Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVgo Announces Plans to Expand NACS Deployments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EVgo Inc. (NASDAQ: EVGO) (“EVgo” or the “Company”), one of the nation’s largest public fast charging networks for electric vehicles (EVs), today announced that the company will be adding North American Charging Standard (NACS) connectors to its fast charging network across the country following the recent announcements by Ford and General Motors (GM) that they will be leveraging NACS starting some time in 2025.

screenshot-img2.storyblok.com-2023.06.13-12_45_59.png

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Oh, shoot! I've just ordered a CCS Tesla adapter for $175 + tax. Do you think I still have a chance to use it when traveling around NM, AZ, CO, UT?
Edit: ... I had a look at the map, and it appears there are no EVGo chargers in places outside of major cities ... so I don't care about them really.

Last edited:
Oh, shoot! I've just ordered a CCS Tesla adapter for $175 + tax. Do you think I still have a chance to use it when traveling around NM, AZ, CO, UT?
Edit: ... I had a look at the map, and it appears there are no EVGo chargers in places outside of major cities ... so I don't care about them really.
Unless you're permanently tied to using EVgo for some unique reason, there's always other companies which have CCS stations. For example, here's the Electrify America CCS stations according to plugshare.com:

1686703574752.png

Unless you're permanently tied to using EVgo for some unique reason, there's always other companies which have CCS stations. For example, here's the Electrify America CCS stations according to plugshare.com:

View attachment 946733
Sure, I can see some CCS chargers in places where Superchargers are unavailable (yet) in CO and NM. I just did not know before that the EVGo has such a limited coverage.

I was shocked that not all charging networks adopted NACS the minute it became an open standard last year. Since Tesla cars comprised 70% of the US EV fleet it seems like a no brainer...
I am assuming the thinking was that these Charging Network companies felt Tesla's infrastructure was so good already and that Tesla owners would pick superchargers over them anyways so why bother...what they should have done was found locations where there were no Tesla SCs and built out a site there.

I guess it's harder said then done.

Reactions: Olle
I am assuming the thinking was that these Charging Network companies felt Tesla's infrastructure was so good already and that Tesla owners would pick superchargers over them anyways so why bother...what they should have done was found locations where there were no Tesla SCs and built out a site there.

I guess it's harder said then done.
That's my guess as well. If given a choice right now I probably wouldn't bother with a non-Tesla DCFC since they have such known reliability problems. And with fewer stations to cover demand (usually half the number of stalls per station vs. a supercharger site), the impact of a station being offline usually goes up by a factor of 2.

If there's no competition, I'd try 3rd party. That said, these charging companies aren't building out stations with the interest of enabling how far you can go in an EV, they're deploying in places where people are most likely to be.

Reactions: Michael Sant