Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV parking priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My concern is arriving at a highway rest stop (e.g. On Route here in Ontario) and finding the EV charging spots occupied.

If BEVs were charging there, that's one thing. Ouch, possibly big delay, but I wait my turn.

If an ICE were blocking it, that would be maddening, and hopefully there's some law against that.

But what if the spots are full of PHEV's? They have every right to charge, but they're doing it to save money (and perhaps a modest amount of carbon). I need the plug because I have no choice - I'm stranded without charging. What then?

My concern is arriving at a highway rest stop (e.g. On Route here in Ontario) and finding the EV charging spots occupied.

If BEVs were charging there, that's one thing. Ouch, possibly big delay, but I wait my turn.

If an ICE were blocking it, that would be maddening, and hopefully there's some law against that.

But what if the spots are full of PHEV's? They have every right to charge, but they're doing it to save money (and perhaps a modest amount of carbon). I need the plug because I have no choice - I'm stranded without charging. What then?

Exactly!....I guess you will have to wait or hope that the PHEV owner come back rather quickly... The infrastructure is simply not mature enough to handle 20k more plug-in vehicles (and that is probably just in the first year).

I think they (PHEVs) shouldn't tie up spots for hours on end at highway stops but you're correct, they have that right. I agree it could be a good thing as well. If thousands of PHEVs and a smaller number of EVs start demanding more charging infrastructure, that would carry more weight than a few thousand EV owners alone. Pay for charging will also help. Hopefully it's high enough to discourage the casual charger (someone who's just plugging in because they can) and keep spots open for EV drivers who need to charge or they can't continue their trip.

I think they (PHEVs) shouldn't tie up spots for hours on end at highway stops but you're correct, they have that right. I agree it could be a good thing as well. If thousands of PHEVs and a smaller number of EVs start demanding more charging infrastructure, that would carry more weight than a few thousand EV owners alone. Pay for charging will also help. Hopefully it's high enough to discourage the casual charger (someone who's just plugging in because they can) and keep spots open for EV drivers who need to charge or they can't continue their trip.

Imagine that - a scenario where I would want to lobby for having to pay.

Perhaps a compromise - similar to toll routes - free chargers plus "express" chargers you have to pay for?

(The bottom line is that PHEV's, be they Prius or Volt, don't need away from home charging, because they aren't EV's, they are hybrids).
And yet the chatter on Prius Chat's PiP section is really big on staying electric as much as possible. These folks are not willing to give up the convenience of a gas engine and road trips, but they are obsessed with using that gas engine as little as possible, and the short electric range means that they'll plug in at any opportunity.

Maybe the rule should be that a pure EV can bump a PHV off the plug. But I guarantee that 99% of PHV drivers will claim they have just as much right to the public plug, and some will grumble if they have to return to their car and move it after the charge is complete.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, though, because I don't drive my Roadster more than 100-odd miles in a day, so it will always and only be charged at home. I prefer to park at the far end of the lot and stretch my legs, so I won't use my EV as an excuse to grab a preferential parking spot. And for road trips, my Prius does not plug in.

(Though back in the early days there were a few --very few, but some-- Prius drivers who suggested that since the Prius is a "gas-electric" hybrid, it should be allowed to park in EV-only spots. People can always find an excuse for claiming special treatment, whether it's HOV access for being a better citizen, or preferential parking for driving a "more responsible" car.)

Fast chargers will most certainly be pay chargers, as they should. They cost a lot more to purchase, and install, and require a more robust power supply, and will place a large load on the grid, often at peak times. You shouldn't be using a fast charger unless you really need it, and are willing to pay a premium to do so.

And yet the chatter on Prius Chat's PiP section is really big on staying electric as much as possible. These folks are not willing to give up the convenience of a gas engine and road trips, but they are obsessed with using that gas engine as little as possible, and the short electric range means that they'll plug in at any opportunity.

Maybe the rule should be that a pure EV can bump a PHV off the plug. But I guarantee that 99% of PHV drivers will claim they have just as much right to the public plug, and some will grumble if they have to return to their car and move it after the charge is complete.
There has to be some awareness that an EV driver can be stranded without a charge but a PHEV driver cannot. If you want the safety net of carrying around an ICE you can't really claim the same need for charging.

My opinion is that hybrid vehicles should not be allowed to charge in public.
(and I'm a plug-in Prius owner)

But that would allow more good "EV miles"... Perhaps we need charging stations that expire your free parking as soon as the battery is full? So PiP wouldn't be allowed to park for long. Ideally the car and EVSE would communicate and show you how long you get to park there. Think parking meter that switches to 'expired' when your battery is full. Then, if you stay longer, you risk a parking ticket.

The only good part about the crodwing of stations is that the demand for more stations is heard from more voices.

There were just RAV 4, and Ranger, and conversion owners asking for stations. Then Roadster owners asked for them. Then everyone wanted all the old ones converted to J connectors. Now everyone just wants more and more are asking for more.

We will see the same as the EV word spreads. More owners telling more people how great they are which will create more owners who will ask for more places to plug in.

Sound freeway familiar doesn't it?

I have a hard time with the line here. The PiP, pretty obvious, not an EV, shouldn't get to park at EV spots.

But what about the Volt? It's actually got a chance of never using gas if it were to plug in and get charged. I don't think I'd mind seeing one charged at a public spot - it's got a decent enough sized battery.

There are going to be more cars that are in-between.

So, where's the line, and why?

I thought the PIP can travel 8 Miles on battery power alone? IMO if the thing has an ICE motor it should not be allowed to charge or park in spaces that are designated as EV only.

As much as I think anything with a plug should be allowed to use the spot as long as it is actually charging, there is also the thought that spots are somewhat wasted if charging is too slow. For instance, what if a LEAF is charging at only 3.3kw at an EVSE capable of 16.8kw? Should a roadster get priority as its' time there results in more possible EV miles? And some spots even have NEMA5-15s for 1.4kw charging. Wouldn't it be better if a PiP charged there rather than say a 120V 100% BEV golf cart? I have been unable to charge my LEAF at some public charge spots because someone parked a golf cart there all day.

Ultimately the.charge spots ought to take into account multiple things such as battery capacity, SOC, and charging rate and schedule/prioritize based on those. It could send a text to your phone saying another vehicle has now reserved the spot and you must move your vehicle within say 15 minutes or else the EVSE will switch to expired and subject you to ticketing.

Even though I drive a 100% BEV, I don't think we should deny the plug-in hybrids some access to the same charging infrastructure. I also don't think we should give out 'free, indefinite parking privileges' as a perk to EVs that aren't able to charge there or are no longer in need of a charge. (airport & train station long term parking should be an exception though.)

Last edited:
On the other hand a LEAF with it's smaller pack may be more in need of a charge, even at a slower rate, than a Roadster with it's larger pack and faster charge ability. We can come up with all sorts of different scenarios and there is no simple solution, but I think there is a basic priority of EV over anything with an ICE. If you have an ICE you don't need to plug in.

There has to be some awareness that an EV driver can be stranded without a charge but a PHEV driver cannot. If you want the safety net of carrying around an ICE you can't really claim the same need for charging.
Never underestimate the ability of people to rationalize why they should get special privileges. You and I can say that BEVs should have priority over PHVs and REEVs, but those folks will say, "You made the choice to buy a car without an ICE. Live with it. I got here first."

I suspect that the best we'll get is the compromise of "Move your car when the charging is finished."

Never underestimate the ability of people to rationalize why they should get special privileges. You and I can say that BEVs should have priority over PHVs and REEVs, but those folks will say, "You made the choice to buy a car without an ICE. Live with it. I got here first."

I suspect that the best we'll get is the compromise of "Move your car when the charging is finished."

Or a car that is not an EV cannot use public charging stations because the actual parking spots in front of a lot of stations are designated as EV Only not PHEV etc. Just because a car has a J plug means they can automatically park in ev spots? I do not really see that logic