Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Road Trip: Stopping-Time Poll

How much time do you like to take to drive a road trip that Google Maps says will take 10 hours?

• < 10 hours (if the police don't catch me)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About 10 hours (I just like to drive)

• About 11 hours (I'll stop to eat & use the bathroom, but keep it to a minimum)

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • About 12 hours (I'll stop to rest, eat, & use the bathroom)

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • About 13 hours (I take my time)

• About 14 hours (world's biggest ball of string? I've got to see it!)

• > 1 day (10 hours driving? Not in one day for me!)

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several recent threads have made me curious about peoples' road-trip habits. The question: Given enough EV range or a fast enough charging time, how much time would you spend stopped on a long road trip -- say, something that involves ten hours of driving (actual on-the-road, wheels-spinning drive time)? Extra time could be spent eating, using the bathroom, walking a dog, tending to antsy children, napping, or whatever you would do on a road trip when not actually driving. This is of course relevant for deciding what type of EV to get, or if an EV would work at all -- will you need something that charges faster than a Model 3 LR RWD (in miles of range per hour of charging) to be happy, or would a Chevy Bolt's 50 kW charge rate be adequate? My question uses a 10-hour drive time as an arbitrary figure. The question assumes good travel conditions; no blizzards, traffic jams, etc., just an open road and adequate infrastructure to charge (or otherwise fuel up) as quickly as you like.