Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV's Not Ready For Prime Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I agree that we're not quite there yet with wide spread EV usage, I point at different problems. He states that manufacturers should add more range. But range means bigger batteries, which are heavy to lug around. It seems we've hit enough range with ~500km for most people. There are studies that show that typical commutes are like ~80km per day, or maybe less. Now granted these studies should be made per country or per state/region, and I know typical daily drive un the US seems longer than most other countries. Still...
I point at charging as the biggest issue. There are multiple (3 in America) DCFC connectors and that causes a lot of confusion. There are 2 AC charging options (Tesla vs J1772). There are multiple different "vendors" that force us to have plenty of apps on our cell phones. There are connectivity issues. Some chargers are down. Now that charging is getting "fast", we just need stations to be everywhere like gas stations are today. We need all of them to just work, either by communicating with the car or by just taking a credit card and be done with it. That would remove the requirement to plan in advance. Those stations need the same services: minimal snacks and rest rooms. The rest is bonus.

Sounds like he should have had dinner at Applebee's, instead. Rather than jumping into a family vacation EV rental completely uninformed, he would have had a much more satisfying experience if he did even just a bit of cursory research. This article is strange coming from someone who claims to be a 20-year EV proponent, yet submits negatively-slanted opinion pieces to a popular EV website.

This is an interesting read - seems like the short sellers got into his head and led him astray: OP-ED: How Listening To Tesla Short-Seller Andrew Left Cost Me $4,350

Last edited:
If by "Prime Time" he means ready for the majority of drivers who have no interest in learning how to deal with a BEV, he's absolutely correct. BEVs are great, but they do require some learning, trip planning, and compromises. Not a lot, but definitely some.

Unfortunately most want easy, but for me I’m willing to sacrifice some small issues to drive an EV. To me not having to support the fossil fuel industry and help the environment is worth the effort.
I wouldn’t say I’m the smartest person ever but I found owning a Tesla and taking trips with it extremely easy. Even back in 2015 when super charger coverage wasn’t as good.

Heck even with my gas car I still keep an eye out on the fuel gauge and make sure I don’t run out of fuel, and when taking trips I still plan out my gas station stops, just like I did with supercharger stops.

I wouldn’t say I’m the smartest person ever but I found owning a Tesla and taking trips with it extremely easy. Even back in 2015 when super charger coverage wasn’t as good.

Heck even with my gas car I still keep an eye out on the fuel gauge and make sure I don’t run out of fuel, and when taking trips I still plan out my gas station stops, just like I did with supercharger stops.
That's me as well. I am actually much more comfortable on a long trip in the T rather than in the ICE

Battery tech needs a quantum leap (longevity and density/capacity). Charging station tech also needs a quantum leap. Until then...I still discourage all my acquantances and others from getting an EV.
What type of longevity are you looking for? What would be that magic number? Where would you like to see the charging station leap to?

I as well discourage people of purchasing any other type of EV other than a Tesla. No way should we consider anything short of Tesla standards.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude