU but that didn't do anything. Mine is on the way back to HK.

Mine initially beeped and then nothing, I tried the reset and then manually closed it. Then it started working. Are you getting a beep?

Mine eventually stopped shutting, tried new ECU but that didn't do anything. Mine is on the way back to HK.
That sucks to hear. What is the reset procedure? I haven’t been able to find much in terms of how to troubleshoot. I’m hoping it’ll work as I’d love to use the space (think:smelly food). The lack of automatic opening is annoying. I did see someone post about using new struts that expanded automatically to at least lift the hood when opened. Maybe I’ll go that route if this doesn’t work out.

I also like the soft close feature. I read somewhere that if one electric strut fails that the system doesn’t work. Troubleshooting which one seems challenging without having access to the parameters.

I’m getting the beep when I “initialize” but not when I use the button in the app or within the car. It also has the multiple beeps for adjusting speed etc but not opening or soft closing.

by reset I meant hitting the button on the ECU / "initialize". You should get a beep when the latch unlocks after hitting the open trunk button. They will probably send you a new firmware to update whenever you catch them on chat. Don't put the frunk and other trim back in until you get it working. You have to access the ECU to flash the new firmwares.

Best of luck to ya, I may end up swapping to those assist lift struts. As a word of advice, If you end up needing to remove the power struts, I couldn't find a stubby enough Allen key or slim enough ratchet to get to the bolt on the bracket since the bottom fo the strut is in the way. Ended up using a long pry bar (someone suggested on here) to pop the bottom of the strut off the bracket.

by reset I meant hitting the button on the ECU / "initialize". You should get a beep when the latch unlocks after hitting the open trunk button. They will probably send you a new firmware to update whenever you catch them on chat. Don't put the frunk and other trim back in until you get it working. You have to access the ECU to flash the new firmwares.

Best of luck to ya, I may end up swapping to those assist lift struts. As a word of advice, If you end up needing to remove the power struts, I couldn't find a stubby enough Allen key or slim enough ratchet to get to the bolt on the bracket since the bottom fo the strut is in the way. Ended up using a long pry bar (someone suggested on here) to pop the bottom of the strut off the bracket.
Good tip.

I’m hoping it’ll work. If not, I’ll ask for refund as that’s a lot of dough.

removing the two panels and HEPA filter doesn’t take more than 5 minutes or so. The alignment for the latch was pretty easy.

fingers crossed. Thanks for your input.
They haven’t responded yet but hoping we can get it resolved.

3105 is the number on the FW version I received.
Thank you…I installed mine last night and it worked fine right out of the box ( sw v15.f20). Excited to see it working well. I’m glad tesla service does not care but let’s hope that there are no issues moving forward. Seeing feedback on the forum makes me feel confident!

Pulling the oem hydraulic was tough….my advice to others is to pry the back slot and it will open.

Thank you…I installed mine last night and it worked fine right out of the box ( sw v15.f20). Excited to see it working well. I’m glad tesla service does not care but let’s hope that there are no issues moving forward. Seeing feedback on the forum makes me feel confident!

Pulling the oem hydraulic was tough….my advice to others is to pry the back slot and it will open.
I used a long thin flat tip screw driver and a rubber mallet to tap the back of it. I also used a rag along the quarter panel as the driver was rubbing against it in this method. They came off and no scratches to paint. The bottom I just unscrewed the 1/2” bolt and didn’t bother removing them from the strut itself. Plenty of room to work around that one.

Reactions: Slomo_65
Just finished my install. Looks like the same issue for me. Latch test alignment hood. Issue is I can’t seem to get the trunk to actuate on an “open”. I have ti manually lightly life it for it to automatically start lifting on its own.

Just finished my install. Looks like the same issue for me. Latch test alignment hood. Issue is I can’t seem to get the trunk to actuate on an “open”. I have ti manually lightly life it for it to automatically start lifting on its own.
See if the company has a firmware update for the ECM. That’s all it took to fix mine and it has been working 100% since. I’m still incredibly happy with it.