Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVSE Choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My utility has a TOU plan so ideally I would charge between 10pm and 5am. From what I understand the Tesla scheduling doesn't handle this great in that you can't tell it to charge between two times, instead you have to tell it when to start or when to finish. I imagine that's probably fine since I likely will not need 7h of charging. However, there are EVSEs that will let you do scheduling between times as well as provide a bunch of charging data.

The utility will sell me a Chargepoint Home Flex for 250 which has the added benefit of being able to charge non-Teslas without an adapter but the downside of requiring the adapter to charge the Tesla. They will also give a (smaller) rebate on the Tesla Wall Connector so at the end of the day there is a minimal difference in cost.

Given the above, which EVSE would you choose?

My utility has a TOU plan so ideally I would charge between 10pm and 5am. From what I understand the Tesla scheduling doesn't handle this great in that you can't tell it to charge between two times, instead you have to tell it when to start or when to finish. I imagine that's probably fine since I likely will not need 7h of charging. However, there are EVSEs that will let you do scheduling between times as well as provide a bunch of charging data.

The utility will sell me a Chargepoint Home Flex for 250 which has the added benefit of being able to charge non-Teslas without an adapter but the downside of requiring the adapter to charge the Tesla. They will also give a (smaller) rebate on the Tesla Wall Connector so at the end of the day there is a minimal difference in cost.

Given the above, which EVSE would you choose?

The Home Flex can charge at 40A max, while the Tesla Wall Connector can charge at 48A. It'll be pretty rare for you to exceed that 7 hour window with either charger, but it'll happen less with the Tesla, assuming you can do a 60A breaker install rather than a 50A install.

If you have a Tesla, I'd go with the Tesla Wall Connector - you can get a reverse adapter to charge J1772 cars with it as well.

Last edited:
The Home Flex can charge at 40A max, while the Tesla Wall Connector can charge at 48A. It'll be pretty rare for you to exceed that 7 hour window with either charger, but it'll happen less with the Tesla, assuming you can do a 60A breaker install rather than a 50A install.

If you have a Tesla, I'd go with the Tesla Wall Connector - you can get a reverse adapter to charge J1772 cars with it as well.

The Home Flex can theoretically charge at 50A, though I expect I'll have a 60A breaker so it'll end up at 48 same as the TWC.

Reactions: -Amanda
We had a ChargePoint Home Flex installed on a 60 amp breaker for a max of 48 amps of charging for our 2023 Mini Cooper SE. The Mini can only charge at max 32 amps but we were future proofing and hadn’t decided on a Tesla back then. We are happy Tesla includes a J1772 adapter. If we had gone Tesla first then we would have had to purchase a Tesla to J1772 to charge other non-Tesla EV’s.

They are both good EVSE. I actually have two Tesla WC at my home. I have one regular TWC and one J1772 TWC. Tesla has really good power sharing. If you ever plan to add a second charger Tesla is the way to go. I currently have mine setup to share 60 amp of total site capacity. So either of them can charge at 48 amps alone or if both are charging they intelligently share the 60amps between them. You can connect up to six of them in a power sharing configuration.

They are both good EVSE. I actually have two Tesla WC at my home. I have one regular TWC and one J1772 TWC. Tesla has really good power sharing. If you ever plan to add a second charger Tesla is the way to go. I currently have mine setup to share 60 amp of total site capacity. So either of them can charge at 48 amps alone or if both are charging they intelligently share the 60amps between them. You can connect up to six of them in a power sharing configuration.

If you only had the J1772 would that be annoying? I figure if I went with the chargepoint I'd just keep an adapter on the handle.

If you only had the J1772 would that be annoying? I figure if I went with the chargepoint I'd just keep an adapter on the handle.
The Tesla plug is easy for sure. The J1772 there is one extra step. You press on the release but don't pull it out. One the Tesla logo turns white pull the whole plug out adapter and all. It's not that big a deal once you get used to it.

Reactions: flgatorfan