Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Serious problems with new Enel X Way software for Juicebox EVSE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question, and I apologize for this long, rambling post. Jump to the end for my question to the community.

I have been using two Juicebox 40’s on a load group that share a common 50-amp circuit for some time now, and they have worked perfectly, charging my e-Golf and a Tesla Model Y. In late September, I received notification from Enel X that my system would be migrated to a new software system, “The New Enel X Way JuiceBox Experience.”

I dutifully upgraded but noticed soon thereafter that things were not working correctly—the EVSE would time out before a charge was complete, etc. Because of this, I was wondering if the load sharing feature was still working correctly. I hooked up both of my EVs to change at the same time and, to my horror, the two EVSEs were drawing 51 amps continuously on my 50-amp circuit. After 8 minutes, I disconnected the vehicles to avoid overheating the circuit.

I immediately called customer service and received this response three days later, “We have looked into the points raised in your communication to us on October 7, 2023, and confirm that upon further investigation, we have identified a bug with the recent software migration which may have impacted a very small handful of load-sharing customers. We are working hard to address and fully resolve this issue as soon as possible.”

On October 16, I was told via email that the issue had been resolved. I have yet to do another extensive load-sharing test, but I did discover that my JuiceBox 40's have been deprecated to a maximum of 20 amps. This may "solve" the overdraw caused by two EVs simultaneously charging, but clearly the EVSE’s are still not working as advertised.

I called customer support on October 16 and was told a "manager" would call me back. No one did. I called again today and was told that a "manager" was looking at the issue and waited over 20 minutes to speak with him or her. I was told again that the manager would call me back. I have also emailed on this question without any response for 48 hours. Clearly, the new Enel X Way software has broken the capabilities of these units--in fact, they are broken beyond the load-sharing issue, since the EVSE will not charge my e-Golf with a departure time set. Again, I haven't been able to test all of the current capabilities, but everything worked with the old app.

So, my question to the Tesla community, have any of you had similar issues charging with a Juicebox and the new, Enel X Way software? Any suggestions on what I can do to convince Enel X to fix these issues?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question, and I apologize for this long, rambling post. Jump to the end for my question to the community.

I have been using two Juicebox 40’s on a load group that share a common 50-amp circuit for some time now, and they have worked perfectly, charging my e-Golf and a Tesla Model Y. In late September, I received notification from Enel X that my system would be migrated to a new software system, “The New Enel X Way JuiceBox Experience.”

I dutifully upgraded but noticed soon thereafter that things were not working correctly—the EVSE would time out before a charge was complete, etc. Because of this, I was wondering if the load sharing feature was still working correctly. I hooked up both of my EVs to change at the same time and, to my horror, the two EVSEs were drawing 51 amps continuously on my 50-amp circuit. After 8 minutes, I disconnected the vehicles to avoid overheating the circuit.

I immediately called customer service and received this response three days later, “We have looked into the points raised in your communication to us on October 7, 2023, and confirm that upon further investigation, we have identified a bug with the recent software migration which may have impacted a very small handful of load-sharing customers. We are working hard to address and fully resolve this issue as soon as possible.”

On October 16, I was told via email that the issue had been resolved. I have yet to do another extensive load-sharing test, but I did discover that my JuiceBox 40's have been deprecated to a maximum of 20 amps. This may "solve" the overdraw caused by two EVs simultaneously charging, but clearly the EVSE’s are still not working as advertised.

I called customer support on October 16 and was told a "manager" would call me back. No one did. I called again today and was told that a "manager" was looking at the issue and waited over 20 minutes to speak with him or her. I was told again that the manager would call me back. I have also emailed on this question without any response for 48 hours. Clearly, the new Enel X Way software has broken the capabilities of these units--in fact, they are broken beyond the load-sharing issue, since the EVSE will not charge my e-Golf with a departure time set. Again, I haven't been able to test all of the current capabilities, but everything worked with the old app.

So, my question to the Tesla community, have any of you had similar issues charging with a Juicebox and the new, Enel X Way software? Any suggestions on what I can do to convince Enel X to fix these issues?
Don't have one of these, sorry.

But the Federal Trade Commission takes a dim view of a company advertising A, then delivering B, where B is worse. Send them a complaint with a CC to Juicebox. Don't know how much of a help it might be, but there's that.

As of yesterday, it appears as if they have fixed their dangerous load-sharing bug. However, their new software continues to be unable to charge my e-Golf under any timed charge scenarios, whether via a departure time set in e-Manager or using the time-of-use settings on the Juicebox. The only way I can charge my e-Golf at home is to immediately start a charging session at the time of plug-in.

What is especially infuriating is that I have called the Enel X customer service four times and have twice and been promised call-backs from a manager. I received no calls from them, only unhelpful emails from a customer service tech. I'm going to try one more time, but if they keep ghosting me, I will file complaints with the Federal Trade commission and the Minnesota Attorney General's office asking for a refund of the purchase cost for these EVSE, which no longer work as advertised.

P.S. I have not tested their new software on timed charging sessions for my Tesla Model Y, but I will tonight.

An update: It has now been over a month and Enel X still has not fixed their software. I believe the issue is that they never implemented the load sharing feature into their new software. As one of the few who did use this feature, they kludged a fix on my units to make sure that they would not overdraw amps on the same circuit. However, this "fix" broke most all of the other features of their units, making them incapable of providing any sort of timed charging events. I will file a report to the FTC about this unconscionable behavior (forcing a software upgrade that breaks their units) and am in the process of replacing the two JuiceBoxes with Tesla Wall Connectors. What a terrible company! Please do not purchase anything from Enel X.

I will file a report to the FTC about this unconscionable behavior (forcing a software upgrade that breaks their units)[...] What a terrible company!
That's how Apple creates sales of more phones. My wife had two of her iPhones rendered unusable from newer iOS versions, and even the people at Apple stores couldn't roll them back to the iOS versions that worked.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Had the same problem with load sharing after migrating to the new app. The circuit tripped and neither car was charged. Took over 3 weeks with several phone calls with escalations in Tech support, but Enel reversed the migration to the new app server. In essence, Enel engineers physically moved the chargers back to the old "Juicenet server". I have 3 Juicenet chargers with 1 on its own circuit. I use both the Juicenet and Enel X apps. Everything works fine.

As of today , this is is not widely known by them as I started to have the same issues as you Jeff. I have 2 Juicebox 48’s in a 60 amp switch. They are suppose to communicate with each other, but do not. I’m able to change one car at 13 amps max and the other at 48 amps max using all 60 amps, how the hell is this possible will cause a fire hazard? I’ve reduced both chargers to one to 16 amps and the other 30 amps for safety of my panel. I also encountered when one of them defaults from 48 amps to 12 amps, ithe stupid EnelX app says smart charging car will not be finished by such time , but my smart charging in the EnelX app is disabled for both units. They have replaced one unit and hoping they replace the other. The one I have that defaults to 12 amps, has buggy hardware, keeps on saying charging erro, no power? I had to tell them it’s in the same line and circuit. They told me it would be fixed on Monday, here we are Friday Jan 26, issue is not fixed.

I’ve already emailed them and now I’ll have to get on the phone again. This is so frustrating.

Had the same problem with load sharing after migrating to the new app. The circuit tripped and neither car was charged. Took over 3 weeks with several phone calls with escalations in Tech support, but Enel reversed the migration to the new app server. In essence, Enel engineers physically moved the chargers back to the old "Juicenet server". I have 3 Juicenet chargers with 1 on its own circuit. I use both the Juicenet and Enel X apps. Everything works fine.
JuiceNet is no longer valid as they have merged with the Enelx - X-Way app. X - Way stands fo none of the chargers works properly.

Enel X was unable or unwilling to resolve my issues in a timely manner. It was also clear from their app that they were more interested in my setting up an account for them to make more money via public charging rather than making my own EVSEs work as advertised. I filed reports with the FTC and my state's Attorney General's office on Enel X's behavior, namely forcing a software upgrade that broke their units. I have hear nothing on these reports.

I ended up selling both JuiceBoxes on eBay and installing Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connectors. These are load-shared on a single circuit and are working perfectly (although there were some initial issues on their Universal Wall Connector and J1772; see posts here New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.).

By the way, here is a recent YouTube post on Enel X and JuiceBoxes,

My advice: stay away from Enel X!